collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you do with a coyote after you kill one?  (Read 28279 times)

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
Re: What do you do with a coyote after you kill one?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »
Some guys hang them to show the rancher they were successful (helpful to the rancher). Others for braggadocia
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline shaneman153D

• Hunter
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 06:19:11 AM »
Shaneman where do you take them?

Moscow Hide & Fur in ID.  However I've heard that a lot of places will take them whole like that.  I'm looking for another place, last year they quit taking them in after 2 trips (35 coyotes maybe?).  Only trouble with doing it that way is you have to have a lot of storage space, we could only stuff about 17 in my friend's freezer.

Offline raevan

• Pilgrim
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 09:52:11 PM »
On page 66 of the 2010 hunting regs Small Game, Coyote are listed as a Small Game animal, therefore to waste it would be in violation of the law. Page 73:Under "Possesion and use of Wildlife" Item number 2 states: Waste of Wildlife:You may NOT allow game animals or game birds you have taken to recklessly be wasted.

Coyote Skulls, Bones, Hides and claws can be sold.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 10:28:44 PM »
Coyotes are not a protected species so I don't think you are required to use them for anything. I don't know many people who would want to eat them. 

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 11:34:19 PM »
Coyotes are not a protected species so I don't think you are required to use them for anything. I don't know many people who would want to eat them. 
Yum yum yote back straps or hamburger helper :drool: :EAT:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 11:52:06 AM »
On page 66 of the 2010 hunting regs Small Game, Coyote are listed as a Small Game animal, therefore to waste it would be in violation of the law. Page 73:Under "Possesion and use of Wildlife" Item number 2 states: Waste of Wildlife:You may NOT allow game animals or game birds you have taken to recklessly be wasted.

Coyote Skulls, Bones, Hides and claws can be sold.

I think either you are confused a bit, or I am.  Here is my take on this, take it for what it's worth. 

Just because parts of an animal can be sold, does not mean it is a "game" type animal.  A bear IS a game animal, and as far as I know, you may not sell it's parts.  I've heard of people going to jail for doing that.  Also, I don't think you can legally sell anything from a coyote carcass without a trapping license.  (Yes, we have trapping licenses).  If an animal is harvested with the intent to profit from it's parts, I think it ceases to be "game" and become commercial.  Also, as far as I know, a coyote is also classified as a "fur bearer".  I think the separation comes from both the intent to eat it or not, and maybe from WDFW selling a tag for it.  Although I've eaten some raccoon, some beaver, and some porcupine once, I still wouldn't consider them a game animal.  The raccoon, and bobcat are listed as "small game", however it can be trapped as a  furbearer just like a coyote.   

In answer to the thread title; my son and I sell the pelts that are prime and good.  This time of the year, it's more about fawn protection as no hides are any good.  My son has been saving some of the skulls to whiten, but we don't use anything else from the carcass.  If someone wants them, I'll gladly tell you where they are so they don't go to "waste".  That's my take on it. 
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2010, 12:01:07 PM »
This is from the WDFW website:

Legal Status

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife does not classify coyotes as game animals, but a state license is required to hunt or trap them (RCW 77.32.010). The owner, the owner's immediate family, employee, or a tenant of real property may kill or trap a coyote on that property if it is damaging crops or domestic animals (RCW 77.36.030). A license is not required in such cases. Check with your county and/or local jurisdiction for local restrictions. Except for bona fide public or private zoological parks, persons and entities are prohibited from importing a coyote into Washington State without a permit from the Department of Agriculture and written permission from the Department of Health. Persons and entities are also prohibited from acquiring, selling, bartering, exchanging, giving, purchasing, or trapping a coyote for a pet or export (WAC 246-100-191).

Offline shaneman153D

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 05:06:39 PM »
This is from the WDFW website:

Legal Status

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife does not classify coyotes as game animals, but a state license is required to hunt or trap them (RCW 77.32.010). The owner, the owner's immediate family, employee, or a tenant of real property may kill or trap a coyote on that property if it is damaging crops or domestic animals (RCW 77.36.030). A license is not required in such cases. Check with your county and/or local jurisdiction for local restrictions. Except for bona fide public or private zoological parks, persons and entities are prohibited from importing a coyote into Washington State without a permit from the Department of Agriculture and written permission from the Department of Health. Persons and entities are also prohibited from acquiring, selling, bartering, exchanging, giving, purchasing, or trapping a coyote for a pet or export (WAC 246-100-191).

Wish I had known that, wouldn't have bought a license!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »
Don't you have a hunting license anyway?

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 06:02:56 PM »
What do you do with a coyote after you kill one? I was thinking about trying  to go and hunt them. But not sure what to do with it after i shot it. What do you do with it.

LMAO   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline ratherhunt

• Scout
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2010, 11:49:45 AM »
Leave them where they drop

Offline shaneman153D

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 12:24:06 PM »
Don't you have a hunting license anyway?

Yeah, but I only really hunt coyotes in WA.  I might try for a deer this year, but I won't buy a big game license until Oct.

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »
After I shoot them, there is usually softball size holes in em.. not good for much but more coyote bait.   :chuckle: :chuckle:
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]