collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Longest kill shot on deer?  (Read 27322 times)

Offline longstevo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Longest kill shot on deer?
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2009, 01:25:53 AM »
He may be new to the board, but I'm sure he's not new to hunting.   

I think he was simply saying that he loves the 'I know a guy' stories.  You don't need to be a longtime member of this board to have heard a few of those. 
If you don't stand behind the troops, please feel free to stand in front of us.

Offline firecrotch

• Longhunter
  • Team Deadfowl
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2009, 01:34:02 AM »
First Cow elk: 548 yards, 30-06 with 165 grn sierra GameKings.
Michael

i witnessed that!

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2009, 12:08:34 PM »
He may be new to the board, but I'm sure he's not new to hunting.   

I think he was simply saying that he loves the 'I know a guy' stories.  You don't need to be a longtime member of this board to have heard a few of those. 

I can see that, but just because someone says "I know a guy that...." doesn't mean its BS, and I'm not too fond of ppl calling BS on it...  It was directed to me, so I in turn responded...  don't see what the big deal is, its just campfire talk anyways.  One guy jokes on another, it comes full circle...

First Cow elk: 548 yards, 30-06 with 165 grn sierra GameKings.
Michael

i witnessed that!

That was an awesome hunt Nick!  Tell the fam thanks again!

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline bow-n-head

• Longhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2009, 08:36:30 PM »
I would guess that most of you have seen the NightForce rifle scope commercial on the net. For those of you who don't think thousands of regular folks are trying to do what they are showing us what their rifle scopes will do I would say it's time to get out of the box. If you weren't there to see the shot you have no reason not to believe them. Or maybe you don't believe because you yourself are not capable of making such a shot. It takes time, fine tuning and lots of practice, but it can and is being done by lots of hunters. If you don't like it ignore it and just hunt the way you want. :twocents: Myself and two other guys snuck up on a bedded bull out in the prairie. We got to 683 yards and my hunting partner told the guy with the tag that he could get the bull from here. He was a local farmer. My buddy cranked up his Swarovski scope on his 30-378 and handed it to the farmer. The farmer reluctantly took the rifle, but with some reassurance he took aim on the bedded 6pt bull. A moment later he took the shot and the bull never even got up. The farmer stood up and said "I feel like I just murdered that thing". I guess long distance shooting isn't for everyone.

Offline MichaelJ

• Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2009, 08:55:26 PM »
I would guess that most of you have seen the NightForce rifle scope commercial on the net. For those of you who don't think thousands of regular folks are trying to do what they are showing us what their rifle scopes will do I would say it's time to get out of the box. If you weren't there to see the shot you have no reason not to believe them. Or maybe you don't believe because you yourself are not capable of making such a shot. It takes time, fine tuning and lots of practice, but it can and is being done by lots of hunters. If you don't like it ignore it and just hunt the way you want. :twocents: Myself and two other guys snuck up on a bedded bull out in the prairie. We got to 683 yards and my hunting partner told the guy with the tag that he could get the bull from here. He was a local farmer. My buddy cranked up his Swarovski scope on his 30-378 and handed it to the farmer. The farmer reluctantly took the rifle, but with some reassurance he took aim on the bedded 6pt bull. A moment later he took the shot and the bull never even got up. The farmer stood up and said "I feel like I just murdered that thing". I guess long distance shooting isn't for everyone.

With the right knowledge and equiptment, a solid rest and stable winds, anybody who is capable of pulling a trigger without flinching is imho capable of making a 400-600 yard shot... Take away any one of those factors and the shot is darn near impossible...

Michael
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:23:33 PM by MichaelJ »
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline longstevo

• Longhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2009, 10:11:49 PM »
My longest kill has only been about 80 yards. 

Haven't really had a chance for the longshot yet, despite ten years of hunting.
If you don't stand behind the troops, please feel free to stand in front of us.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »
Well said, bow-n-head :)

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2009, 11:34:45 AM »
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2009, 12:37:28 PM »
farthest shot was 1051 on a bedded doe. shooting a .264 win mag 26.5" barrel 140 grain berger bullet and a huskemaw 5-20 as for steel targets my farthes shot is 1500meters shooting a 6.5 x .284 with same 140 grain berger and the 5 - 20 huskemaw. I love berger bullets here is a 711 yd lung shot on a doe this year  :IBCOOL:
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »
farthest shot was 1051 on a bedded doe. shooting a .264 win mag 26.5" barrel 140 grain berger bullet and a huskemaw 5-20 as for steel targets my farthes shot is 1500meters shooting a 6.5 x .284 with same 140 grain berger and the 5 - 20 huskemaw. I love berger bullets here is a 711 yd lung shot on a doe this year  :IBCOOL:

Is that with a Gunwerks build?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2009, 12:43:11 PM »
Very nice, lr7!

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
Kinda gunwerks.  :rolleyes: my barrel my action there gunsmith. thanks mtnmuley did you get those turrets built. when i pick up my 22-243 lets go shootn  :P
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2009, 12:53:45 PM »
I shot a muley at approx. 422yds.  My husband had bought me a 300 win. mag. for Christmas after our first hunting season together.  He had a few options and this is what I got after shooting his 7mm without flinching.  We split up, him with my son and me alone planning on regrouping in 2 hours.  I opted not to sit in my favorite saddle because I watched a hunter hike up the wooded draw below where I hunt.  A buck peekabooed me from 30yds. and I could see he was legal without binos.  Of course there goes my buck.  I had a pretty good shot at 100yds but the sun was an issue and he walked off.  I spotted him two draws over and thought to myself I can't make that shot but knowing my husband would have said you can with the rifle I had and the practice we did so using my shooting sticks I got ready and waited for a still shot.  When he did I dropped him not knowing how far he was at the time.  The next year I ranged it at 422yd. and a down hill angle.  But the funny part was there was a bow hunter (yeah illegal no orange) 30yds away at full draw (hence the reason he stopped) when I shot.  I heard an unmentionable word echo across the hillsides.  Then a bit later "nice shot".   It was a very memorable hunt and alot more to the story but it would be to long.  Another deer I took at 270yds.  But I only take those shots if I have a rest ( I ALWAYS carry shooting sticks) and the animal is not moving.  Havent' missed an animal with that rifle.  I never shoot off hand, if I don't have time to set up Oh well the deer may be gone.

Offline Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2009, 01:00:33 PM »
468 yards this year on my whitetail buck. 

.300 WSM BAR, 180 gr. Nosler Partitions. Leupold VX-II 3-9

Offline squeeze2drop

• Scout
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2009, 02:42:53 PM »
Shot a sparrow with my BB gun at around 12yds, premium daisy BBs, no I didn't have a tag, and no I wasn't wearing orange

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]