collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GSCO v. FNAWS  (Read 3386 times)

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
GSCO v. FNAWS
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:20:19 PM »
I received a free Glam Slam Club/Ovis mag last year and was reading it again a couple nights ago.  They made several references to a lawsuit with FNAWS from what I interpreted to be over the use of the term "Grand Slam".  Anybody know much about this?  Sounded like GSCO won $2m in damages or something like that.  Sure seems like a huge waste of funds for two non-profit organizations that presumably have the same cause.  Obviously protecting your trademarks and such is a big deal with for-profit companies, but I guess I don't understand the reason behind it with non-profits.  Comes across as an ego play to me.   :dunno: 

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
Re: GSCO v. FNAWS
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:22:19 PM »
If thats true, I'm a little pissed for donating money thats going toward a lawsuit/payment   >:(

HUGE waste of money

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »
I hope my post doesn't turn people off FNAWS.  As noted, I don't know anything about the suit other than what I read in the GSCO magazine, but they (GSCO) were apparently the instigators (plaintiffs) here.  If anything, I'm going to support FNAWS now. 

Offline jager

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 12:22:17 AM »
Obviously protecting your trademarks and such is a big deal with for-profit companies, but I guess I don't understand the reason behind it with non-profits.  Comes across as an ego play to me.

I know there is at least one member on this site that is a member of GSCO...and I sincerely do not mean to offend.

Personally I think the lawsuit was B.S.... Huge waste of money that could have been spent on something positive. HELLO?....2M for sheep habitat or study?
Protecting the name grand slam...okay, I get it but....regardless... "The slam" of all four of north american sheep will forever be called a grand slam....big deal.
Go after MLB or professional tennis or how 'bout Denney's.

Let me put it this way....Grand Slam Club/Ovis is a WORLDWIDE sheep/goat hunters club...... This is THE high rollers club.

FNAWS is the North American Sheep hunters club.

If you choose to join or donate to GSCO your money may end up in Tajikistan for a marco polo study or China for a blue sheep study.
This is money that other countries may not see. Without the sheep hunters placing a huge value on the animals they wish to pursue, they surely would be in grave danger.
The GSCO does contribute to north american "sheep" education and conservation which is great.
As I said it is a worldwide club.

I do appreciate all of the wildlife this world has to offer but.....

Although a worthwhile cause I would prefer to spend "locally"...... FNAWS

My   :twocents:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:43:24 AM by jager »

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »
It's all about the phrase grand slam
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 03:12:30 PM »
It's kind of old news and there are other threads on it.  I have been a member of both but will try and put my time and effort into the local clubs like WAFNAWS if they want my help.  I have read the lawsuit and judgment and don't think it's all that important.  It was a lawsuit over naming rights and other issues.

I don't know if you were referring to me Jager but my membership to GSCO just lapsed.  I like the GSCO magazine but sometimes I get the impression or feeling like there is no reason to like, talk about, or look at sheep unless you are going to kill it.  Every species or sub species is reduced to a checklist and you check off all the ones on your checklist.  If you don't send in your photos and story then they don't recognize your slam or give you a slam number and it means nothing.  Personally, if I had all four sheep I wouldn't care if someone recognizes it.  I still know I have them and that's all that matters to me.  In retrospect, I enjoyed the pictures and stories in the magazine but I'm not sure it's my cup of tea.  Maybe it will be something I can enjoy later in life or my mind may change over time...?

By the way, they aren't FNAWS anymore.  It's the Wild Sheep Foundation.  (I wonder if that has something to do with the lawsuit...)

Offline jager

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »

Pope: Actually, I was not referring to you.

I revised my post somewhat after my initial response.

The lawsuit aside....which in my opinion was somewhat ridiculous.

GSCO is a very elitist club.
I'm not spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on sheep and or goat hunting per year....or, in my lifetime for that matter.

I like yourself, don't need my name in a book or to be recognized at a banquet for ALL the money that I have spent while hunting.

I didn't want to knock the club because they are pro-hunting and they support a sustainable harvest of certain species.
The magazine is pretty cool.

I, myself would rather contribute to something a little closer to home.

FNAWS did change their name about the same time as the lawsuit though   :dunno:

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 09:57:26 PM »
Thanks for the info Pope.  I was curious about the reason behind the name change and went to the WSF website (didn't really find an answer).  They have a link to the official Injunction under the About tab, which gives the court's findings.

http://www.wildsheepfoundation.org/Page.php/cp/Injunction

Interesting, the suit was heard in the U.S. District Court in Alabama, with an Alabama jury.  GSCO is an Alabama non-profit.  Could be that the merits were there for any jurisdiction, but you never know when home turf advantage may play a part.  The damages/penalty were $1m each for WSF (then FNAWS) and ISHA.

I agree with Jager...generally speaking they both have worthy goals (more sheep), but I certainly like the idea of my funds going to more localized efforts.  
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:42:05 AM by WAcoueshunter »

Offline provider

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 09:10:05 AM »
I have been a member of both but will try and put my time and effort into the local clubs like WAFNAWS if they want my help.

popeshawnpaul, we are always looking for good help.  If you haven't already, you should join WAFNAWS and then inquire about ways to "help".
"A greater appreciation for the outdoors and the hunting experience."

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 12:00:30 PM »
I'm a current member.  I'll be showing up for my first bighorn days here in a few weeks.  Anyone need a photographer?   ;)

Offline starbailey

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 10:05:58 AM »
I've thought about this topic for some time and I'm still not sure how to comment but here we go. I am currently a member of both groups and will continue as I think both orgs. do a great job in promoting and protecting the sheep/goats of the World. National FNAWS (WSF) does have ISHA as a partner that promotes world sheep/goat conservation/hunting just as GSC/O. Both give awards for hunting accomplishments also.
I was a member of FNAWS first and that is where my loyalty and heart will always be. But at what point did the FNAWS board think that GSC/O was serious about holding FNAWS to the terms of their agreement they previously made. The judge found FNAWS guilty on ALL accounts and I think he even used the term "with malice". FNAWS had to have some clue they were going to loose this suite. I do think egos had the biggest part in this.
I cant believe the situation that had these two x-partners in a law suit couldn't have been overcame. It is total BS to be spending conservation dollars on lawyers. I/we donate our money because we are passionate about a cause and that is where we think our money will be spent.(putting sheep on the mountain!) To me it doesn't matter what mountains in whatever part of the world.
I love to hunt and at this stage in life I want to do as much mountain hunting that I can because there will come a time when I fiscally might not be able to. And for me the adventure of the hunt is probable more important than the animal harvested but it is still a hunt and I want to come home with a trophy. GSC/O gives me a glimpse into the hunting adventures available. Plus, I look for opportunities at raffles. It only takes one ticket to win and GSC/O have raffles for hunts that I'm not able to afford (now and possibly ever) but I can afford a $20-$100 raffle ticket. NATIONAL FNAWS hasn't promoted their raffles as well as GSC/O. Matter of fact WAFNAWS had such a better raffle for our fundraiser this year, that is where I spent my money not at National!
I do hope National FNAWS(Wild Sheep Foundation) turns this situation into a positive step forward because I'll be there to support the wild sheep cause.
I have friends that are on both sides of this fence(passionately also) and there are so many aspects its hard to agree on all of them so we just agree to disagree.
Thanks for letting me ramble.
Bryan

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 10:09:29 AM »
 8)   Nice thoughts and words.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal