collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winter kill in the methow  (Read 3520 times)

Offline BB90

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Winter kill in the methow
« on: May 06, 2023, 10:24:06 PM »
It’s been a nasty winter and draw apps are coming due.  Has anyone heard any chatter about winter kill being an issue on the methow units?

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
Re: Winter kill in the methow
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 11:12:40 PM »
 I would suggest driving over and finding out firsthand. I'm witnessing a lot of people exaggerating winter kill this year in many areas hoping to discourage hunters from hunting their area. Don't believe anything that you don't see for yourself.
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 07:14:10 AM »
A buddy of mine has ran into over 35 carcasses so far while out riding in parts of the north valley since the melt started, some are winter kill, some predator kills. He’s seeing very few live deer.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 08:09:08 AM »
We spent the weekend of 4/29, 4/30, 5/1 fishing at Lake Pearrygin.  We saw very few deer in our old haunts around Winthrop.

We talked to a game warden and he told us that the winter kill was very bad this year.......one of the worst he has seen......not just deer, but high numbers of turkeys as well.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 10:30:04 AM »
50% of 100,000 is a number
50% of 1000 is a far smaller number but is a sickening reminder of the state we are in.   :'(

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 10:49:31 AM »
My area is NE WA .
But on one winter cam I had out.
Lots of animals on cam untill Dec 10.
I believe a big snow drop happened about that time.

That's all I got. Make your own conclusions.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline HereDuckyDucky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2023, 10:57:18 AM »
We had approximately 36" of snow drop in 32 hours the first week or so of November. It only got worse from there. The mid sections of each single one of the trees on my property were eaten down to the twigs (including pines, spruces, and other conifers).

RW

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2023, 05:44:40 PM »
I've put on a lot of miles this spring over here. I've yet to see a mule deer over 2k ft. Surprised to find a few whiteys at higher elevations than I've seen before. Not finding any winter kills in the mtns, but seeing virtually no deer sign either. The turkeys definitely got smacked pretty hard in several areas as well here. The mtn birds are very few and far between this year. This has to be an all time low on deer numbers in the county. On a bright note, I've seen more grouse than normal.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 05:27:40 AM »
50% of 100,000 is a number
50% of 1000 is a far smaller number but is a sickening reminder of the state we are in.   :'(
50% of 100 is more like the true number over there, but hey they are still offering special permits, and antlerless tags so everyone is in luck.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 08:49:45 AM »
I've put on a lot of miles this spring over here. I've yet to see a mule deer over 2k ft. Surprised to find a few whiteys at higher elevations than I've seen before. Not finding any winter kills in the mtns, but seeing virtually no deer sign either. The turkeys definitely got smacked pretty hard in several areas as well here. The mtn birds are very few and far between this year. This has to be an all time low on deer numbers in the county. On a bright note, I've seen more grouse than normal.

One of my clients who has an orchard in the methow said she consistently had 200+ mule deer in her orchard all winter long. The annihilated a lot of trees because the snow was so deep they were able to reach way high up into the trees
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2023, 08:57:54 AM »
This winter was really not that hard.  No one remembers the late 70s - early 80s.  Or the late 80's early 90's.  Much much harder winters.  If there is a lack of deer its more than a normaly snow year.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2023, 11:43:12 PM »
This winter was really not that hard.  No one remembers the late 70s - early 80s.  Or the late 80's early 90's.  Much much harder winters.  If there is a lack of deer its more than a normaly snow year.

+1
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2023, 10:03:32 PM »

Was the majority of the winter ranged burned off then? Were there several active wolf packs then? Were there lions running free without hound seasons then? Were there homes spread throughout the entire winter range then? The answers are no. I'd say heavy early snows that didn't leave until later in the spring was fairly determental to the low deer populations as well. Also, was this winter a major factor in the low deer population here now? No. Did the winter we have help the population? No.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2023, 10:15:12 PM »

Was the majority of the winter ranged burned off then? Were there several active wolf packs then? Were there lions running free without hound seasons then? Were there homes spread throughout the entire winter range then? The answers are no. I'd say heavy early snows that didn't leave until later in the spring was fairly determental to the low deer populations as well. Also, was this winter a major factor in the low deer population here now? No. Did the winter we have help the population? No.

Wow, so negative!  :rolleyes:  :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2023, 05:25:59 AM »

Exactly my point, then we agree.  Seattle spreading East and the Wolves/Cougars have more to do with.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]