collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Multi season deer and Quality tag  (Read 5719 times)

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
Re: Multi season deer and Quality tag
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2023, 02:02:13 PM »
So (just so I have this straight), I cannot buy a rifle elk tag and put in for a muzzleloader special draw, right? ...or vice-versa...
That's the way I have always understood it, but I was just thinking the other day "Why would it matter?  If I buy a rifle elk tag, I have to turn my "regular" tag in in order to get the one I drew, right?" (I honestly don't know... :dunno: in 22 years of applying I have never drawn a quality tag.... :P)

Correct, if you all ready purchased a rifle elk tag and drew the multi elk you need to go into a store turn ing your elk tag and purchase and receive the multi tag. 22 years sis a long time you should put in for some easier tags to draw.

Fair criticism for the elk tag.  I live in the Blues, so I've been trying to draw one of the tags here. I have tried putting in for every weapon at one point or another. At this point, I'll keep trying... I know the area and it's right out my back door. 
Not a fair criticism for Quality Deer.  I want a decent mule deer tag anywhere north central.  The ones I put in for shouldn't be this hard to get.  I just have %$#@ luck in the draws.  I put in for the Blue Mountain Foothills Whitetail Tag in the buck category.  I know a lot of guys that have drawn that tag 3 or 4 times since I've lived here.  I drew it once... with 14 points.  WDFW just really hates my Wild ID# I think....

That makes sense as long as you understand why you’re not elk hunting.

...at this point (actually, 22 of them), I'm too deep down the rabbit hole to see a way out...  :rolleyes:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2023, 05:40:30 PM »
I always buy my multi season permit before the draw because I put in for quality deer tags for archery.  2nd deer tags for rifle season and late buck tags.

Offline Shooter4

• Scout
  • Groups: kuiu
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2023, 09:29:13 PM »
One benefit of buying the multi-season tag before applying for quality draws is the ability to put in for a quality hunt area for multiple chances to draw...my example is if you really want an Entiat quality permit then you can put in for the modern firearm permit and the archery permit using your two options for the quality application for one unit...

Grade
With a .01% chance 😂

Thankfully the tags odds aren’t that bad for most units or no body would bother any more.
Do you have GOHUNT?.. if not you should get it and see for yourself

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2023, 01:00:34 PM »
One benefit of buying the multi-season tag before applying for quality draws is the ability to put in for a quality hunt area for multiple chances to draw...my example is if you really want an Entiat quality permit then you can put in for the modern firearm permit and the archery permit using your two options for the quality application for one unit...

Grade
With a .01% chance 😂

Thankfully the tags odds aren’t that bad for most units or no body would bother any more.

You don’t need gohunt to calculate draw odds. When I put in for tags I look for draws with more like 10% or higher. People putting in for tags that are under 1% draw odds are crazy or just don’t like to hunt lol

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2023, 01:09:34 PM »

Grade
With a .01% chance 😂

You don’t need gohunt to calculate draw odds. When I put in for tags I look for draws with more like 10% or higher. People putting in for tags that are under 1% draw odds are crazy or just don’t like to hunt lol

When you calculate your own draw odds, are you taking the number of applicants in the hunting reg and dividing it by the number of tags?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Shooter4

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2023, 03:22:07 PM »

Grade
With a .01% chance 😂

Gohunts reliable and easier lol

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2023, 05:21:38 PM »
Whether my odds are 10 percent, 1 percent, or .1 doesn't really matter. I have never planned a Washington season around a permit since I started applying in 2003. If a permit is drawn, then i will look at the schedule and see if im willing to alter my fall season to participate in the permit hunt. Multi is one of my favorite to draw for that reason.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2023, 09:53:43 AM »

Grade
With a .01% chance 😂

And an unnecessary cost.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2023, 11:14:55 AM »

Grade
With a .01% chance 😂

And an unnecessary cost.

I'm actually not sure how anyone without insider information can know the actual "odds" of drawing a particular hunt.  There might be 100 people putting in for 10 tags, but how do you know how many points each person has?  I may be one of 300 people putting in for 6 elk tags, but my name doesn't just go in the hat once, it goes in the hat 441 times... I have no idea how many points the other 300 dudes are squaring....
Does GOHUNT have that info?  (I don't know, I'm not a member...) :dunno:

Offline Shooter4

• Scout
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »

Grade
With a .01% chance 😂

And an unnecessary cost.

I'm actually not sure how anyone without insider information can know the actual "odds" of drawing a particular hunt.  There might be 100 people putting in for 10 tags, but how do you know how many points each person has?  I may be one of 300 people putting in for 6 elk tags, but my name doesn't just go in the hat once, it goes in the hat 441 times... I have no idea how many points the other 300 dudes are squaring....
yes it breaks down all of that for instance the huckleberry moose tag a guy with 3 pts drew

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2023, 11:24:04 AM »

Grade
With a .01% chance 😂

And an unnecessary cost.

yes it breaks down all of that for instance the huckleberry moose tag a guy with 3 pts drew
I guess that's what you're paying for then.  So, can I put "my" points in and figure out my actually drawing odds with X amount of points? 

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2023, 11:44:30 AM »

Grade
With a .01% chance 😂

And an unnecessary cost.

I guess that's what you're paying for then.  So, can I put "my" points in and figure out my actually drawing odds with X amount of points?

They use the previous year's data for their odds so they are really just educated guesses. I use GoHunt for my research but know that what they present as draw percentages are more just to gauge what that particular tag took to draw in the past
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2023, 11:58:49 AM »
So, if GOHUNT says that I have a .01% chance of drawing my elk tag, that is assuming that my name is only going "in the hat" once? 

Offline Shooter4

• Scout
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2023, 01:09:14 PM »

Grade
With a .01% chance 😂

And an unnecessary cost.

yeah you can

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2023, 01:54:53 PM »
So, if GOHUNT says that I have a .01% chance of drawing my elk tag, that is assuming that my name is only going "in the hat" once?

No, you put in there how many points you have for that particular species, category etc so it calculates that as well. I use the draw trends feature probably more than anything. It helps me see the true point creep of the unit
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal