collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 more fall birds down  (Read 9628 times)

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: 3 more fall birds down
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 01:43:31 PM »
Thanks Phantom Gobbler !  I didn't take my digital camera this time out (wife was going over to the kids/grandkids), but took some pictures with a disposable camera I had ... I'll have a disc made when I get prints developed, but probably won't use the remaining camera pics until Christmas time.  I'll try and post some pics before the years end.

Sounds good Turkey Dancer............... looking forward to the pics.   :)

Happy Holidays to All!

Phantom G
"When a wild turkey vanishes, after seeing a man, depend on it, bank on it, he's gone." - Archibald Rutledge

Shine Box Turkey Calls Pro Staff

Offline jordano

• Sourdough
  • Cupped and Comin'!
    • http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=593729282&sk=info
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 11:29:23 PM »
wow those are awesome pics! and great looking birds!! way to go!!!
Ozzie

Do what you like. Like what you do.

<><

Gettin' their feet on my face!

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 11:03:15 AM »
Slayer,

Now that's its warmed up a bit are the birds still bunched in large winter flocks?  And if so how many birds are now frequenting the property that we hunted?  Any mature Gobblers left over for the upcoming Spring Season??

Three questions is the limit!   :chuckle: :chuckle:

"When a wild turkey vanishes, after seeing a man, depend on it, bank on it, he's gone." - Archibald Rutledge

Offline turkey slayer

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 08:20:49 AM »
Phantom,

Talk to my uncle yesterday and there is close to 400 bird on the dairy, but I am not sure how many toms, they normally stay across the road.

Turkey Slayer

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 02:27:52 PM »
Great looking buch of birds.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 02:31:49 PM »
good birds
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 06:40:10 AM »
Phantom,

Talk to my uncle yesterday and there is close to 400 bird on the dairy, but I am not sure how many toms, they normally stay across the road.

Turkey Slayer
Give me a PM. If your talking about West side birds. I might be able to work out an East side hunt in my hunting spots. ;)

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 06:01:41 PM »
Phantom Gobbler:

Wife took both my disposable cameras in, but only got a disc made for the one where the birds were coming in and not the one with the bird itself ... go figure.

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 09:58:08 AM »
Turkey Dancer,

Great looking pictures of your Winter Turkey Flock!   :) :)

Gotta like those fanned out toms in the center of the flock.   :IBCOOL:

Looks like a great spot!  Bet you can't wait till spring when this flock breaks up and heads into the surrounded hills.

Phantom

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 12:19:20 PM »
You bet on all counts ! There were approx 85 birds in this group with about 8 big toms and numerous jakes (down from about 300 a few years ago due to a couple bad winters in a row).

A few of my buddies hunted there this past spring when I couldn't make it because of a double hernia surgery (I did get a nice Rio near Davenport 1st day though). My buds were able to nail 3 nice toms there at least ... now I'll probably have to chase them (my buds, not the turkeys)  off this spring (for a few days at least) to allow my boy and I a chance to get our birds. During the fall hunts the birds come downhill so not much climbing which I like, but in the spring they head up hill and it's a little steep where we need to go (getting harder on this old man) for a few hundred yards ... but then not to bad after that.  We use to have a nice spot but lost it to an outfitter, but this one isn't too bad.  Any place with some birds works for me .... 

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 10:21:28 PM »
You bet on all counts ! There were approx 85 birds in this group with about 8 big toms and numerous jakes (down from about 300 a few years ago due to a couple bad winters in a row).

A few of my buddies hunted there this past spring when I couldn't make it because of a double hernia surgery (I did get a nice Rio near Davenport 1st day though). My buds were able to nail 3 nice toms there at least ... now I'll probably have to chase them (my buds, not the turkeys)  off this spring (for a few days at least) to allow my boy and I a chance to get our birds. During the fall hunts the birds come downhill so not much climbing which I like, but in the spring they head up hill and it's a little steep where we need to go (getting harder on this old man) for a few hundred yards ... but then not to bad after that.  We use to have a nice spot but lost it to an outfitter, but this one isn't too bad.  Any place with some birds works for me .... 

We have all lost a few great hunting spots along the way.  Good luck lining up your hunt for this spring and lets hope the winter stays mild to help out the flocks.

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 11:27:30 PM »
phantom, my boy has been shooting my gun while out duck hunting to prepare for the upcoming turkey season he is convinced he is ready for a turkey load says the pain will be well worth it when a turkey hits the dirt very excited to get him out for the upcoming season

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 11:54:54 PM »
cool pics love the struters
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 07:29:24 PM »
phantom, my boy has been shooting my gun while out duck hunting to prepare for the upcoming turkey season he is convinced he is ready for a turkey load says the pain will be well worth it when a turkey hits the dirt very excited to get him out for the upcoming season

Hey there Ridgefire,

Sounds like you are having fun and teaching your son the key ropes of hunter safety and ethics!   :)   We will stay in touch to see what our options will be for the upcoming youth hunt.  I'm thinking the Benelli Nova 20 gauge equipped with a turkey choke and 3 in turkey loads....... just might be the ticket.  We will have to get out and do some turkey target shooting as it warms up a bit more!!

Gobbling Gobblers just a few months ahead!!   :IBCOOL:

Phantom

Offline KimberRich

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 02:08:31 PM »

A little steep???  You mean vertical.  If there weren't deer trails on the hillsides there you would have to use your hands to help pull you up some of that stuff. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal