collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: maybe NEW STATE RECORD and world RECORD BLACK BEAR!  (Read 36555 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: maybe NEW STATE RECORD and world RECORD BLACK BEAR!
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 08:48:04 PM »
Iceman,

I emailed the local DNR office and asked about some recent closures on a certain network of roads. The local head guy e-mailed back and said I was free to walk or cycle it, but to be aware that there would be motorcycles and quads and etc in there because it wasn't closed to them. They had closed the gates to keep people from stealing timber. He very specifically told me it was open to ATV's and Motorcycles, and said it would be posted closed if it was.

This is especially true in areas (DNR) that have alot of trails that cross roads.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 09:33:36 PM »
Rainshadow1, thanks for the clarification. I was not aware of this information until today, someone else also PM'd me the info earlier. I am sort of shocked though, about the decision to allow motorized vehicles behind gates. Talk about confusing. I said earlier that I would be really pissed about having some dude ride up behind me after I walked in three miles behind what I thought was a gate closed to motorized traffic. DNR should post the crap out of this rule before someone has a confrontation over the issue.

As for the bear, what a hog!

As for the people shooting deer with "two fatal" shots (?) with a 22 caliber rifle, which is illegal in this state, they may want to get their priorities straight. I would not be bragging about shoting deer illegally and taking ducks out of season on this site. Maybe the moderators can take this cause up. This crap makes us all look bad.

We have all made bad decisions in our hunting lives. I have. I am not proud of anything I have done wrong, or by accident not knowing game laws perfectly. But, I have learned from them, not made excuses, or tried to explain them away, and especially not bragged about them later.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Lincoln4

• Born again Idahoan
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 10:04:57 PM »

As for the people shooting deer with "two fatal" shots (?) with a 22 caliber rifle, which is illegal in this state, they may want to get their priorities straight. I would not be bragging about shoting deer illegally and taking ducks out of season on this site. Maybe the moderators can take this cause up. This crap makes us all look bad.

We have all made bad decisions in our hunting lives. I have. I am not proud of anything I have done wrong, or by accident not knowing game laws perfectly. But, I have learned from them, not made excuses, or tried to explain them away, and especially not bragged about them later.

Nicely said...
USN 82-88
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Cancer Survivor
Husband & Dad
Retired LEO
Political Refugee

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 10:15:17 PM »
That thing is huge! I've seen a 585 pounder that was killed after I told someone where it was at ... no one belived me when I said it had to be 600 pounds I wasn't far off but I'll tell you his head wasn't as big as this guy's!!!!! WOW!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 10:51:01 PM »
There are certain guys out there that I take the story, divide by 2, then consider that the truth.  For example, 400 yard shot = 200 yard shot.  Or a 220" buck = 110" buck.  You get the idea...

Offline MasterTracker

• Hunter
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 11:23:18 PM »
Hey ICEMAN who even said i shot it in this state? or even this country! Hey man looks like you got something towards me your always talking crap!!!

sorry about that people so about that gate. that gate is on private property and the hill off to the right is where the bear was killed. and below the hill is the orchard and if you look to the top far left corner of the gate you can see something that looks like a house well that is a house. and as far as it getting scored he's not a horn hunter so it wasnt that big of a deal to him. so i jumped on his ass to get it scored hey are there any people on here that can do it? where does he need to take it to and what information does he need? and also about the gates there are alot of gates up top and there thair to keep high school kids from leavenworth and cashmere out.. to many damn kegers/bonfires!!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 11:30:36 PM by Ray(huntwa) »

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 11:28:49 PM »
what i want to know is,, who the hell shoots at bears at 550 yards?.. regardless of cannon choice, thats still not an ethical shot at all, at least to me. i may be too old fashioned.... so if im correct,, the skull has been cleaned and measured.. granted it needs dry time, but still,, it has been cleaned????
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2008, 11:48:13 PM »
Its a nice bear. Grats. 550 is a long shot for me...(I shoot nothing over 100yrds), but still a pretty bear. I hope it works out for him! ;)

