collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: AHE GUYS GOOD OR BAD  (Read 5202 times)

Offline oneshot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
AHE GUYS GOOD OR BAD
« on: January 23, 2008, 03:58:25 PM »
 :hello:

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: AHE GUYS GOOD OR BAD
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:02:55 PM »
good-

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 04:31:48 PM »
I think that most of the folks that have done it are good people. The program is flawed and will be a very exclusive club in the future. I think the idea is good but the execution could be alot better.

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 05:28:13 PM »
What good can come from a poll like this unless everyone voting knows every in and out of the program. I have it and think the idea is good but don't know enough about the changes to really have a solid opinion. Are we voting from past experience or the concept? What's your point oneshot? Do you want to know about the guys or the program? :dunno:

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:34:37 PM »
Re reading the title I see your asking for opinions on the program, not the people in it. I'm still going to wait to see what direction this thread takes.

sisu

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »
I think that most of the folks that have done it are good people. The program is flawed and will be a very exclusive club in the future. I think the idea is good but the execution could be alot better.

Is this the Master Hunter Certification but with a new name?

Billy,I bold and underlined a section of your statement what does it mean? In other words can you explain this because I am lost sometimes by all the stuff that goes around in this state with regards to game laws, titles etc.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 06:02:01 AM »
The Advanced Hunter Education (AHE) program was started to teach hunters to be good stewards. To help educate the public and set a good example and it was open to everyone. They have since changed the name to Master Hunter Certification and to me the name says it all. Arrogance! Who in their right mind would call themselves a "Master Hunter"? The program actually teaches very little about hunting so maybe AHE wasn't a good name either, but anyway. Now the program has upped the requirements in many areas which will exclude many from finishing the course.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 07:02:08 AM »
I know of one guy that has done it that is a GOOD GUY. Heck that would be me. :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 06:50:37 PM »
I did the program two years ago.  Havent been drawn for any of the permits I put in for, which is disappointing.  But no regrets on my part.

Offline Drop Tine

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »
I went through the program 4years ago. In that time frame I have harvested 6 elk very rewarding when I look in the freezer. The first one was out of a hay field the rest taken on public land which were very rewarding hunts. So if they pump the requirements up a bit so be it, count me in.         :hunter: :EAT:

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 06:25:52 PM »
Here are my two cents.  I personally think it can be a good thing if it is better managed.  I vote for it being bad as of now.  I originally thought it was good, my dad is a "master hunter".  I just can't see justification to have a season that runs from August 1st through January 1st (not quite sure those are correct), but a very long season.  I dont agree with the issuing of two tags if you are successful on the first kill, one should be enough. 

Within upper Kittitas county there aren't many places that elk can cause harm to agriculture land because there is very little of it.  People are killing elk that 1) are most likely not the cause of land degredation and 2) killing them in areas that don't even border lands in which the elk could cause harm to.  I believe the unit is 3911 and has really increased.  The elk have too much pressure on them from August through January.  Just think of the energy expenditure that they must endure, their energy reserves are being decreased from people constantly pressuring them through winter activities and hunting purposes.

I see this program as a great way to manage the elk that due cause the land degradation problems,in those specific areas of emphasis, I think they should really reduce the hunting zones.  I would like to see master hunters only be able to kill elk or deer that are on landowners properties that have continuous land degradation due to wildlife. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 06:53:24 AM »
Bad.....not the people, but the program as stated previously, could be executed much better. 

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 09:27:47 AM »
I guess just yesterday, 5 or 6 Game wardens were writing tickets, taking weapons, and elk from guys that were shooting elk from the road and in the Ginko forest. Nice job guys  :tup: Way to help out the image of the rest of us. I've been in the program a long time, not sure I like all the change in requirements, but something has to change.

Offline Dansk

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »
I went through the program a while ago, and expected much more.  I have only been hunting deer/elk since '95 and thought it might help me get a jump on better areas, opportunities, and sharpen my hunting skills. 

They send you a bunch of pamphlets and photocopies of literature from around the states.  Most things I already knew, but the habitat, biology, and ethics sections were good.  I have also applied for the AHE tags every year but have only drawn once in 5 years- it was a 'we'll call you if we need you' hunt, and the phone never rang.  I have also hunted extensively in 3911, YTC, and surrounding areas all season (aug-jan) will no luck.  Very little public area available to hunt- and I scoured the ownership maps for a long time.  It was TOUGH getting permission from private owners- even in the off months.  It seemed people didn't care if you were AHE, VIP, CIA, BFD,.... all they hear is 'elk' and 'hunting' and consider it bad juju (maybe it was my old Nader for Prez hat I was wearing, or my cut-off Bellevue Rocks t-shirt??).  I've read some bad stories of prosecuted AHE poachers (EWash Locals even) so the bad rep doesn't suprise me.

The volunteer part was really good - spent some time with the local RMEF chapter out of Wooley improving habitat up the Nooksack.  That was fun- and met a great group of people.

It would be a GREAT program for anyone who knows property owners in the Kittitas, Wenas, and Yakima areas, or if you are new to hunting and didn't grow up learning about hunting/habitat/ethics from your dad or Grandpa (like me).

I am glad I did it, but don't think I'm going to waste any of my 4 draw choices on those AHE tags anymore.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]