collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reserving PUBLIC LAND for Your Camp  (Read 16557 times)

Offline elk311

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Reserving PUBLIC LAND for Your Camp
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:04:08 PM »
I have ran across this several times  >:(  People show up after you have set up camp and begin to explain how this is "thier site" or what they've done to "improve" the site and fully expect us to move out of thier way. This is all on public National Forest land.  :yike: Heck, I'll even go one further that happend this month. We made up our camp in a nice area and several people stopped by to say "your neighbors aren't going to like the fact that you are camped here".  WTF?

What gives  :dunno: I mean do any of you really think that it's YOUR campsite just because you used it a couple of times or made it more "homie". I don't care if your ancestors used the place during the Ice Age to hump gorillas, it's PUBLIC LAND !

Please give me one good reason why we should have let them have thier campsite back.  :bash:

Just to make the picture clear we are not a wild partying group. A couple of wall tents, some hunting gear and a fire-pit. No radio's or shooting in or near camp just hunters and good neighbors.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:24:22 PM by elk311 »
US Navy Submarine Force, Retired

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Reserving PUBLIC LAND for Your Camp
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 02:07:30 PM »
I'm with you.

If i get there first then to bad  :tung:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline TEX-X

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:10:35 PM »
Even just reading the word shipmate makes me cringe....  sorry to hear about your problem...I'd tell them to kiss my ass...

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 02:20:19 PM »
First come First serve... We have camped in the same spot for 10 years and last year it was taken. We were not very happy about it but what can you do . we moved on to another spot.
If its brown knock it down

Offline TEX-X

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »
well you didn't have to take shipmate out....I just checked my shoe polish and my gig line....we're GTG

Offline elk311

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 02:28:18 PM »
First come First serve... We have camped in the same spot for 10 years and last year it was taken. We were not very happy about it but what can you do . we moved on to another spot.

Exactly, that's what we would do. The only way to prevent that is get there earlier or set up like many people do and leave. I have no problem with someone setting up thier gear and marking thier spot this way. I only hope that people are honest enough to leave it alone. I for one am not that trusting, not to mention I work too hard for the money that buys the equipment.

Thanks for your replies. Glad to know I wasn't missing something from my upbringing. Other people obviously are !
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:03:03 AM by elk311 »

Offline elk311

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 02:57:57 PM »
well you didn't have to take shipmate out....I just checked my shoe polish and my gig line....we're GTG

old habit... I didn't like it in there either, it just comes out when I'm PO'd  :dunno:

Offline sako223

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:26:40 PM »
It gets worse when they think they own the hunt area too. This may lead to more restrictions in the future.

Offline fremont

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 07:25:53 PM »
People show up after you have set up camp and begin to explain how this is "thier site" or what they've done to "improve" the site and fully expect us to move out of thier way. This is all on public National Forest land.  :yike: Heck, I'll even go one further that happend this month. We made up our camp in a nice area and several people stopped by to say "your neighbors aren't going to like the fact that you are camped here".
Not surprising but that doesn't make them less of an idiot.  Unbelievable.  Can you imagine the stones needed to tell someone to move because you've been there the year before?  T.S.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »
For this years deer opener, I was shocked to find a group of guys camped in the spot where we have camped for many many years. Nothing I could do about it..... We camped nearby and still had a good hunt. Just missed our old haunt. One of the fellows even asked us later why we didnt just move in next to them....but it just didnt seem the same....
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:03:38 PM »
Yep, first come, first serve.  Tough crap for the other folks.  We always camped at the same spot in Refrigerator Canyon and would send one of the guys that was out of work to squat on the spot 3 or 4 days before the opener.  It was nice because by the time we got there on thursday or friday the camp was clean, fire pit built and fire wood stacked.  Whoever got their first and set up camp was the first one we tried to get a buck for.

Offline Wea300mag

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 09:08:12 PM »
I'm with the rest of you, first come-first servered. I'm not too keen on the setting up camp a week early and leaving it though.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline coldsteel3d

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 09:17:34 PM »
First come, first serve. Some of these guys think they own it, tuff luck.  :'(

Offline robrunwild

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 10:09:32 PM »
Don't even THINK about shooting my monster buck I saw three years ago too...even if it was through a spotting scope...4 miles away...you need to call me so I can tag it... :chuckle:   Yeah I hunted with that guy once too...you must be camping in his spot.
Member of the Straight Up rod and gun club.

Offline Alaska316

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »
First come, I wouldn't even stop and say anything to someone if they got to the spot that I wanted. Public land. Piss off.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal