collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: hunting packs  (Read 27218 times)

Offline bowhuntin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: hunting packs
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 06:30:30 AM »
I did not vote cause you don't have my pack. Its a Barney's Pinnacle and it is the best pack I have ever used for packing. I have packed a whole boned elk with no problems to the pack. I also have a Arc'teryx Bora 80 and a 95 which are great packs up to hundred pound loads. My early season scouting pack is a Osprey Aether 60. Branden

So in one trip you are saying you packed out some 200 lbs. of meat with that pack? If that is what you are claiming I would have to say :bs:

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 07:38:01 AM »
if i cant get two shoulders, two straps, two hams, one head and cape on a MULE i have severe doubts that this fellow could even put such a heavy pack on byhimself.. :bs:              i wasnt going to sayanything,, but....bs
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »
I use a Cabelas Alaskan Frame Pack with lots of compartments.  It is a comfortable pack with lots of straps and can hold a lot which I hate because I tend to put more meat in it than I can actually pack.

Branden

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 10:11:36 PM »
Just cause you guys can't does not mean I can not. And I was not including the cape and antlers in that. I ran back down for the cape and antlers. Also I think the bulls in Colorado are not as big as the bulls in Washington. All the meat on my buddies bull weighed about 270 with the leg bones. There is no way that the bulls we shot in Colorado were that big.

I know a couple guys that cut bulls in half and pack them out that way. Also one of those guys packed a whole spike out. It does happen.

It happens by Men who hunt elk.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »
I think this question was on here awhile ago but without the poll ... I have the Badlands 2800 and it is awsome! some have seen these before but here's how it works.

With just your gear.

now you got something so you open it up.

And put your meat inside (which has an internal pack BOARD ... not just a FRAME)

Then you pull the bat wings back over and strap them up and your ready to get your partner to help you get the 80 pounds on your back.

See I dont have a lifted truck and a little wiener so I'm not afraid to tell you guy's that I don't carry more than 80 pounds!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 05:47:05 AM »
So M_Ray you are trying to tell us that packing a whole large elk out with this pack is unconcievable in one trip and that you would rather save the wear and tear on your body than get injured trying to over do it? Possibly brains will win over braun 90% of the time.. :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 06:19:50 AM »
M Ray, thanks for the pics. Looks like a cool pack.

But, I am tired of carrying meat, and, I only want to make one trip with a whole elk, so I am opting for the Barneys Pinnacle Miracle pack, the one with the Superman Logo, so I can save my time. I am a man, and I hunt Elk!

Branden, the reason I am being an ass is; (you seem to try to insult all others here who apparently arent men cause we take a few trips to carry elk out...) and more importantly; because your story seemed a bit implausible... (difficult to believe. ) I simply wanted to know how much meat you are talking about carrying out, in one trip, on your pack. Answer the damned question. IF you were saying that "we leave the rib cage meat, the heart, the liver, all forearm/foreleg meat,...and only take the quarters and backstraps... " then I can (maybe) see carrying out only the meat from the quarters..... 

How much do you think your pack weighed, with your one trip elk?
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 08:14:48 AM »
Hey Mray, That hurts I have a little wiener and a lifted truck but I'll only pack around 80#.   :chuckle: :chuckle:

I see that you compensating with a Harley though  :chuckle:

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 08:50:32 AM »
where is the picture of this huge load on his back?..if i was ever dumb enough to pull that kinda stunt i would want a picture to remind me how stupid i was..

im not ashamed to say that in the absence of a mule, it takes me 4-5 trips in my 2200
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 08:51:21 AM »
I have the Eberlestock J104. Great pack. I've packed out a couple of deer with it, but never an elk.

For elk I've always used my Cabela's Alaskan frame pack. It'll hold way more than I can or will carry. If I ever have the opportunity I'm sure my Eberlestock would be up to packing a quarter of an elk at a time, deboned of course.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2008, 09:30:46 AM »
Hey Mray, That hurts I have a little wiener and a lifted truck but I'll only pack around 80#.   

Unlucky ... you are a real loser then!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2008, 09:37:40 AM »
Maybe this has been covered in here but I must have missed it, I know some of you must be (I hate to say "wide load" but) very broad in the shoulders and maybe a little high in the PSI if you know what I mean.

Are there any companies that make a "Big and Tall" hunting pack ?? I can't seem to wear most of the packs out there cause the straps are sewn too close together and I feel like I am in a full nelson all the time. Maybe it is a suggestion we can make to the manufacturers of some of these packs !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »
bobcat- speaking of your Cabelas Alaskan frame here is a pic of me with my Elk head on it. I fiddled around trying to get it on my Badlands cause I really wanted to carry it on there but my buddies got impatient and just put it on the Cabelas.
I guess I fibbed a bit cause this is a 100 plus # pack here (said I only carry 80) and my buddie standing there has at least 80-90 pounds of boned meat and my 2800 is on the ground with another 70-80 pounds of boned meat and this is our third and final trip between three guy's and our first 2 trips were much the same! That's 9 trips with a minimum of 70 pounds and a head, Granted we didn't bone the quarters but that would have only shaved two trips at best so realistically if it were all boned it would have been 7 trips, 6 meat and 1 head.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:00:06 AM by M_ray »

MB

Offline archery288

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
thats always a good sight mark!!!  :drool: congrats  again

Offline huntingnut

• Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 09:57:10 AM »
Maybe this has been covered in here but I must have missed it, I know some of you must be (I hate to say "wide load" but) very broad in the shoulders and maybe a little high in the PSI if you know what I mean.

Are there any companies that make a "Big and Tall" hunting pack ?? I can't seem to wear most of the packs out there cause the straps are sewn too close together and I feel like I am in a full nelson all the time. Maybe it is a suggestion we can make to the manufacturers of some of these packs !!

Check out www.blacks-creek.com they have a shoulder and waist strap made for thier packs desinged for big guys. I have the Alaskan and find that the waist strap rides a little high, I am thinking about upgrading to this strap to help. They are truely great pack I love mine.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal