collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ideas for a new 20Ga over/under?  (Read 13025 times)

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Ideas for a new 20Ga over/under?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »
i have heard mixed reviews about CZ's shotguns.  some love them, others have had issues(i think mainly selective trigger related).  their customer service is pretty top notch from what i hear(haven't any problems with my CZ rifle).

wish i had the money for an O/U.  getting laid off and working a new job for half what you used to sure changes your priorities in a hurry.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline 270Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 07:06:42 PM »
I have a Beretta 686 silver onyx 20 ga. with the 26 inch barrels. It is very light and is the quickest pointing shotgun I have ever fired. I have killed quite a few quail and a few Ringnecks with it, even a few ducks. It is a great looking shotgun that you cant go wrong with.

Heres a pic of a few quail me and a buddy killed on a quick morning hunt... Nevermind the ugly Nova :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, I am hitting up  a couple of places tomorrow to fondle a few...I want to be ready for doves.

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »
 :)Do you not like the Citori you are using? You can spend a ton-o-money on an OU. I have not shot them a lot but;
1.an OU is the only Browning product I would consider owning.
2.I like the Ruger Red Label and
3.I have used a Beretta that was wonderful.
of these 3 the beretta easily handled the best for me, I prefer 28 inch as the guns are already so short and I prefer pistol grip rather than straight.
What a fun shopping trip.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 08:35:29 AM »
My wife and I hit up three shops on Saturday and I fondled a few...

1. Red Label 28" barrel: Felt solid, swung nice...but very heavy!
2. CZ 26" side by side: Felt great, very light, but I didn't like the site window with the side-by-side
3. Red Label 26" barrell: Felt great, compact, swung great, shouldered awesome and very light (leader of the pack so far)
4. Citori 28" barrel: Solid, very well built, a bit longer stock so it shouldered a bit funky

I am still trying the find a 20 gauge white Onyx or a Urika to throw up. I am going to hit up Kesselrings to try a Corona and hopefully find a Beretta to try.  As of now, the 26" Red Label is the leader.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 09:14:01 AM »
Make sure your looking at a 20ga citori, they have a lighting grade at about 6lbs7oz in 26", 6lbs9oz 28", they also made a feather version of the lightling grade which is even lighter.
The ruger should be at 7lbs 26", 7.5lbs 28"
You did hit on a few good points about the guns you did look at.
1) Lively feel of the gun, some guns can feel lighter due to there balance in your hands, and you might notice they point naturally.
2) The way the gun shoulders is paramont, if you have to readjust after bringing the gun to your shoulder then it does not fit, and you wont shoot very well, i dont care how much the gun costs or who makes it, it should fit.
I have an old savage 12gauge that fits me great, paid $60.00 for it and it points itself, ugly as sin though, fixed choke but i have humbled a few $$$$ guns with it.
I've upgraded more than once since that gun but i've never gotten rid of it..
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 01:14:38 PM »
 if your in for a saturday road trip try ben's loan in renton, sportco in fife has a good selection and then cabelas is only 24 miles further theres welcher's and bullseye in tacoma also there is a wholesale sports in federal way and lacey so you get alot of looking done in one day almost forgot about federal way discount a couple of miles north of wholesale sports .

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 01:17:30 PM »
if your in for a saturday road trip try ben's loan in renton, sportco in fife has a good selection and then cabelas is only 24 miles further theres welcher's and bullseye in tacoma also there is a wholesale sports in federal way and lacey so you get alot of looking done in one day almost forgot about federal way discount a couple of miles north of wholesale sports .
Bens in renton, dang i miss terry being there... :bash:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 01:22:28 PM »
Quote from: superdown on Today at 01:14:38 PM

Bens in renton, dang i miss terry being there...
yeah i think he started his own business making 10/22 stocks or something like that last i talked to him he said that we would probably see him at the gun show doing something in the future.[

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 01:26:17 PM »
Quote from: superdown on Today at 01:14:38 PM

Bens in renton, dang i miss terry being there...
yeah i think he started his own business making 10/22 stocks or something last i talked to him he said that we would probably see him at the gun show doing something in the future.[
2 weeks ago i heard he's at a gun store in Issaquah, cant remember the name, Gentelman from Sight on Smithing was talking to my better half and thats what he told her?

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »
Lots of good choices for under 2K... look at the Berettas, Brownings first.  The Ruger (I own 1) is grossly over priced these days although it does have the mechanical triggers, overall lower quality than the B guns.  

Just go handle a bunch and see which one fits you best.  In your budget range I would establish a low of a 1K unless you're looking used.  While CZs and some others have come quite a way, they really aren't up to the B guns.  

Don't know much about the Wins these days.  Have heard they are being produced in Belgium since Browning bought em.  Used Miroku's from Japan are pretty nice guns.  There's a boat load of decent Italians out there too.  Not sure of the price but Caesar Guerini makes a really nice gun... maybe over 2K though.

Offline chrisb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 04:55:23 PM »
Best wedding present ever.

Offline dawei

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 06:28:03 PM »
For a wedding present, my wife gave me a "shotgun" of my choice...Actually, she gave me one of here Uncle's boxed 12 ga Citoris as a fill-in until I could go pick mine out...It is time to do that. Does anyone have a recommendation for a 20ga over/under? Budget is under $2k and I am looking for a field gun, not a range hound.
SKB® Mdl 505
David

Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 06:47:07 PM »
I don't have any better ideas than what has already been said about your 20ga O/U choices, but I have to see if I'm reading this right.......... :dunno:

You got married and your wife gave you a present? .......... and the present is a $2,000 shotgun?     :o

I've never heard of the wife giving a wedding present to the husband (other than what happens behind closed doors on the honey moon)......... :)
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 08:01:36 AM »
You got married and your wife gave you a present? .......... and the present is a $2,000 shotgun?     Shocked

I've never heard of the wife giving a wedding present to the husband (other than what happens behind closed doors on the honey moon)......... Smiley

A prime example of why I married her ;)

I'm headed up to Kesselrings this weekend to fondle a couple more.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]