collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: "Confirmed Wolves in the Nile"  (Read 14141 times)

Offline YellowDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: "Confirmed Wolves in the Nile"
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 10:19:47 PM »
Okay, I do not claim to be any type of wolf expert so don't come down on me too hard if you think I am wrong.  Here are two separate "possible" wolf tracks found in the Nile this year. The first was found on a road, the second was on a steep ridge line trail a mile a way from the first.  It is kind of hard to see in the picture.   

Also attached is the pile of crap we found in the Grayback unit Saturday. 

Also, my brother and his girlfriend were scouting the area in the Nile the week before I found the tracks and they thought they saw a wolf.  No pictures of it but he posted on here under the title "weird dog" or something back in early september.  He described it as looking like an enormous coyote that had more of a blocky head and a reddish grey coat.

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 10:46:08 PM »
the set of tracks i found in cabin creek a couple years ago during late archery elk season were even bigger then the ones you posted.

theres no way they were pet dog tracks i was seeing, as they crossed the freeway and then the yakima river and kept on going. not a single person track anywhere to be seen. and those tracks were heading straight towards the nile area.

Offline YellowDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 10:58:20 PM »
Like I said, I'm not an expert and the reason I didn't post these sooner and why I am not sure that they are wolf tracks is because the Nile does get over run with people in the summer and early fall.  It is popular with horsback riders who often take dogs along with them.  I saw the first track in the road and thought damn, that's the biggest dog track I have ever seen.  Then I started thinking it might possibly be a wolf because it was so big. My brother has a 100 pound lab and his  track is smaller than this one (not much).  Since it was on a road it caused me even more doubt.  When I found the second one two days later and a mile away on a steep ridgeline that did not seem to have any horse tracks from the same time frame (given the rain and subsequent dry mud), even though the second track seemed smaller, I started thinking it might really be wolf.  Then we heard something kill a deer or elk a 1/4 mile or so from our camp one night and there were no coyote howls it seemed more likely.  I don't know if wolves howl after a kill but I think coyotes usually make a racket during/after a kill.  I'm no predator expert and definately not a wolf expert but all these things plus the possible sighting by my brother are at least making me think... 

Offline mulehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2009, 05:58:44 PM »
I remember my first experience Early fall 2007, I was same what you saw. I kept think and think over and over, I went down to DNR and ask them if there is wolf up there, He laugh at me said NO wolf up here. So I just mind my own busniess  :chuckle: Until you get better Evidence with TrailCamera, and Carcass kills. Etc Etc.

It doesnt hurt to try,

I suggest you people to put TrailCamera and set it up there and when it first snow hit, you guys should go back and find better signs of Tracks forward or backward tracks and follow them maybe find Carcass that way you will know whats out there. I normally walking backward of Wolves tracks to find fresh Carcass because in the daytime normally they Travel LONG way and u wont find any good signs of Carcass. Been there for three years up  Okanagon county. I am not going back there anymore Cuz its WAY SOO MANY wolves up there I promise u will see them anywhere soon, Now I am going to check new place as let me think....start with  Mt Blue  :yike: 

Mulehunter  ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:07:56 PM by mulehunter »

Offline Lowedog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2009, 06:52:37 PM »
Is Bone going to report this sighting or let it go? What about pictures I think we all know Bone never leaves home without a camera!!

Brandon
:yeah:
"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »
Nope, not going to report a damn thing.  They can read it hear.  I was busy trying to get my wife on an elk, not taking my pack apart to get my Point and Shoot out.  Besides, pictures are certainly hard to judge.  Even the ones above with some sort of reference.  I promise they weren't dogs.  I was with you Pat2bear.  I really didn't believe it until I saw it.  There is so much rumor out there now.  Someone sees a flash of a coyote it was a wolf.  I know what I know.  If I see him and can get them on film, I will.  Now almost everyone of my favorite spots has wolves in it.  The Nile, Methow (probably multiple packs), Selkirks, Panhandle, other spots in Idaho.  Hell, even 16D in NM.  If I do see them out in the LT. I will CRAP.  and....I will take a picture of that for you non believers.

Offline mulehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2009, 07:27:13 PM »
Nope, not going to report a damn thing.  They can read it hear.  I was busy trying to get my wife on an elk, not taking my pack apart to get my Point and Shoot out.  Besides, pictures are certainly hard to judge.  Even the ones above with some sort of reference.  I promise they weren't dogs.  I was with you Pat2bear.  I really didn't believe it until I saw it.  There is so much rumor out there now.  Someone sees a flash of a coyote it was a wolf.  I know what I know.  If I see him and can get them on film, I will.  Now almost everyone of my favorite spots has wolves in it.  The Nile, Methow (probably multiple packs), Selkirks, Panhandle, other spots in Idaho.  Hell, even 16D in NM.  If I do see them out in the LT. I will CRAP.  and....I will take a picture of that for you non believers.

I agree with you Bone...  I completely understand!!  This is only thing I like to do is post under H-W what I know  instead Report stupid to WDFW!  :chuckle:  WDFW People can alway check out your H-W site of what we all know about. Less work for us!!!

Mulehunter  ;)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2009, 07:29:49 PM »
I don't need to explain myself to some dude who is going to dismiss me anyway.  They know where they are already.  Who are we kidding.

Offline Thenewguy

• Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2009, 07:45:11 PM »
I have seen tracks there as well, several times

Offline Lowedog

• Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 07:47:13 PM »
Just to clarify Bone, you saw tracks?

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 07:59:16 PM »
That is correct.  About 2 inches of tracking snow. 

Offline Lowedog

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 06:53:04 AM »
As popular as predator calling is becoming it won't be long till someone has a close encounter I bet.
— Aldo Leopold

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 07:22:21 AM »
Sigh..
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 08:16:12 AM »
My pard and I saw a wolf on white pass 3 yrs ago.  Been talking to a good friend who has a ranch south of Collville.  He got wolves in the area.  This is the first year he's seen them.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,

but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to
maintain a status of independence from any who might
attempt to abuse them, which would include their

own government." -- George Washington

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal