collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Duck ID List  (Read 9372 times)

Offline addicted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
Duck ID List
« on: December 06, 2007, 01:40:46 PM »
surfing around trying to figure out what the hell i shot this morning and this list was cool but still didnt have what i was looking for. It has Audio on most of the ducks with pictures and a description on lifestyle, migration, and breeding.

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowlgallery.aspx?from=duckidshortcuts
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington

Offline SnowGooser

• Pilgrim
Re: Duck ID List
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 09:31:40 AM »
you shot ducks and you didn't know what they were? not cool dude. your asking for a ticket
Hammer time!

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 10:14:39 AM »
you shot ducks and you didn't know what they were? not cool dude. your asking for a ticket

knew it was a duck in the air. thought it was a bluebill in my hand but the color of the bill was off.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Offline Professor Chaos

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 11:31:12 AM »

You should be able to ID every bird you shoot before you pull the trigger.  Lots of experienced hunters still make mistakes, but not knowing what you are shooting is just irresponsible. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:28:32 AM by sisu »
Bringer of Destruction and Doom

Offline snocohunter83

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 06:09:28 PM »
I love how everyone is so quick to bust your balls.  :chuckle: Most of the times when i've seen people trying to ID a duck it usually turns out to be what they initially thought it was in different plumage or with some slight coloring differences. It's really unlikely you shot something you weren't supposed to. We all do our best but you can't always be 100% especially when the adrenaline is pumpin. Thanks for the helpful link though.
Take her easy, and if she's easy take her twice.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 07:04:54 PM »
I don't know, its pretty good advice maybe a bit to the point, but we are men here, at least most of us.(Thats for you Michelle) This is the place to come to learn something though, so lets ID this duck for him without busting any more chops.  I think the point has been made.....pictures???

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 10:52:01 PM »
yeah everyone jumped on the bandwagon there for a sec.

i really concentrate on not shooting illegal things. the list of obvious things your not aloud to shoot around here is smaller than the list of things your aloud to shoot so its easier to work it backwards for my first year doin this.

it has all the traits of a bluebill but the pics of bluebills i see online have bright blue strait bills. this one has a dark blue bill with kind of a shoveler shape. ill see if i can get the carcass outta the trash. breasts are already in the freezer.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 11:32:47 PM »
hell now that im looking at it again its kinda like a scaup but still it has a darker bill than the pics in the regs and online. i dunno if the pic really shows it but its a dark blue bill.

Offline SnowGooser

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 10:29:24 AM »
that is a bluebill and you can only shoot three daily. That is definitely a bird you need to know.
Hammer time!

Offline FISHBOY

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 04:25:46 PM »
Well said boneaddict, I've hunted ducks all of my life and admit that I'm pretty damn good at ID'ing ducks, however their is occasionally a time when I'm a little unsure of what is flying.  I'm sure all of you who busted his balls have, a time or two, shot at a duck without knowing exactly what it is, escpecially a diver as is in this case.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 04:31:42 PM »
this is on page 11 of your wdfw migratory waterfowl and upland game seasons pamphlet.

b) Daily bag limit: 7 ducks – to include
not more than 2 hen mallard, 1 pintail, 3
scaup, 2 canvasback, 2 redhead, 1 harlequin,
4 scoter, and 4 long-tailed duck.

where's blue bill?

Offline SnowGooser

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 05:17:11 PM »
a bluebill is a scaup. There are two kinds of scuap, Greater and Lesser. They lumped them together for the regs. Instead of busting your balls I would suggest you get a couple of duck books and read up. If you are interested in hunting ducks they will be a good read. Ask for the lemaster method book for christmas.
Hammer time!

Offline coyotemadness

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 05:34:32 PM »
Blue bills!! Dont you trust my judgment josh? Guess you had to be there to know what i'm talking about. That bill looks bluer in real life.
BTW i'm just kidding  :tung:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 10:44:49 PM by coyotemadness »

sisu

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 08:00:31 PM »
Ya and then there is the long-tailed duck that does not appear in the Audubon book because it's anOLD SQUAW!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal