collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WA court: Farmer had right to shoot cherry-picking elk  (Read 18101 times)

Offline Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
Re: WA court: Farmer had right to shoot cherry-picking elk
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 06:47:23 PM »
It's Broke!!!I don't get it? Where was the Damage Draw from the remaining Statewide unfilled Elk Tags!!! >:(

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »
thats like comparing apples and oranges with a watermelon and a nut............

:chuckle:

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 10:19:27 PM »
Well, you read it and quoted it - too bad you didn't get it.  Read it again.  Good for you, for doing a good job and being proud of the job you do.  Thanks for doing your job. 

However, your service doesn't entitle you to put yourself on a pedestal and squeal about the unfairness of a hypothetical example, especially after taking low shots at good people doing hard jobs.  Buck up.     

I'm not offering an apology that's neither needed or deserved.  My example is right and proper, and your reaction proves it.  I understand perfectly what an insult it WOULD be to state the hypothetical example you quoted.  To whine that even using it as an example is an attack on every serviceman, and that I couldn't possibly get it - get real.  The Desert Storm vet I sleep next to doesn't think I attacked you - much less every other serviceman.         
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 11:05:53 PM »
This is not an attack at you doublelung, nor a debate.... ;)

Just my .02 Cents

:tup:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:57:26 PM by Coasthunterjay »

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 11:28:59 PM »

put the blame on whoever makes you feel good but it wasnt the farmer......you can calm down and be rest assured that i was accusing any individual officer......not one man can do everything......

Farmer's fault he should have  built stronger fences. He probably knew that animals came down and wintered aroudn his property every year.....so why not prevent it by buildign some nice fences huh?? He probably could have waited a little longer for the game department to work on getting some sort of damage control plan worked out where the animals wouldnt have beeen wasting. You cant expect it to happen over night. The farmer had many things he could have been doing other than going on killing sprees.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 11:47:16 PM »

put the blame on whoever makes you feel good but it wasnt the farmer......you can calm down and be rest assured that i WASN'T accusing any individual officer......not one man can do everything......

Farmer's fault he should have  built stronger fences. He probably knew that animals came down and wintered aroudn his property every year.....so why not prevent it by buildign some nice fences huh?? He probably could have waited a little longer for the game department to work on getting some sort of damage control plan worked out where the animals wouldnt have beeen wasting. You cant expect it to happen over night. The farmer had many things he could have been doing other than going on killing sprees.
FREEKING TYPOS......  WOOPS SORRY ABOUT THAT, JUST CAUGHT IT............that would explain wy me a doublung were bikering back and forth.....sorry dude :DOH:

and mossback this was something that had been adressed several times and i believe that the story states that WDFW had built a damage control fence in aiding the farmers problem...but it was so inexpensively or poorly built by contractors that ehe farmer also had to fund more money into fixing and repairing the fences but this also did not stop the Elk......i think that was in the story if you read it at the beginning ;). your right there probably was more he could have done but the state like what doublelung stated could have done more as well..............this was just one of many poorly represented situations that just happened to happen here.......
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:56:04 PM by Coasthunterjay »

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 11:08:58 AM »
I agree with 99% of what CoasthunterJay wrote, and took exception to what is really a side-note to the issue.  And, though we've never met, I like what I see of what he writes.  I think we'd get along, he'd be welcome at my campfire anytime (especially being young and strong, with his packframe, and my big dead elk down in the canyon ...).  We're on the same team.

I think this is an unfortunate situation, but as I wrote before, I am glad the orchardist was exonerated.  He might have made a poor business decision (ie, depending on the state to keep big game, near the core of big game habitat, out of his orchards, while experiencing hundreds of thousands in damage...); but not criminal.  At least, that's my take based on what one reporter wrote. 

These kinds of cruddy situations will continue to occur, as long as the people in charge think it's fine that limited resources are squandered to make the leadership as comfortable as possible at the expense of the fish and wildlife resources. 

In 2007, WDFW had 1,601 employees; roughly 850 in Olympia, and roughly 750 in the rest of the state.  Of the 750 in the field, the majority are hatchery workers raising and rearing fish.  Maybe 350 peopel in the field, monitoring, managing and protecting the resources.  I think that's piss-poor management of limited resources, and piss-poor allocation of OUR money to manage OUR resources. 

If Olympia staff were reduced to 500 or so, and those assets allocated to the FIELD, I think it would be a lot better.  Or, reduce the excess STAFF, give the field staff the aerial survey time, study resources, and other tools to do their jobs better with existing personnel, and devote more resources to managing existing wildlife lands and acquiring more, and it would be a heck of a lot better. 

Just my 2 cents, trying to point the finger in the right direction. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 11:13:45 AM »
In my opinion it should be up to the farmer/orchardist/landowner to put up his own fences to protect his property. It should not be the responsibility of the state.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 11:33:55 AM »
A_MEN

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »
If Olympia staff were reduced to 500 or so, and those assets allocated to the FIELD, I think it would be a lot better.  Or, reduce the excess STAFF, give the field staff the aerial survey time, study resources, and other tools to do their jobs better with existing personnel, and devote more resources to managing existing wildlife lands and acquiring more, and it would be a heck of a lot better.

You think reducing staff would allow them to do a better job? What excess staff?

sisu

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 12:54:31 PM »

You think reducing staff would allow them to do a better job? What excess staff?

I think Billy they are talking admin staff cut backs and put those 500 back in the field. (I could be wrong though, but that is how I read it)

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 01:39:05 PM »
Sisu's mainly right.  Either put them back in the field as staff, or put the cost savings toward allowing existing field staff the resources to do the job better, or a combination of the two.  Not saying there is an excess of resources, saying they are poorly allocated; kind of like buying new furniture instead of glasses and braces for your kids (disclaimer: that's an analogy, in no way suggesting anyone reading this neglects their kids!).

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 01:45:19 PM »
One last comment: Bobcat and Boneaddict, I totally agree, those should be part of the cost of doing business.  I know a lot of orchardists in Chelan Co. that understand that, and put in a fence when they put in an orchard; and some of them tell that orchardists who put in an orchard in core deer and elk habitat w/o fencing are fools and poor businessmen.  Unfortunately, that's not the law of the land.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 03:19:39 PM »
I think Billy they are talking admin staff cut backs and put those 500 back in the field. (I could be wrong though, but that is how I read it)

If they are top heavy then I agree, but even the low level staffing is too light.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 06:52:51 PM »

Excess staff?  Apparently they don't have anyone available to send out my master hunter package. :dunno:  Was told the one person that does that is out on extended family emergency.  A freind sent his in at same time and got his, guess I just missed the boat. :bash:  Patience is a virtue.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]