collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Electric trucks ? No thank you  (Read 18858 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Electric trucks ? No thank you
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2023, 11:38:10 AM »
More news about EV batteries.

https://www.the-express.com/lifestyle/cars/122681/firefighters-gallons-water-flaming-tesla

Alabama firefighters needed 36,000 gallons of water to extinguish a flaming Tesla Model Y SUV that fully ignited on Christmas after its driver crashed on an interstate highway.

The motorist, who authorities arrested following the crash for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol, had his electric model burst into flames due to a thermal runaway reaction within the automobile’s battery.

Thermal runaway within an electric vehicle (EV) describes a situation where the temperature of a battery’s cells increases uncontrollably, creating a self-sustaining and rapidly escalating chain reaction, possibly resulting in a fire or explosion. 
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2023, 11:46:50 AM »
More news about EV batteries.

https://www.the-express.com/lifestyle/cars/122681/firefighters-gallons-water-flaming-tesla

Alabama firefighters needed 36,000 gallons of water to extinguish a flaming Tesla Model Y SUV that fully ignited on Christmas after its driver crashed on an interstate highway.

The motorist, who authorities arrested following the crash for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol, had his electric model burst into flames due to a thermal runaway reaction within the automobile’s battery.

Thermal runaway within an electric vehicle (EV) describes a situation where the temperature of a battery’s cells increases uncontrollably, creating a self-sustaining and rapidly escalating chain reaction, possibly resulting in a fire or explosion. 
Holy cow...gives The China Syndrome a new meaning

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Bruce Vandervort

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2024, 07:38:08 PM »
Why just Western Washington?

Over 180 EV chargers coming to Western Washington in nationwide buildout

Over $41 million in federal grants will bring over 180 electric vehicle chargers to communities across Western Washington.

The money is part of $623 million in EV charger grants announced nationwide by the Biden administration Thursday.

As part of an effort to reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from America's reliance on combustion engine cars, President Joe Biden set a goal of building out a national network of at least 500,000 electric vehicle chargers by 2030. Electric vehicle sales across the U.S. have more than quadrupled in the past few years.

Congress approved $7.5 billion in a 2021 infrastructure law aimed at meeting Biden's goal of expanding the national network of charging stations. To date, the Associated Press reported that the number of publicly available charging ports has grown by nearly 70% to 168,426.

Washington state is a leader in the electric vehicle transition. About 150,000 electric vehicles are registered in Washington, a segment of passenger vehicles that has grown sixfold in five years. While the price tag on a new or used EV is still out of reach for many, a crush of people are ditching their gasoline-powered cars.

In Washington state, the grants will add to local efforts to incentivize drivers to switch to EVs through state and federal tax credits and exemptions.

Drivers traveling between Oregon and Canada on I-5 have consistent access to charging stations, but Washington drivers have identified hundreds of additional locations across the state where they'd like to see charging stations.

For the city of Port Angeles, which is receiving about $2.1 million to install 50 chargers along Highway 101, it'll help ensure locals and tourists coming to hike, bike, swim and explore the peninsula can drive an EV and feel confident they'll have somewhere to charge up, Public Works Director Mike Healy said.

The city in 2022 resolved to reduce transportation emissions as part of its Climate Resiliency Plan. Emissions from cars, trucks and buses traveling through the city make up about two-thirds of Port Angeles' carbon footprint, the city found.

Currently, Port Angeles has about a dozen chargers at city hall, local hotels and waterfront businesses.

"We are honored to receive this award and fulfill this important project," Mayor Kate Dexter wrote in an email. "This grant will not only enhance accessibility of electric vehicles in our community, it will also contribute significantly to our City's sustainability and climate resiliency goals."

Energy Northwest received about $14.6 million to bring 40 fast chargers and 12 slower chargers to rural and Indigenous communities across Western Washington and Northern Oregon. The utility plans to build charging stations in Forks, Ilwaco, Kalaloch, Kamilche, Longview, Port Ludlow, Quilcene, Raymond, Sequim and Shelton.

Another $12 million is coming to the ports of Seattle and Tacoma to help meet their electrification goals and reduce particulate pollution that wafts into nearby communities from trucks, ships and other idling vehicles.

South Seattle has long borne the burden of hosting some of the city's biggest polluting industries, and studies in recent years have found that exposure has contributed to premature deaths, births, and more deaths caused by cancer, heart disease and chronic lower respiratory disease.

The intent is to use the money to develop one or more shared electric truck charging hubs to serve a network of about 4,500 heavy-duty trucks that provide cargo hauling services to the ports of Seattle and Tacoma.

"The thing that is encouraging is at the federal, state and local level, people have identified trucks as an important thing to address," Port of Seattle Commissioner Fred Felleman said. "On the downside, everybody wants to deal with trucks and coordination is not one of our greatest strengths."

Felleman said while clean truck technology exists, it is largely unaffordable to the independent immigrant truck driver community. He wants to focus efforts on identifying port properties that could be used to build out charging infrastructure.

Up north, the city of Mount Vernon will use $12.5 million to install nearly 80 charging ports in a public parking garage by the Skagit River and I-5. The intent is to add another 200 charging ports here in the future, according to a news release from U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell's office.

"These grants will help build out the EV charging infrastructure our state needs to reduce driving costs, lower carbon pollution, and improve the air quality at our two largest ports," Cantwell said in a statement. "More charging stations make it easier for Washingtonians to go electric and enjoy savings over the life of their cars from fueling with clean and affordable electricity instead of gasoline."

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/3296256348103-over-180-ev-chargers-coming-to-western-washington-in-nationwide-buildout?_

Offline MADMAX

• Old Salt
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2024, 07:43:07 PM »
Why just western Wa ?

Too cold on the east side🥴
I Ain't Captain Walker.

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2024, 08:19:23 PM »
Something I’ve having a hard time wrapping my brain around is this. So I buy an EV. Ditch my perfectly solid F150 4x4. Now I’m driving my EV and someone else is driving my old F150. My brain says my bank account is way less than it was and that 2014 Ford is still drinking unleaded gas and blowing emissions out its behind. How does that even make sense? The old truck is still on the roads?? I’m neither pro or anti EV by the way.

And I swear that I recently read where Ford is cutting back production of their pickup this year?

elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Online jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2024, 08:24:40 PM »
So the batteries are better for our environment?

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2024, 08:36:28 PM »
Something I’ve having a hard time wrapping my brain around is this. So I buy an EV. Ditch my perfectly solid F150 4x4. Now I’m driving my EV and someone else is driving my old F150. My brain says my bank account is way less than it was and that 2014 Ford is still drinking unleaded gas and blowing emissions out its behind. How does that even make sense? The old truck is still on the roads?? I’m neither pro or anti EV by the way.

And I swear that I recently read where Ford is cutting back production of their pickup this year?

elksnout

I think their basic plan is that as combustion engine vehicles crap out, they are replaced with EV's.   

And yes, I read that Ford was cutting their E Truck production by 50!!
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2024, 08:42:52 PM »
Don't forget that hertz is cutting their ev fleet by 1/3. Just announced they are selling them and going back to Gas vehicle's.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2024, 05:32:39 AM »
Do those chargers cost anything to use?  I just read that thing about port Angeles getting 50 of them - who pays the bill when they’re used??

Offline MADMAX

• Old Salt
« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2024, 05:57:40 AM »
Do those chargers cost anything to use?  I just read that thing about port Angeles getting 50 of them - who pays the bill when they’re used??

They are not free
wait until the druggies figure out they have lots of copper wiring say goodbye to all those nice cords
I Ain't Captain Walker.

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2024, 08:15:58 AM »

Not just PA...the whole 101 corridor out to the coast...
Which is just stupid. How about fix the roads first instead of pander to a couple dozen people that want to go to the beach driving their EV...
I drive 101, 112, 113 weekly...they all suck..

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2024, 09:22:42 AM »
Yep Bidenomoics!!  As are all the wind farms!  Government LOVES other people's money!   Just like Rats, they love any new shinny object!!

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/build-back-better-spending.946143/#post-9276580

ever wonder WHY our roads, bridges and ferry system are in the shape they are??  Not a "new shinny object"!!
The only good tree, is a stump!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Elk multi season by WonkyWapiti
[Today at 01:33:43 PM]

Regs are out by timberhunter
[Today at 01:25:00 PM]

Hunter orange for rifle bear hunting by builtfordtough
[Today at 01:22:18 PM]

Alberta or BC moose outfitter needed by greenhead_killer
[Today at 01:04:59 PM]

Question Calling In A Tom From Where My Set Up Is by Fourteen14