collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blues Elk Downward Spiral  (Read 5360 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Blues Elk Downward Spiral
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2022, 07:08:29 AM »
I’m gonna get some heat for this one….but a lot of the issue is not necessarily predators. I have buddy who is one of only a few actual registered guides in the Washington blues, but will leave him unnamed. The problem is native harvest. He knows one individual that took 18 bulls in the 2021 season, all over 300”. This is a guy that if he said it, I believe him knowing his character. If that truly is the case I think the management is doomed between both predators and this issue.
For the record too…this is not slam to all native hunters. I know a lot who hunt for management, ethically, and are very aware of issues like this and even don’t agree with many of what others do. But,  when you have a populous, even just a few, that over harvest with no restrictions it can do as equal damage as a prominent overpopulate predator presence.

https://nwsportsmanmag.com/more-on-elk-calf-woes-in-washingtons-blue-mountains-wdfws-investigations/

Calf survival is a bigger problem.
https://www.union-bulletin.com/sports/wire/monitoring-documents-high-mountain-lion-predation-of-blue-mountains-elk-some-suggest-limiting-hunting/article_cb8af486-6382-11ec-8a0f-57ed06ea672b.html

Tribal hunters have been killing bulls in there for years and years.
*Not saying the excess tribal elk killing is ok. Just saying it's not new and I don't personally think it's the cause of the current problem.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 07:24:38 AM by jackelope »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2022, 07:31:43 AM »
that tribal harvest has always been there even when the elk pop was booming. The tribes are shooting bulls and not calves. The cow to calf ratio is alarming

:yeah:
They are shooting big bulls from the road. Where are all the spikes? Where are all the cow calf pairs? Where are the bulls in the Watershed? I have had two different groups of guys draw a Watershed tag in the last five years and both were willing to shoot almost any bull that was a six point or better as they have never shot a bull elk before. They went home empty handed. It's a bigger issue than native harvest. If anything I would say native harvest is probably down from where it was ten yrs ago.  :twocents:

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2022, 08:09:57 AM »
If it was down, it’s only because there are fewer bulls for them to shoot.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2022, 09:09:05 AM »
Only if there was a way to get hunters to predator hunt,more than they hunt deer and elk.
Now that would be a solution I could hang my hat on. :twocents:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2022, 09:18:26 AM »
Help out if the natives focused on hunting wolves and sea lions... for traditional ceremonial purposes

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2022, 09:21:10 AM »
Know a place with a dozen plus branch antlered bulls about, a couple pushing 400.  Have not seen a cow/calf for weeks and part of the area is open to cow take muzzleloader.  It is way more than predators of any ilk.  These imported beasts are in trouble after 100+ years and the folks that brought them in can not see past their paperwork.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Blues Elk Downward Spiral
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2022, 09:48:13 AM »
You guys saw the Blues collared calf study, right? Like 80% of them killed by predators, mostly lions if I remember correctly?
I don’t want to sound like a know it all of biology, but in order to have adults, you have to have babies that turn into adults. If all the babies are getting killed by lions, we’re going to eventually run out of bulls to kill.

9 years ago I had 5 different lions on the same camera in the Blues. That’s not good!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline buckfvr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2022, 09:56:13 AM »
Cats are the killing machines but how many of their kills get jacked by bear and wolf ?  Cats, I believe, are killing more and eating less which means they kill even more.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2022, 10:17:14 AM »
I must be blind to the cats, I have spend hundreds of hours glassing those hill sides looking for spring bears, never seen a cat. I'M NOT SAYING THEY AREN'T A BIG PROBLEM!!!  I believe they are a problem, It just baffles me that I haven't seen at least one of those b'tards.  Not having spring bear is the straw that breaks the camels back down there, it's a reflection of whats going on in our country, self inflicted wounds, done for a reason.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2022, 10:28:09 AM »
I’m gonna get some heat for this one….but a lot of the issue is not necessarily predators. I have buddy who is one of only a few actual registered guides in the Washington blues, but will leave him unnamed. The problem is native harvest. He knows one individual that took 18 bulls in the 2021 season, all over 300”. This is a guy that if he said it, I believe him knowing his character. If that truly is the case I think the management is doomed between both predators and this issue.
For the record too…this is not slam to all native hunters. I know a lot who hunt for management, ethically, and are very aware of issues like this and even don’t agree with many of what others do. But,  when you have a populous, even just a few, that over harvest with no restrictions it can do as equal damage as a prominent overpopulate predator presence.

It is necessarily predators. Out of 125 calves collared, only 9 survived. 70% of monitored calf mortality is cougar kills. This means less than a 1/3 of  the needed calf survival rate is surviving the first year. That's completely unsustainable. Tags should be severely limited, maybe some of them only to those who fill a cougar tag. Cougar harvest limits need to be doubled.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2022, 10:50:52 AM »
I must be blind to the cats, I have spend hundreds of hours glassing those hill sides looking for spring bears, never seen a cat. I'M NOT SAYING THEY AREN'T A BIG PROBLEM!!!  I believe they are a problem, It just baffles me that I haven't seen at least one of those b'tards.  Not having spring bear is the straw that breaks the camels back down there, it's a reflection of whats going on in our country, self inflicted wounds, done for a reason.
Shoot, I saw a cougar a couple weeks back in the middle of a fairly well traveled, paved road, in broad daylight. There is a large working rock pit and several homes very close. They are a massive problem.
What I have seen with my own eyes, in the 21 years I have lived here is sickening. The elk are disappearing amazingly fast. All of my ideas to help would never fly in this state. Sad.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 10:56:41 AM by Woodchuck »
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2022, 11:14:38 AM »
If only liberals got hoof rot.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2022, 11:31:12 AM »

Combined with dysentery

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2022, 11:39:33 AM »

Combined with dysentery
Rabies is always a good choice.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2022, 11:55:12 AM »
What are "calves?"
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx