collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2022 idaho controlled hunt  (Read 7439 times)

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
Re: 2022 idaho controlled hunt
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2023, 04:12:12 PM »
 :tup: :tup:

Offline Sneaky Squirrel

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2023, 04:19:21 PM »
Stories like this are part of the reason I joined. Long time lurker before I signed up but stories like this always brought me back.

I just wished you would of waited until after June 5th to post though.... Thinking my draw odds in Idaho will tank after the stories out.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2023, 04:44:16 PM »
By this point we were feeling like we were starting to figure out where the deer were, and what areas/elevations/terrain features we should focus on. A lot of high country being inaccessible helped narrow that down as well. We came to the conclusion that we would shift strategies and do much more glassing and observing from a distance and covering ground starting on the 4th day.

We woke up early and while big G was drinking his metimucil and coffee, he said “i had a weird dream last night and that means you will kill today!” I laughed and made fun of him being old and got excited, we hung around camp and waited for close to light as we didn't have far to go to where we wanted to start glassing.

We made it to the first area we wanted to glass and i got out my tripod and binos. I was seeing some deer and G was busy getting in a fight with his spotting scope (he is an archery hunter through and through and doesnt spotting scope well at all). After he beat the scope into submission and threw it back in the truck he started using his binos and said “hey look, theres a buck”

He was looking way too far with his binos to see that, but i moved the spotter over there and sure enough, he was right. Within a couple seconds of looking at that deer made the decision that we were going after him. My methods are simple really, g2s that are near or as long as the chest to back, and front and back forks that the deers head can fit in.

Dropped a pin on my on x where he was, and verified that it was public land, and we were off.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2023, 05:02:23 PM »
We quickly made the drive around and back over to below where we had located the buck. Looking at the on x screenshot we parked on the left edge at the turnout above the deer pin (that pin was from day 2)

Got geared up with my rifle strapped to my pack and took off up the steep hill. We needed to gain 200-300 feet of elevation and quickly.

About a third of the way up G got my attention and pointed me to a buck just above us and moving out. Luckily it was the 3x4 from a few days ago. I kept marching up to where there was a small gap and a bushy tree to cover my peaking into the wide open shelf.

As i neared the crest i slowed down to catch my breath, and slowly picked my way over a foot at a time and glassing each new spot i could see. There were so many deer in that area that it was tough to look at them all and not get busted.

My heart sank when i realized i could see most all of the area and while there were many deer, the buck we were after was nowhere to be seen. There was a spike and 3 point chasing and running does all over. We took a few minutes to watch, listen, and think about what to do next. I knew i wasn't going to leave this area, but i couldn't believe that buck would leave that many does.

Scanning to the left it became apparent that there was still a little terrain that we still couldnt see, but there was no cover to get to where we could see. I looped back and moved left and started peaking back over the top, but it rolled just enough to block view. Finally i decided that i just need to crawl up. There was some kind of weed, brush stuff on that thing that was the loudest vegetation on the face of the earth! Every time i moved i would scrape against one weed and it would move and make the next 10 move and scrape.

Finally i got to where i spotted a bedded buck through the vegetation! Confirmed it was him with my binos. Cleared enough pf a shooting position that i could make the shot and got on my rifle. He was bedded facing straight away but looking left so i had a good view of his neck. There were 6-8 does milling around him, but they were getting nervous of us, so i knew i needed to do something soon.  I whispered to G that i was going to shoot him in the neck and settled back in.

As i was about to shoot, the buck jumped up and turned broadside and i could see does running, so i moved and slammed the trigger when my crosshairs hit his shoulder. There was a loud impact and he dropped. I racked another shell thinking i may have been a bit high. 30-40 seconds later he tried to get his legs under him and one more shot to the chest did him in. 

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2023, 05:06:03 PM »

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2023, 05:09:50 PM »
Congrats on a cool Buck, thanks for the story and pics!
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2023, 05:10:35 PM »
We took our time walking up to him, it turns out he was everything i expected and was hoping he would be. His forks and tines are right where i estimated them. Not a wide buck, but very tall. He is definitely by best buck to date.

We made it to him, ate some snacks and then broke him down and carried him out.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2023, 05:14:11 PM »
Very nice buck and story  :tup:

Online High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2023, 05:20:34 PM »
Congrats on a well earned buck that looks like pretty tough country! That’s a great deer I like your judging method of the g2’s and face sized forks, I will have to give that a try  :tup:

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2023, 05:25:48 PM »

BB

Thanks for a awesome story and huge congrats on a true trophy :drool:
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Is there anything better than hunting?
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2023, 06:29:29 PM »
Congrats on a beautiful buck

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2023, 06:30:19 PM »
Great story and great buck!

Online Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2023, 06:33:53 PM »
Nice write up and a great buck! Man, November mule deer stories just never get old  :tup:

Offline go4steelhd

• Sourdough
  • MT Wild Sheep Foundation Life Time Member
  • Groups: go4steelhd
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2023, 06:38:02 PM »
 :tup:Nice buck
NW__HUNTER Instagram

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2023, 06:40:31 PM »
Great buck and hunt! Thanks for sharing!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw