collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: targets? bails, blocks, or 3D's?  (Read 9984 times)

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
targets? bails, blocks, or 3D's?
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:57:10 PM »
what do you guys shoot during the year bails, blocks, or 3Ds?

i practice on blocks all year, then around mid august i start shooting at 3D deer.

as far as blocks go i have only been using one block and its still got alot of life left into it. but the problem is its hollow with cardboard center so shooting broadheads into really sucks. so i dont shoot broadheads till i start shooting my 3D targets. BUT i would like to shoot BH's all year...so

what blocks do you guys shoot? and how have they been holding up to broadhead use?

also what 3D targets to do you shoot, and how do they also hold up to broadheads. i shoot those cheapo joe's 3d targets i think they are riverbottum bucks or something along those line. and they are toast after a month of shooting broadheads. i need something that holds up better...with replacable mid sections...

thanks for the input

Offline Bookworm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: targets? bails, blocks, or 3D's?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 10:48:52 PM »
I shoot the black hole block target. They work fine for field points. The broadheads tear them up. I'm gonna switch to something else when I switch to broadheads this summer.

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:03:11 PM »
I have used bails of straw which cost only 5 or 6 dollars a bail and buy a picture of an elk or deer at bi mart which has the vitals on it and pin it to the bails and shoot away. The bails of straw for me have been way more durable for shooting if you compare buying a block 4x4 or the original block which I own one of each. All targets like the block will handle thousands of shots from field points but once you switch to broadheads they get eatin up. I like the block for just shooting field points into and it is very portable and easy to take to hunting camp. The nice thing about bails of straw is that it doesn't take huge slices out the bails like any of these foam blocks do. Once the straw starts wearing down and the arrows start slicing through them easier I just put a bunch of card board on the back side of the bails where the two pieces of twine are and you are good to go for a while longer.

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 01:52:34 AM »
yeha i have big straw bail backstop...and shoot into it at paper plates and stuff...but when shooting broadheads i cant really shoot into them the blades always cut the twine lol

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:12:35 AM »
I shoot at a homemade foam target.  It works great for field points or broadheads and is easy to repair with expandable foam.  I cant use bales of hay or straw because I shoot clear through them an booger up my vanes.

Offline huntingnut

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:16:58 AM »
I currently have The Block and the riverbottom. I shot the block a few times with my broadheads and now have smoe soft spots. I have heard the Mackenzie Shotblock  and the Hip shot are a laminated block not a layered and hold up well to broadheads. I plan on buying one here soon.

Offline waoutdoorsman

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 07:50:08 AM »
I shoot cardboard sillouttes of deer that are tacked on to a haybail (@ the archery range), but this year im workin on a stand for a block target to place behind the vitals of cardboard siloutte-lol its my poor college kid version of a 3d target
Chupacabra: Spanish for mangy coyote.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »
I shot the block till it finally fell apart which wasn't very long and they are expensive, now I have a wal-mart cube target and it is working pretty good and is holding up very well considering I ground the sharp edge off my practice broadheads, Now they penetrate like field points and fly like broadheads, they are a tad lighter then when they were new but I notice almost no difference in flight.

Works for me !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »
I shoot a Morrell Block, leave it out side all year long, (North Central) and it is still totally useable.  I have had it for five years, but shoot it very little with practice broad heads.  My bow shoots field points within a couple inches of my broad head impact point.  I just verify with my broadheads before hunting season.  I also shoot a Cabelas Deer 3D almost every time.  The deer is what has made me more accurate for sure.

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 02:32:25 PM »
yeah i shoot slicktricks and they hit almost perfect with my fieldpoints. so i dont have to really shoot the broadheads if i dont want to. but i actually shoot a 3 vanes arrow with my fieldpoints and a 4vanes arrow with my broadheads. i have found it shoots alot better that way out of my bow.

this season i will go to fobs and see how that works.

plus i got a new recurve. and will need to shoot alot of broadheads out of that through the season to get it tuned up and shooting how i want it.

Offline 280ackley

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »
I have cedar bails for field points and use a Cabelas broadhead target for broadheads.
Life member: Washington Wild Sheep Foundation & NRA

Offline Backstraps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • eburg dan
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 08:54:02 PM »
My buddy has a range set up at his place. We use the block target with bales of hay behind it @ 20,30,40,50,and 60 yards! We get alot of practice shooting in the wind[Kittitas] :bash:
Book'em Dano

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 08:55:31 AM »
I shoot a Morrell eternity target for field tips and a Yellowjacket target for my broadheads.  I shoot Sonic broadheads and they don't seem to be tearing up the Yellowjacket too bad.  Have only had it this one fall, and generally switch to broadheads in August, for nightly practicing.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 01:45:25 PM »
OK I am about to start construction on a 10+ - target range on my property, I will have various types of shots (through the woods, up hill,down hill, open areas, brushey, ect...) and I want to see what your opinion is on the best types of targets to have that will withstand the shooting and the weather the best, I may build some covered targets to keep the weather from wrecking them but would like to find something that will last in the weather.

Maybe some of you folks have been to the ranges in the area and have seen what is being used there and can give me some ideas, I am open to all ideas so fire away !!

Thank you !!! 
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline chukar-ridge-quest

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 02:02:26 PM »
Been shooting a 4x4 Block for three years. It stays outside all year and is holding up well. Shoot my Steelforce broadheads (they kick a$$), into two sides, and field points in the others. In my opinion it is the best target out there.  No metal banding to break (like the original block, or the Black Hole). It looks like hell after two winters here in E-Burg, but still stops arrows like nothing else.
GOD GAVE US TWO EARS AND ONE MOUTH, SO WE CAN LISTEN TWICE AS MUCH AS WE TALK!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]