collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I feel that the State Record "Steelhead" Will be caught this Year!!  (Read 17549 times)

Offline turbociv922001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: I feel that the State Record "Steelhead" Will be caught this Year!!
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 08:33:59 AM »
thats funny, better then gettin skunked though

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 11:41:23 AM »
Here is just a cell pic of that big one I mentioned earlier the Indian had in his gill net. It was from this year (I'm talking feb/march when the biggy's are actually in the rivers)  :chuckle:

"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2009, 11:57:08 AM »
I've been lucky enough to catch a couple in the 20lb class, quite the battle. Both were hooked on the Cowlitz while side drifting in my boat. I think it would have been a whole different ballgame if I had been standing on shore. In the boat we can drift down with the fish or follow it back up or across without over stressing the line, from shore you don't have that luxury unless you can run over uneven terrain like a mt goat. The 30# class is something we all dream of but seldom see, let alone achive. I will be trying the day after Christmas again, maybe Santa will bring me the lucky lure.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline tomy salami

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 12:16:34 PM »
A twenty plus, in a cantankerous disposition can do many a bad thing..............

However, not all of dem git that way. Buddy of mine landed a 31 inside of 5 minutes. Fat, lazy steelhead.

Lot of personality in steelhead........Cowlitz fish seem to be among the laziest, along with Snoqualamie fish.
The hottest fish I have ever seen were in the Mattole River of N. California. Small fish, but meaner than a snake.

Are there big steelhead comin through here in Feb. and March? A guy should be switchin to springers on the Colombia or its tribs by then.
..............as always, offering sobering truth.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2009, 12:58:50 PM »
I have pics on my Cell Phone that I dont know how to get on here

text them to your email address. just enter your email address just like you would a phone #.

Are there big steelhead comin through here in Feb. and March
native winter fish, big boys... most of the rivers are usually closed, at least the  "s" rivers up this way.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 04:09:35 PM »
Fishing the Snake back in the 80s and 90s between Lewiston and Asotin during U of I homecoming weekend every year we saw some huge Steelies! Though the biggest I ever caught there was a 24 lb  tagged hatchery fish. I sent the tag in and they sent back a fish history that showed the fish was tagged on the clearwater in ID. Three years later it went up the Lewis and was recorder at that hatchery before going back down and up the Snake to where I caught it. I always thought they went straight up the river they grew up on. The WDFW said that was rarely the case they may go up a few different rivers before going home. The older gentleman we use to fish with had many old photos of Steelies caught on the Snake back in the 30s and 40s that "appeared to be" way over 35 lbs.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline 1bowhunter1

• WORK?
  • Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »
Alchase i'v heard that Steelhead are the only Fish that will go to other rivers then Home!  I use to fish the Kalama Tide water alot and we would catch a Snake River Bound "Humpy" I have caught only 1 but my friend got 2 in one day.  They say that Snake River Salmon will Come in the mouths with the Tides and Then head Home!   :dunno: There is Still a Big Steelie in them there WATERS!!  I Seen'em!  Might of been one of those, Tarpin!!  Thats what it was a Freak'n Tarpin....i'm calling that Guy, whats his name?  Big Fish Hunter, or what ever... :chuckle:
The wife said if I go hunting 1 more time, she's going 2 leave me!!  Gosh I'm gonna miss her.

Offline 1bowhunter1

• WORK?
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2009, 04:51:18 PM »
P.S. I cant figure out how the H$$! to Text the Damn Pic off my Phone its not WORKING!!! That was anouther funny part of my Big Fish hunt day, leave the freak'n Camera at home!!  It was a Wash before I even left the Drive way!  Could you just see it now, catch the Freak'n State Record Fish and its Freak'n Wild and all you have is a Stupid Cell phone :bash: :bash: :bash:  I would just release my self into the water....leave the fish laying on the Bank. :chuckle: :chuckle:
The wife said if I go hunting 1 more time, she's going 2 leave me!!  Gosh I'm gonna miss her.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 07:27:27 PM »
go to the pics section of your phone...click the pic you want then click options or something like that. there should be a "forward" in the list. click that, then enter your email address where you would normally enter a phone #. you might have to change the text or something to get it to type letters instead of #'s.

what kind of phone do you have?

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 07:28:26 PM »
Alchase i'v heard that Steelhead are the only Fish that will go to other rivers then Home!

Not true 1Bow, I was talking with one of the Columbia bio's last year about this, he told me there were some sturgeon caught in Russia a couple years that were tagged and released in the Columbia :yike:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline 1bowhunter1

• WORK?
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2009, 06:33:20 AM »
Thats interesting Huntnphool!  I did hear that as well.  Its pretty amazing the Distance fish Swim.  I have been trying to get ahold of a Friend of mine that Caught and Landed a 30+ Steelie....he has Pics trying to get him to send them but Of Course cant find him!  Just trying to Show some Non-Believers that there are Steelhead In the N.F. Lewis that are That Big!  Some people dont think they are in the just because there not seeing them Hang from a Meat Hook!  Many, Many Steelhead Swim in and Out of that River and Never see a Bait in front of them....There hole life! Just my  :twocents:

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2009, 07:32:14 AM »
You know how fish story's are but there's a roomer around town a 30 lber was caught on the Bogachiel this year.

Offline fishcrazy

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2009, 09:10:11 AM »
Thats interesting Huntnphool!  I did hear that as well.  Its pretty amazing the Distance fish Swim.  I have been trying to get ahold of a Friend of mine that Caught and Landed a 30+ Steelie....he has Pics trying to get him to send them but Of Course cant find him!  Just trying to Show some Non-Believers that there are Steelhead In the N.F. Lewis that are That Big!  Some people dont think they are in the just because there not seeing them Hang from a Meat Hook!  Many, Many Steelhead Swim in and Out of that River and Never see a Bait in front of them....There hole life! Just my  :twocents:

I believe!!! I know of a 29 taken from the Lewis just a few years ago by a guide. It was even on the front cover of STS. I fished with him and got the story first hand he even showed us wehre he got it. Talk about a pig!!!

That river has had some huge fish taken from it. Wasn't it a few years back that some fish Bios found a coho carcass that they figured over 30# :yike:

Kris
This family supported by UNION wages. Proud member of UA Local 26

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook twice?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2009, 11:01:19 AM »
i believe most every steelhead river on the west side has the potential for a 30lb fish. they all kick out 20+ lb'ers every year.

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2009, 11:22:15 AM »
I don't think anyone said they didn't believe in 30 lb steelhead, the first post said 40-50 lb. in the NFL. Me personally I think that may be a stretch since the world record is 42.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal