collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 270 winchester bear loads  (Read 21690 times)

Offline Bscman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: 270 winchester bear loads
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 06:17:22 PM »
With a non-bonded bullet, 150gr without a doubt.
Any good quality bonded bullet I'd probably lean 150gr if it shoots well, but wouldn't hesitate with a 130gr.

My #1 would be a Barnes Triple Shock...most likely the 130's will shoot better than the 150's with this bullet. Either will be MORE than enough for a WA state blackie.

Modern bullet technology will change the way you view "smaller" calibers on "bigger" game...once you see the results first hand.
I left it better than I found it...did you?
I hunt animals because veggies are too easy to stalk.

Offline klickitat

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 06:33:46 PM »
find a ballistics table for the .270 and compare energy at the furthest yardage you are competent shooting at.

BTW: if a bow and arrow will kill it  :o then a .270 has nothing to worry about.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »
Modern bullet technology will change the way you view "smaller" calibers on "bigger" game...once you see the results first hand.

Agreed...

Partitions hand down are a great bullet....but going to 150 will loose you distance...

Also im a big bonded bullet fan...going bonded allows you to use a little less grain bullet and still produce the knock down power of the higher grained bullet. and in return allowing you to have a higher performance round. FASTER+KNOCKDOWN=DEAD EVERYTIME! Well as long as you can aim at what your shooting at....lol...

But personnel preferance.....
Accubonds are my favorite(ILL EXPLAIN MY REASONS), but i have alot of friends that ive seen first hand have had great results with the Barnes TSX....The only thing or technical difference between the two is that the barnes vs nosler, weight for weight will have a lower BC(balistic cofficiency), not much, but it does.... Which not sure if you know what that means, basically is how well it will fly. So the higher the BC..the better it flys and more accurate at longer distances it will fly....im talking at ranges ot past 500YRDS...Which for most are not trained or proficiant enough to shoot those distances...So in most cases most this idoesnt matter...but back to what i was saying.

I guess I should explain that a little better...if you measure a 140 grain accubond(or ballistic tip, its in the upper 400BC almost 500BC i think...which is really good) its basically the highest BC 270 bullet on the market...because its almost perfectly aerodymanic or better shaped like a foot ball. perfect length for the calibers width. The Barnes tsx 140 bullet if you take a micrometer will be slightly longer which makes it a hair longer..making it a hair unbalanced or i dont know how to say this...um...not as TRUE i guess...and in return actually makes the 130 grain barnes tsx a better option because the BC(balistic cofficiency) is better.

But in the END...if you take a common higher grained bullet...140-150 grained bullet and get good sucessful groups with it..IDE STICK with it...aim for the sweet spot..which is actually shallower in the body cavity than most think..and wait for a stepping off shot and hope that the bullet will take out the back leg going back words...a nice open shot is what you want...BUT AGAIN JUST MY OPINION! probably plenty that will agree with and some that might disagree...but then again there are alot of different ways to skin a cat...lol

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »
Partitions hand down are a great bullet....but going to 150 will loose you distance...

Not really. Maybe 3 or 4 inches more drop at 400 yards. Not enough to matter. With either one, when you get much over 300 yards, you should have a rangefinder and know how much the bullet drops at that range. Also, the 150 grain, with a higher B.C. will be pushed less by the wind.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 07:00:06 PM »
This subject keeps popping up.... Not that I am one to brag about anything but I have shoot thousands of rounds threw a .270 from target practice to coyotes to elk and bear ... the ONLY BULLET THAT COMES OUT OF MY .270 IS 140 GR. HORNADAY BOATTAIL AND HAND LOADED WITH IMR 4831 AND taking 21 bear from 25 yds out to 500 + yds this bullet has been flawless ... and has dropped every animal it has come in contact with... But it doesnt matter when the bullet doesnt land in the kill zone.....it is all about bullet placement  , if you cant shoot for *censored* a 300 ultra mag. wont help ya neither!!!!!!!!!!!!! :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 07:07:46 PM »
the 130 will be fine just shoot what the gun groups best with plenty of bears have been killed with a 130g bullet :tup:
And plenty lost! Use the 150 grn Noslers. Still not ideal but if its the only gun you got use the heavier bullet! :twocents:
so exactly what is ideal?
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 07:10:44 PM »
a good friend of mines family for years had the government contracts for problem bears in washington state they have killed many many many bears and their favorite bear guns were remington pumps in .270. and they favored the old 130 grain silver tip.
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 07:10:58 PM »
And I MUST SAY ONE MORE THING, IF you have not taken many bear I would suggest shooting alittle high in the shoulder and you will see a bear drop in his tracks .. Shooting a bear threw the lungs will end up with you tracking him threw brush and most likely well over 100 yds before you recover him....Just 30 yrs of bear killing experience talking......not just talking but a whole lot of killin....... ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 07:15:12 PM »
I shot a bear through the center of the heart with a 30-06 and 180 Winchester Power Points. He still was able to run 100 yards.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 07:19:51 PM »
LOAD UP A FEW 140 GR. HORNADAYS WITH IMR 4831 , SHOOT YOUR GUN IN ABOUT 1 1/4 HIGH AT 100YDS  ( FROM CENTER OF BULLSEYE ) PUT YOURSELF A MILK JUG AT 300 YDS HOLD DEAD ON ( SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER) AND SEE HOW THAT TREATS YA !!!!!!!THIS BULLET IS SERIOSLY FLAT SHOOTIN AND DEFINATELY WILL DROP *censored*.....

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 07:34:51 PM »
good soild bullet like the nosler partition and you will be good to go
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »
Partition is good, but because the triple shock retains its weight, it will get better penetration and will more often shoot clear through a bear which is extremely important for tracking a bear. Entry holes do not bleed on bear, you need an exit hole.

I have seen hundreds of bear killed with just about every modern rifle and pistol caliber ever produced. The .284 and larger calibers are definitely better, the 444, 45/70, or 12 ga slug/buckshot really drops them at close range and at longer ranges any of the 300+ magnums are extremely good.

But put a triple shock in your 270, sight it in dead-on at 200 yds, and avoid shooting past 300 yards and you will do OK. The partitions will work too, but the Barnes will work better because they retain their weight and will penetrate deeper. :twocents:

The average hunter does not hold a good enough group past 300 yards to consistently put a killing shot on a bear with any caliber. :twocents:

Almost forgot to add, try to get the vitals and break at least one front shoulder and you will do OK. :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »
yep good point bearpaw about tryin to break one of the shoulder but always go for vitals first and try to break the opposite shoulder. i have shot the barnes but i had very poor results on paper with them and the only bullet i have ever shot that i have seen key hole and they were doing it at 100 yards as well not sure what was up i only use there handgun bullets now and muzzle bullets

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
If your gun won't group the Barnes then I agree they are no good for that gun. From what I have seen with the barnes you can just bulldoze right through the shoulder take out some vitals and exit the other side. Truly an amazing bullet.

Before Barnes came along the Partition was one of my favorites. I have also shot a bunch of Corelocks but sometimes I shake my head at the poor construction and the way they come apart, especially if they hit some bone.

The big difference is the tough construction on the Barnes, it retains it's weight, so you can shoot a lighter bullet and get better penetration than you would in a heavier bullet of almost all other brands.

FYI - The Remington guy we had at our competition shoot told us that Remington has bought Barnes and will be lowering the cost and tightening the specs on the Barnes bullets. Thought you might find that interesting. They are also releasing factory Remington ammo with Barnes bullets.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 08:52:24 PM »
very nice to know.

* Advertisement