Cheers~

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2008, 06:01:33 AM »
Hey "Master Tracker", it is not that I have anything against you, it is just a bit difficult to believe what you have to say. I believe you know a guy who shot an awesome bear. I believe it! I believe you hiked into lake Dorothy! But, it just seems to me that your stories seem to have to be more amazing than anyone else's. From learning you were a "shooter" the day you expertly killed a deer at an amazing 135yards with a .22 rifle with "2 fatal shots" (on a "hill" none the less, wow, a hill!), to the flyfishing, bear calling, girl friend toting, out of season duck eating, 5.4 mile off the trail deer hunt you went on, where you heard a bear silently cirlce you, and it winded your girlfriend who sat patiently with you for two hours as you called the bruiser in from two miles away.......

Oh, hell, never mind.

You are right, you truly are the Master Tracker.

molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2008, 06:06:36 AM »
Ice, ya beat me on the post, but I am posting anyway.

Master Tracker - I think you are not gettting the point.

Hey ICEMAN who even said i shot it in this state? or even this country! Hey man looks like you got something towards me your always talking crap!!!

He is trying to tell you to smarten up. Unethical things happen, but they don't need to be brought up on a continuous basis. So far the tally seems to be 1. a duck in the high country, 2. shooting a deer with a .22. These things also seem to have been done deliberately, and you brought them up in a public forum and the general consensus is that something is fishy. You might want to rethink before you post.

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2008, 07:44:35 AM »
am i the only one who thinks that a 550 yard shot on bears is kind of an unresponsible thing to do??? even with the best of hardware,, bears dont bleed a whole lot.. coupled with the fact that at that range, with no pal to spot him,,it would be impossible to read the hit because the recoil would throw you off for a sec.....well if he accidently killed a bear at that range,,, bully for him,, i would ask him why he did not get closer... bears arent THAT hard to stalk....

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2008, 08:32:59 AM »
I wouldn’t recommend it, but I hate getting in the distance shooting debate.  First of all as Pope stated, most 500 yard shots are closer to 250.  I also have shot a bear at 500 yards, when I was younger with a 30-06 180 grain Hornady, and I knew the weapon pretty darn well.  I wouldn’t recommend it, but he was standing there at attention looking at a 4 point buck in front of him and I had the best possible rest, and I couldn’t get any closer.  I practice out to 400 and knew my weapon and handloads.  Soooooo, I agree, too long of shot, but doable if you are the right person and have the right weapon.  This one seemed to work.  I also could careless about the gate.  Lots of conjecture with analyzing that pic.  I am bothered by the 22 and I guess the duck story out there.  If He was 60 years old, then the 22 wouldn’t mean anything to me, as I know a lot of them died that way….NOT at 135 yards.   I would guess we have a bit of a stretcher here, and will now be labeled as such, and most will not believe a word he says, so he will have to double everything to be believable.  I do agree that is a big bear!

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2008, 09:19:32 AM »
am i the only one who thinks that a 550 yard shot on bears is kind of an irresponsible thing to do??? even with the best of hardware,, bears dont bleed a whole lot.. coupled with the fact that at that range, with no pal to spot him,,it would be impossible to read the hit because the recoil would throw you off for a sec.....well if he accidently killed a bear at that range,,, bully for him,, i would ask him why he did not get closer... bears arent THAT hard to stalk....

It totally depends on the person behind the weapon, the weapon, and the conditions.  As a "general" rule, yes 550 is probably too long a shot.  But by no means can you throw a blanket over it and state that shooting at an animal at that distance is unethical/irresponsible.   

Offline Armadillo

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 09:29:12 AM »
As long as its not with a 22 :chuckle:
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2008, 09:34:33 AM »
but still,, i may be kicking a dead or dieing horse,,, but with any hardware able to kill at 550yards, you are going to lose sight of that bear even for a split second... and no one to call your shot?....i know,, long range is subjective,,, but on things with claws and sharp teeth... close is always better,,IMO

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal