• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: Hatch
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 11:53:20 AM »
We have been very concerned too. Record rainfall in May and we are still getting rain almost every day.

One good thing, there has been sunny times most days, so perhaps the chicks are getting a few insects to survive. My fingers are crossed, as someone else said, July will show us how the hatch went. :)
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline yelp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 12:19:09 PM »
Seen another nice size group of poults this week.  Quail hatches too.
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 05:54:49 AM »
Saw 5 chicks yesterday in front of the house, looked to be the same size as week old chickens.  The next door neighbor saw a hen with 8 tiny chicks in his yard last Saturday.  Another local saw a hen with 6-8 chicks about three weeks ago.  Looks like a good year here on the island.

The toms are still gobbling this morning.  I don't recall hearing them this late in the year before.

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 10:25:24 PM »
I saw 2 hens with estimated 6 chicks each.  It was very difficult to tell exactly how many do to the tall grass. This was south of Deer Lake about 5 miles in Stevens county.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 09:17:24 PM »
I've seen 20-25 pairs of quail and not one single chick yet.  :(
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »
 :'(

Boy I hate hearing that...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 12:02:02 AM »
Saw three turkey hens yesterday, a mile west of Deer Park. There were two hens on the right side of the road. My wife counted 14 plus chicks. The hen on the left was in tall grass, couldn't see any thing.  A week ago my nephew near Sacheen Lake saw a hen with a bunch of chicks as he phrased it, couldn't get a count. I saw three hens with out any chicks along Fertile Valley road.  It appears that there is a very large variation in brood size.  Since it is so wet one would expect poor hatching. Once it dries enough so hay fields can be cut, so we can see, it may be possible to get some brood counts.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 07:03:23 AM »
I've only seen two pheasants with chicks.  One had 4 chicks, the other only one.  I've seen zero quail chicks so far but did see one group of 12-14 hun chicks the other day.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 08:37:56 PM »
I saw four hens today in a group...no chicks.   :'(
Fred Moyer

Offline sako223

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »
We have had the rain too and some chicks died, yesterday found a pile of eggs abandoned. Still there are hundreds of chicks around often 16-50 at a time. People stopping by are in awe at the large broods. Some look half grown today, others the size of mice.
These can't possibly be the only ones in the state.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 10:37:56 PM »
Every summer I see tons and tons of quail and turkey chicks, haven't seen a single one this year, lost of quail pairs and several hens, not a single chick.  Glad to hear your seeing some.
Fred Moyer

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 11:23:16 PM »
Will hens have a second hatch if they only have a few chicks for there first or do they have to loose them all?

Most birds speices only have a 2nd hatch or nest attemp if the firs nest is lost..........not hatched and lost.
If the nest is destroyed or does not hatch she will make a 2nd attempt.
If the eggs hatch and the young are lost..............she will NOT attempt a 2nd nest.

What you posted is certainly consistent with the turkey literature - that said, I have had radioed hens hatch a brood, lose it, and renest.  Oddly, they typically relocated 20-50 air miles before renesting.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2010, 10:25:07 AM »
Will hens have a second hatch if they only have a few chicks for there first or do they have to loose them all?

Most birds speices only have a 2nd hatch or nest attemp if the firs nest is lost..........not hatched and lost.
If the nest is destroyed or does not hatch she will make a 2nd attempt.
If the eggs hatch and the young are lost..............she will NOT attempt a 2nd nest.

What you posted is certainly consistent with the turkey literature - that said, I have had radioed hens hatch a brood, lose it, and renest.  Oddly, they typically relocated 20-50 air miles before renesting.

Wow that is a long way to move.
Fred Moyer

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 11:18:42 AM »
We have had the rain too and some chicks died, yesterday found a pile of eggs abandoned. Still there are hundreds of chicks around often 16-50 at a time. People stopping by are in awe at the large broods. Some look half grown today, others the size of mice.
These can't possibly be the only ones in the state.

Sako223, what part of the State are you located?  :dunno:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 08:56:08 PM »
Talked to a neighbor today, who saw a turkey hen with a couple of newly hatched chicks a couple of days ago. Apparently some late or second hatching. I saw a road killed chick a week ago that was larger than a mature pheasant.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal