collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spare Wings?  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Waterdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Spare Wings?
« on: November 18, 2007, 10:36:26 PM »
Hey!
 I've got a dog that wants to learn to bring back ducks. In order to teach him, I was told I need some wings and a frozen duck. Is there anyone near Federal Way that would be able to help me out? I'm new and have no gear yet other than a good dog who sheds a lot so any help would be appreciated.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
Re: Spare Wings?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 05:19:01 PM »
talk to shadowcat, i believe he is from that area or round abouts and he is an avid bird hunter. i could mail you some duck wings if thats all you want? i have some widgeon and mallard layin around  i believe. let me know...............AJ

Offline Waterdog

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:02:29 PM »
Hmmm,
AJ you're in PA? I haven't been on a good motorcycle ride in a while. Let me know when and I can come pick them up.

Matt

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 06:09:25 PM »
Anytime man. usually the weekends work best. in the afternoon because i duck hunt in the morning. let me know what your schedule looks like. there still green so they would need to dry. or i have a couple dry from a few years ago. either or. i have some you can have.

Offline Justin7mm

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 07:57:15 PM »
I have several frozen ducks/wings that you could use to train your dog. different species and sizes. I use them for my dog and they work great. Call me if you want, i'm in Puyallup.
Justin
253-548-6948

Shadow Cat

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 09:43:20 AM »
Waterdog...
I will save my wings for you. I live in Kirkland and have no use for them. I have been shooting mallards and teal. I will see about saving a duck or two for you as well. Do you want them whole or gutted?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 03:04:54 PM »
leave them whole, just throw them in the freezer.  use them for some training, then throw them back in the freezer. one duck will last a while.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 09:09:35 PM »
I would not do the above. Not to say it is wrong or anything but to each his own.

Keep up with your wing idea. I take a pair of wings and rubberband them around a retrieving dummie of your picking. one of those bumpy ones about a foot long will do. wrap the rubber band around as many times as you can and tose that. your dog will get the feeling and taste of feathers in his mouth. i also after a while when the dog gets the feeling of it in his mouth will start to put weights in the dummie so to strengthen the dogs mouth and neck. he will learn sensitivity as time goes.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 07:12:29 AM »
I would not train with a frozen bird. It tends to develop a hard mouth.

I didn't mean training while the bird is frozen.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline arrowflinger

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ChasingWildCreatures
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 07:49:56 AM »
When I picked my pup up, I had a sock filled with duck feathers that she played with. Then I introduced a duck wing. when she was good with that we went into the back yard, I tie a wing to a fishing pole and teased her with it. What I saw was she got real birdie after that. Then the dummies with the wings attached came into play. next the frozen duck, then the pigeons. after months of working with I took her down to a private Pheasant place. Opening duck season, first bird down she did not want to pick up...........after I worked with her on that she had no problems. Now at 11 yrs, she still surprises me with things she will do......................Remember, they have their own minds to.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 06:19:31 PM »
How does the dog learn sensitivity?

What is your method if your pup refuses to pick up the dummie with a wing on it?

and Just  curious what you feel the negative affects of live birds are?

Im not a proffesional dog trainer. I just know that from personnel experiances and from life lessons that this is what worked for me. i w3as saying you teach a dog sensitivity and how to have a soft mouth by first training them with a dummy. one with the bumps all over it. then practice afterwords with a wing or two, if he refuses and he did at first i took the wings off and threw it a couple more times and then tried again with the wing. eventually the dog will get so caught up in trying to fetch the dummie that he wont relize what he put in his mouth and it will soon after that become second nature. I also like what arrowflinger said filling a sock with a bunch of duckfeathers i believe would work great also but still training with the hard dummy in between. Oh! and i have no negative effects of using live birds what so ever. None. Its that i have never needed to use them before, i am just stating that i never needed to go that far to train a dog. I appoligize if thats how it came off. Use whatever works for you. everyones case is different. i was just saying that i dont. ultamittely i believe that time and patiance makes a great hunting dog.................... 

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 11:24:01 PM »
yah i didnt know that so many people introduced dead birds on there puppies so young or even live pigeons. even younger that what you were saying i guess. you got me thinking and wondering some questions because i am soon to buy a new puppy. so i looked on other websites. IT IS ON THE WISH LIST. #1 santa for christmas i want a Puppy :chuckle:. and i want to train this dog right. well actually i want him to be great and to learn fast. So i am trying to learn more so that there are no mistakes made and no time wasted while im training. But lndshrk ill keep you in mind when i get one because i am sure when the time roles around ill be needing more Questions answered. thanks buddy...........AJ

Offline GettysNWGuiding

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 12:57:17 PM »
if you dont mind scoter, golden eye, and other sea duck wings I could give you TONS.  We get at least 40 birds a weekend just let me know if you want them... I am in marysville.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]