collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Imported canadian wolf kills  (Read 35491 times)

Offline mulehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Imported canadian wolf kills
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 12:38:55 AM »
South of Twisp bout 4 miles

He thought he post his picture but didnt work so He sent me pm, Asked me to post his picture for him. So here his two pictures.

Mulehunter

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »
Man this is great.  I glad you guys are getting more proactive about these wolves.  Great pictures did you report them?  If so do you know what was done about it?  Especially the livestock kills. 

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/diversty/soc/gray_wolf/contacts.htm

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 08:09:52 AM »
Kain...pretty safe to assume none of those pics were reported, nor was the dead cattle that he found.

too bad, because that is the only way we will get anywhere closer to  delisting. we can post pictures on here all day long, and as interesting as it is for us to see, it means nothing towards progressing to delisting. as much as some think they will never get delisted here in WA...it's real safe to say that if nobody reports this stuff, we will absolutely NEVER get delisted.

those pics have pretty much all been posted on here before..does anyone have any new ones?

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »
Kain...pretty safe to assume none of those pics were reported, nor was the dead cattle that he found.

too bad, because that is the only way we will get anywhere closer to  delisting. we can post pictures on here all day long, and as interesting as it is for us to see, it means nothing towards progressing to delisting. as much as some think they will never get delisted here in WA...it's real safe to say that if nobody reports this stuff, we will absolutely NEVER get delisted.

those pics have pretty much all been posted on here before..does anyone have any new ones?

What are you trying to say jackelope? We will never be delisted in Wa.? Are you saying that no matter how many wolves there are delisting won't happen in Wa.? People that live where these wolves are  know that there are more wolves than wdwl are claiming. So you want everyone to tell them what they already know. Good Idea, but tell us also, so there are two records of it. That way we can take our info. to them, and see what they have to say :o

As far as the cow he found, you know as well as I do, unless you find the wolves killing the cow, or within a day, wdwl are not even going to set their coffee cup down and leave the shade. How much room do we have on here for pics. before we spring a leak. ;)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 08:52:08 AM »
wolfbait...read what i typed.
pretty safe to assume none of those pics were reported, nor was the dead cattle that he found.

too bad, because that is the only way we will get anywhere closer to  delisting.

people have to report. don't put words in my mouth.
you have to quit worrying about what they say in response to the reports and JUST DO IT. as far as the cow kill...it does  no friggin good to not report it. if you report it, there is at least some chance in hell it will have an effect, even if it is slight. i can't believe i have made this statement umpteen times and here i am saying it again. it's a really simple concept.
WE CAN POST PICTURES ON THE INTERNET OF OLD  "WOLF" TRACKS IN THE SNOW TILL THE SKY TURNS GREEN...IT DOES NO GOOD FOR OUR CAUSE. who's to say that those wolf tracks aren't labrador retriever tracks? there's much better odds of getting a reaction by telling the people who control the delisting process about the tracks and the kills than there is by posting pics on the internet for us to look at.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 09:09:14 AM »
I wish I had taken pics of the 100 or so carcasses I found that day I was shed hunting and watched the wolf take down another.  THen maybe some folks would be as angry as I am to this day about their sport killing, or "wholesale slaughter".  Maddest I think I have ever been.  You guys have heard the story, just wish I had had a camera or a gun for that matter.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 09:19:14 AM »
 :mgun:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 09:37:37 AM »
wolfbait...read what i typed.
pretty safe to assume none of those pics were reported, nor was the dead cattle that he found.

too bad, because that is the only way we will get anywhere closer to  delisting.

people have to report. don't put words in my mouth.
you have to quit worrying about what they say in response to the reports and JUST DO IT. as far as the cow kill...it does  no friggin good to not report it. if you report it, there is at least some chance in hell it will have an effect, even if it is slight. i can't believe i have made this statement umpteen times and here i am saying it again. it's a really simple concept.
WE CAN POST PICTURES ON THE INTERNET OF OLD  "WOLF" TRACKS IN THE SNOW TILL THE SKY TURNS GREEN...IT DOES NO GOOD FOR OUR CAUSE. who's to say that those wolf tracks aren't labrador retriever tracks? there's much better odds of getting a reaction by telling the people who control the delisting process about the tracks and the kills than there is by posting pics on the internet for us to look at.

Well, I tell ya, I would never try to put words in your mouth, I need my fingers. :chuckle: I wish they would just be honest with the public, that would sure bode well with the people. With an issue such as the wolves, honesty would have gone along ways. I don't know how many times I have said that! Say I went to the doc. about my badly chewed up fingers, and he said, Oh they are fine, I just need to put you under while I clean all the tooth chips out of them, and then when I wake up I am fingerless. And very dam mad. same thing)   In Mantana there were two differant wolf kill charts, one that the cattlemens assn. did and one the feds did, these chart were livestock kills, Guess which one was way short on livestock kills.  Same kills investigated by both parties. They were asked about the differance also, wasn't a whole lot they could say cept him n haw. Was quite embearassing for the fed side. Well, I thought that was the whole idea, to have proof, pics is great proof. I am quite sure that the wdwl will get to see all these pics. personally at some point and time. We would like to get more from other people around Wa. that have pictures and info.of their wolves. Our goal is to help wdwl as much as we can. We are saving them all this reseach. I would think they would be very happy. :)

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »
I dont think a collection of pictures on this site is going to do anything either.  They can not be verified that they are even taken in Washington so they will not use them.  I believe you guys and trust that you tell the truth but unless you get this all verified by an official they are worthless.  I can only advise that if you want to make a difference at all, you need to report any and all sightings, and kills and make sure that they investigate.  Document everything you tell them and what their response is.  Complaining or assuming they wont do anything with your info is just self defeating.  

2. To report possible wolf-caused livestock depredation:

Call USDA Wildlife Services or the appropriate USFWS or WDFW office (phone numbers listed below). While waiting for the agencies to respond, the caller should follow these instructions to protect the scene:

Avoid walking in and around the area.
 Do not touch anything and keep all people and animals from the area to protect evidence.
 Place a tarp over the carcass.
 If possible, use cans or other objects to cover tracks and scats that can confirm the depredating species.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:02:19 AM by Kain »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 09:58:10 AM »
here's post #3 for me in this thread when i swore i wasn't going to post at all.
wolfbait:
Our goal is to help wdwl as much as we can. We are saving them all this reseach. I would think they would be very happy.

like Kain said, the unfortunate part of this is that there is no way to prove the pictures you aquire are even from Washington...
i'm gonna assume the difference in the # of kills between the cattlemen and the feds was that the cattlemen decided that they were wolf kills and the feds could not confirm nor deny they were wolf kills.
unfortunately thats the way it is...further reason to report as many incidents as possible. the more there are, the more potential confirmations.

Offline Wenatcheejay

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 10:18:48 AM »
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »
I think most on here agree that we want management of wolves.  :dunno:

There is a process for this. I am pretty sure part of the process has already occured in the eastern part (roughly region 1) of washington. This part of Washington was included with ID/MT delisting by the feds.

When we get more wolves I do think the feds will delist other areas. Then the state has to delist. Then unless I am mistaken, the wildlife commission will decide and authorize any seasons. So it is possible that management may occur someday.

No matter what has been said, I can't see how it will hurt to post photos in a thread. If I get some photos, I would like to post them, and to be honest I would like to see all the photos everyone else has to offer. I think it's all interesting.

Now that I said that, I also agree, it is very important for everyone to report, even if the WDFW doesn't keep track of all reports, and if that happens someday we can argue to the commission that WDFW has been not included all reports.

But to be honest, by talking about this and showing photos we raise awareness in our own ranks and that will lead to more reports getting filed. If we can all agree to set aside our small differences, and agree that we all want wolves managed, I think we can work together toward that goal.

You guys are a great bunch of guys, lets laugh this off and try to work together for the commom good. :twocents:

:hello:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »
Oh yeah I love seeing the photos.  I didnt mean you shouldnt post them or show all of us your hardwork.  I just want them to be reported so that there is proof that has been verified or at least investigated.  The first thing the pro-wolf people say is that there has only been one case of deprivation by wolves.  We all know that is bull but if no one reported it...it didnt happen.   Keep on posting the photos with the locations.  I want to come up there one day and see if I can get some on film.  That would be rad.  We all want "proactive" management.  The best way to get it is to have as much proof as possible.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 02:55:15 PM »
what he said.
 :tup:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]