collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Out of State hunting  (Read 4106 times)

Offline hoytxl2009

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Re: Out of State hunting
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2023, 06:15:29 AM »
A question for the guys that are putting in for numerous states every year....do you use a tag application service or navigate and keep track of all of the draws yourself?  With all of the different rules, units and deadlines it seems like those services might not be a bad option.  Just curious to here your opinions.

Use GoHunt and manage everything in a composition book for each state is what I do. I apply in 10 different states and can easily keep track of deadlines and information. Listen to application strategies on the way to work and eventually you will have them all memorized.  The square tool we all carry in out pockets as well. Once you find deadlines put them in your calendar and add a few Important notes you may like.

Much easier then people lead on.

Offline Beastmonger1987

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Wild Sheep Foundation
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2023, 12:48:55 PM »
In for 15 different states...just an irresponsible gambling addict at this point

I feel that. AZ Elk... drawn! NV Mule Deer...drawn! ID, OR, CA, UT, MT, NV, NM, AZ, CO, TX, WY. I'm running out of paid leave :dunno: best problem a new western hunter can have

New Zealand in 2025 for Red Stag on the budget for next year.

Offline Beastmonger1987

• Tracker
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2023, 12:55:36 PM »
A question for the guys that are putting in for numerous states every year....do you use a tag application service or navigate and keep track of all of the draws yourself?  With all of the different rules, units and deadlines it seems like those services might not be a bad option.  Just curious to here your opinions.

Moving from Florida in December 2020, Epic has shortened my learning curve on all things Western hunting, I knew absolutely nothing 3 years ago. I have them handle MT, NV, CO, and UT and use them for consultation and outfitter referral. I do all other states on my own. Next year I will probably take over NV from them, I have gotten that website down pretty good.

Offline carlyoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2023, 01:18:20 PM »
In for 15 different states...just an irresponsible gambling addict at this point

I feel that. AZ Elk... drawn! NV Mule Deer...drawn! ID, OR, CA, UT, MT, NV, NM, AZ, CO, TX, WY. I'm running out of paid leave :dunno: best problem a new western hunter can have

I'm planning a new Zealand hunt 2026. Gonna pick your brain a little if you don't mind

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2023, 01:27:40 PM »
I am limited because I'm a teacher.  Only really get about 5 days total (3 personal days + a weekend), so only WA plus one other state for me every year.  I rolled the dice and got my Idaho tag this year, so that's it.  Points in WY, probably start building Colorado points this year.   
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2023, 03:42:42 PM »

All on my own , do all my own research. Pretty hard to forget tag deadlines once you have applied. You will get multiple emails from states reminding you of the deadline. NV really won’t let you forget as they will text you 3-4 times about deadline  :chuckle:

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2023, 05:34:17 PM »
Tag application services and all of the "State draw strategy videos" on you tube and such have ruined most of your out of state hunting opportunities and odds. If you did all of your own research and applications in the past, you have seen your odds of drawing tags out of state go into the toilet in the last 5 years. This is what happens when you start spoon feeding the dummies. 
Zonk Volmer

Offline Beastmonger1987

• Tracker
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2023, 11:56:57 AM »

I'm planning a new Zealand hunt 2026. Gonna pick your brain a little if you don't mind

For sure! We went on our honeymoon (no hunting) in 2015, can't wait to get back!

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2023, 02:15:48 PM »
As things have played out, looks like my only out of state hunt will be Idaho deer this year. Buying points in Wyoming and Montana and already bought my points for Colorado.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2023, 03:26:31 PM »
I'm in for Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and Nevada.  Although with how the winter is playing out its going to be an interesting fall with significantly lower game populations in most of those states I'm afraid. 

With the mild winter here things might be a little better than average locally.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]