collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for a Turkey gun  (Read 11533 times)

Offline ST_C5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Looking for a Turkey gun
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:45:04 AM »
I need some advice: this will be my first turkey this year and i am looking to purchase a good turkey gun. I am not looking to go into debit but i do not want a cheap one also. SO i am willing to pay as much as 600.00 at this time. So any advice would be very helpful, i am new to hunting turkeys and really looking forward to my first hunt.
If you don't eat! Don't kill it!

Offline satchel3006

• Scout
Re: Looking for a Turkey gun
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:14:09 PM »
cant go wrong with an 870

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:20:12 PM »
pump?
auto? what do you prefer?
you can get a whole lot of turkey gun for $600.00
If I had $600 to burn I'd be forced to try out one of those 870 Tactical Turkey guns just cuzz they look cool.
 :)
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 12:39:44 PM »
I would build myself a turkey gun, get a rem 870, moss 88 or 500 used for a good price, put on something like a blackhawk/knoxx recoil reducing 5 position adjustable stock (never know how many layers of clothes you might have on), improved sights, turkey specific choke and a nice sling.
Bet you would be under 600 and have a great shooting and unique turkey gun..
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »
The 870 I mentioned has the knoxx stock and sights and is full camo and I think goes for about $550 all up.
maybe they don't make the tactical turkey anymore...the shurshot is cool though...
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0075468290717a.shtml
I can't get on remington's website at work due to the firewall.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 12:48:40 PM »
You could even go more price concince and get an ati stock for around $100. Heck look hard enough for a used gun and the whole setup might only be 300-350 once you are done..
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 12:48:52 PM »
Get a Remington SPS-T 870 12 SuperMag.  Should be able to get one easily for that price.

"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 12:51:04 PM »
Buck-I've seen those stocks used for $50.00
the only thing that alarms me is that they are a universal fit. No solid reason I guess, but that tends to scare me a little.

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 12:56:53 PM »
Buck-I've seen those stocks used for $50.00
the only thing that alarms me is that they are a universal fit. No solid reason I guess, but that tends to scare me a little.

I agree, just trying to let him know that for 600, he can have a gun, shells, gas money and a soda for the road.. :chuckle:, I am just cheap (thrifty) hate to see guys spend more that what is needed. (unless they are spending it with me.)
There was an 870 in the classifieds for like 200 just the other day..

Offline fishcrazy

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
 I purchased a nice used 870 that had been custom camo sprayed and had the short turkey barrel and removable choke.  I think I paid under $300.00 for it on Gunbroker.com. It worked well enough to kill 2 turkey my first year. And if I am lucky it will kill 2 this year.

Kris
This family supported by UNION wages. Proud member of UA Local 26

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook twice?

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 04:07:27 PM »
870 super mag
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 04:12:06 PM »
Another vote for the 870 supermag.  Several years ago, I purchased a new thumbhole turkey version for less that $500.  Very happy with it.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 04:35:11 PM »
870's are great.  There is a used 870 express listed in the classifieds on hunt-wa right now for 200:
http://hunting-washington.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1413&cat=24

I bought a handgun from the person listing it and he was a good seller.

if you want the shurshot stock, they sell for 80 bucks on cabelas and can be installed w/o special tools:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20811&id=0058345229371a&navCount=1&podId=0058345&parentId=cat20811&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Buy a full choke or a turkey choke for 20 bucks and you have a set up for about 300 bucks.

Don't let anyone tell you that you need 3.5 inch shells for turkey either!  A 3 inch 12 ga is more than enough gun to take out a gobbler.  I consider having a 12 ga that shoots 3.5 inch shells a nice to have feature.  
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline BPturkeys

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »
Simply can't go wrong with a Rem 870. Bought myun in 1962, still shoot it by choice.

BUT...the true test is in how well does the gun fit. Short of getting one fit to you (tough to buy one like that for $600), go to the store and snap a few different models up to your shoulder. Without making any adjustments, actually look down the barrel and see if you are down on the stock and aiming properly. If you have to adjust your head to get down on a gun, best to move on to something else. Remember, you'll never shoot a gun well that doesn't fit properly.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 08:58:08 PM »
i love my browning bps 3.5" from turkey to goose to duck to dove it lays them all out with diffrent choke tubes of course  :chuckle:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal