collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sportmans show  (Read 7996 times)

Offline nwhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • nwhunter
Re: Sportmans show
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 09:51:18 PM »
Do they still have a contest for best buck and bull for the state? Also do you think with all the horns to measure does the scoring quality suffer a bit do to time constraints. nwhunter

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 12:04:11 AM »
Since I haven't done this before have A question for you guy's ... Do they score shed horns at the show? I would think they would score anything that is in a category in the book (which includes sheds) but I don't remember ever seeing any at the previous shows I have been to.
If so I would maybe bring the Elk sheds I found that we had the contest on and see how close me and my buddie came to getting them right!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 12:32:29 AM »
The one in Yakima does.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 11:43:44 AM »
You can download the scoring sheets and instructions from the B&C website.  It's fairly straightforward, especially for typical deer and elk.  It can at least give you an idea if a rack is close for the state or world books.  Might save you a little cash if the rack comes up more than a couple points shy.  One of the bonuses of doing it yourself is it gives you a firsthand look at what a rack really scores.  You get a good idea of what traits in a set of antlers will either boost or hurt it's score.  It will also help you judge antlers out in the field, if you're hunting for a true book bull or buck.  My first nice muley I shot (or so I thought at the time) was a nice high, heavy 4X4 with a narrow spread though.  A guy at work looked at the pictures a few years later and claimed it to be a 150-160 buck.  I had never scored a muley before and upon scoring it, it turned out to be only 130.  It gave me a very good perspective of scores.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 07:38:35 PM »
NRA4life,
I've allready done that,  I want them officially scored now to see how close I came, Thanks.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,3024.0.html
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 12:32:59 AM »
That's how I like to do it, score em' myself and then have someone who knows what they are doing do it right.  I am usually pretty damn close but not always right on.

Offline olyarcher

• Pilgrim
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 08:35:55 AM »
I have a booth directly below the Head & Horns every year and we see some pretty good mounts come through. It's kind of cool being right where everyone goes by, on the way to the Head & Horns. ;)

We're having an official Pope & Young scorer come in to do a scoring seminar, and explain how to evaluate horns and mounts. The seminar will be in February and will be listed soon on our website. :)

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »
Ahh, I had not seen that thread before.  Cool pics.  I like the mass on them.  I would encourage everyone to try scoring on their own.  It is very educational. 
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 04:16:17 PM »
Some one told me that you can get it measured there and then put into a contest? and possably win awards. If i could win free gear i would bring my Whity. But does anyone think it would stand up? alot of big deer this year shot......I dont really care about draggin it every where with me i just want to win hunting $hit.

Oh and for all of those people that are interested in getting there animals measured it is farely easy. go to this website and follow the directions and for those that want to get it officially scored find an official measurer look up your city and there is bound to be someone that is with in driving range. try it yourself or have it officially done. I just recently had mine done but didnt submit it because i dont really care. Sure would like to see what the guys in puyallup would score it at........

http://www.nwbiggame.com/

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »
not trying to critize but your deer would not stand a chance. it is a real nice buck, but wont compare to what people are going to bring

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 05:13:37 PM »
not trying to critize but your deer would not stand a chance. it is a real nice buck, but wont compare to what people are going to bring
I would bring it in. What would it hurt? Its a nice buck, you never know what will come in.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »

OUCH :o
I would bring it in. What would it hurt? Its a nice buck, you never know what will come in.

And thanks.

It wasnt that i was saying i shot a monster deer. I was just wondering id there really is enough compitition that i might win something....I have gone to some of these sportsmans shows that just carrying a nice rack around gets you prizes. Unfortunatly untill this year i have never shot anything that would match anything to get a prize, But my deer would this year. He is Book i now for sure. But i dont care about that, I just want free crap if i can win it........I might drag ait around.....Maybe.

so quick question are people going to be bringing in the same racks they have that are over twenty years old that are huge or are these going to be this years deers that i am not going to be able to stand a chance against? Just wondering. Not trying to start crap, LOL. that sounded funny..............

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »
You never know what will be brought in.  I won a set of Gerber knives one year with just a 148" whitie.  I don't know how big your buck is but it couldn't hurt to try.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 05:41:39 PM »
did you just carry it around or how does the contest work?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 08:36:27 PM »
get in line when you get there and drop it off, cruise around the show for a couple hours, then pick it up on the way out. it will take them a few hours to get it scored anyway.  there will be deer there of all shapes and sizes...mostly people just wanting to see what their heads will score. i took a 160 muley to the show a couple years ago and people were drooling over it  :dunno: . there are some wopper bucks and bulls there, but there are also dinkers too. take it and get it scored and don't worry about it.
it doesn't have to "stand a chance" ??'
whatever that means.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw