collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: whats your deer hunting goals this year  (Read 14089 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
whats your deer hunting goals this year
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:50:45 PM »
lets hear what you guys are after this year.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
Re: whats your deer hunting goals this year
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 05:00:07 PM »
Meat.
Well, thats how i started my season, get the first legal deer that comes by my stand in range and put it into the freezer.
Opening day i sat on stand and nothing came within range, not even close, watched some deer in another spot and decided day 2 to go and sit that stand.
Day 2 sitting the other stand i could see my first stand, 472 yds away.
About 30 min before dark/cant shoot light i look towrds my 1st stant and notice some mule deer right next to it, and i notice that there is a buck with the group, then my brain goes "hey man thats like 400+yds and you can see that buck with the naked eye! So i put the glass on him, nice 4x4 with eye guards :bash:, and 3 other bucks that were legal and the rest does, 15 deer in all, feed right past my 1st day stand.
I have a whitetail doe working towards me at the same time 80yds away, forget her, get up and head for a closer look at the other deer, then head for the truck.
Game plan changed after that, sat my 1st stand until saturday with no mule deer to be found >:(, did draw on a whitetail doe on saturday evening but let down thinking about that buck. Now im heading back over i a few weeks to see if i can connect on him. Then back to meat only.

To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline DeerHarvester

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:00:50 PM »
Meat in the freezer is better then tag soup!
Will hunt for food.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 07:22:56 PM »
Personal best and meat in the freezer. I have a MT tag and I plan on finding a decent buck to shoot over there. And In WA the first deer I see with 3 points dies.

Navyhunter

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »
Had to go with the meat in the freezer.  Hunting eastern WA late season for deer and MT (late) for deer and elk...elk is the primary this year, haven't gotten one yet.  For deer, I'd like to get a MT mulie.  That's the one deer I haven't shot yet, soooo, a meat mulie it is.

Offline Armadillo

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »
First legal buck thats within range, meat meat meat  :drool:
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline littlebuf

• official YAR pack mule
  • Frontiersman
  • TeamYARwetspot-leavin other teams in da wetspot
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »
out of the choices i picked 120 or better black tail, ive never scored the buck i got last year but he was my biggest and i estimate around the 120 mark. ive seen bigger where i plan to hunt and thats my goal. i cant wait until deer season, this morning felt like fall down here and it really got me pumped
No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 07:50:40 PM »
I think I'll be hunting the entire 9 day season in an eastside GMU for a mulie. If I see a legal 3 point I'll probably take it. Hopefully it will be a good one but I'm not going to be too picky. I'm very limited on hunting money this year, so the sooner I'm done the less money I will have to spend on gas. Besides that, if I get done early that will save my vacation time for other things like ducks, geese, pheasant, and elk.

Offline Rick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 08:37:32 PM »
First legal buck I get a shot at is taking a dirt nap. I'm only hunting 2 days for deer this year.

To make it even tougher,those two days will actually be used to set up our elk camp. Actual "hunting" time will probably be just a few hours. I better be on my game. :chuckle:

Offline Blacktail99

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 08:51:36 PM »
1 legal whitetail i see  in idaho so i say meat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 08:52:20 PM »
well ive been hunting sense i was 10 years old. im 24 years old now. and i have taken 4 deer. 2 spikes quite a few years ago and a 2pt(last season) with rifle, and a doe also quite a few years ago with my bow.

ive never went back to back seasons getting a deer. they are always a few seasons apart. in fact until last season, my last deer came when i was 17 years old. so thats a long time without a deer.

my parents up until i was 13years old would get thier deer every single year, along with my uncle. and that is alot of deer in the freezer. BUT it has went way down with my parents getting older and both in poor shape (mom can hardly walk up hill, with very bad knees and my dad has had knee surgury 2 times in one knee and it goes out from time to time). my dads last deer came 2 years ago and it was small, he only shot it to put meat in the freezer. and my moms first year back to hunting was last season, before that it had been 6 years sense she last hunted. and the last deer she shot was lost due to pouring rain and very thick brush

so my goal is to get my parents into deer and to get a deer for myself in back to back seasons, and get my girlfriend her second deer, she just passed hunters education, and got her first deer last year with that defferal lisence.

basicly i would love to see my family tag out this season. maybe get my parents back into hunting like they use to be

Offline lamar_hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 09:00:45 PM »
i want to shoot a nice 4x4. been seeing decent whitetails and mulies in my hunting spot so i think i have a good chance.
I tumbled him..

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 09:07:44 PM »
It's gotta be a P&Y buck or it walks.  I have pastures and a freezer full of beef so I would rather eat a tag than just shoot any buck to fill it.  

Offline ing

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »
My vote, personal best.  I usually hunt for meat, but I have a tag in both Montana and Colorado this year.  Hopefully I can find a nice buck within these two states.  I'll go ahead and hunt for meat here in WA and shoot the first legal buck I get a chance at.

Offline luvtohnt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »
I voted personal best. Won't be hard to beat considering I have never shot one. I am leaving at 4:00am for ALW for deer and elk will be back on Friday hopefully with my personal best for either species.

Brandon

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand