collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cub Survival Odds  (Read 16833 times)

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Cub Survival Odds
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:28:37 PM »
So, without creating a debate on the right/wrong moral/ethical question of whether or not to shoot a sow with cubs, what do you think the odds are that a cub would survive without a mother to protect it. I ask because I am honest enough to say I will have a hard time in the heat of the moment deciding what I should do. I am looking for my first bear this year and probably won't know my decision until I am faced with it. So, please stick to topic and don't bash if someone mentions taking a sow with or without knowing she had cubs. Just looking for opinions regarding cub survival.

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
Re: Cub Survival Odds
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 12:34:26 PM »
Its pretty tough on the cubs, odds are very low.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline D-Rock425

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:34:38 PM »
I don't know what the numbers would be but I'm thinking pretty low odds that this years cubs would make it without mom. :twocents:

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:36:52 PM »
'hard time in the heat of the moment deciding what I should do'
how so?
RMEF

Offline D-Rock425

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 12:39:41 PM »
You could go buy your second bear tag and shoot momma and the baby.  Would that be wrong?

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 12:39:57 PM »
How so?

I guess I'm just excited to be out hunting, looking for that first bear. I am all for conservation, habitat renewal, good stewardship, and the like. However, when faced with a legal animal I will be tempted to take it. I like to think I have the discipline to not shoot a sow without some effort spent to make sure there are no cubs but....I am sure the temptation will be there when faced with my first shooter bear.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 12:40:22 PM »
Momma would be the rug and baby the slippers maybe?

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 12:44:15 PM »
Momma would be the rug and baby the slippers maybe?
Bedspread, and pillow case ?
 :chuckle:
Seriously (and I am no expert) but if it was one of this years, I would pass, but if it is one of last years.. :mgun2:
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 12:46:08 PM »
So, without creating a debate on the right/wrong moral/ethical question of whether or not to shoot a sow with cubs, what do you think the odds are that a cub would survive without a mother to protect it. I ask because I am honest enough to say I will have a hard time in the heat of the moment deciding what I should do. I am looking for my first bear this year and probably won't know my decision until I am faced with it. So, please stick to topic and don't bash if someone mentions taking a sow with or without knowing she had cubs. Just looking for opinions regarding cub survival.

truth is age of the cub and its health are gonna be the determining factor the older the cub the better survival rate in general a whole lot of other stuff comes into play but learning the rough size to age might ease your mind a little....

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 12:51:12 PM »
How so?

I guess I'm just excited to be out hunting, looking for that first bear. I am all for conservation, habitat renewal, good stewardship, and the like. However, when faced with a legal animal I will be tempted to take it. I like to think I have the discipline to not shoot a sow without some effort spent to make sure there are no cubs but....I am sure the temptation will be there when faced with my first shooter bear.
not questioning your values or saying either choice is right or wrong. I haven't shot a bear yet either, this is my first year really going after them specifically, and I made the decision already. No doubts. I don't have an ounce of risk of temptation. If we're talkin small buck vs holding out for big buck then I understand temptation, but in this case I just don't get it. Just me I guess.  :dunno:
RMEF

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 01:05:29 PM »
Very low odds for the first year without a mother.  Dont do it please.  Take a picture or something.  It is not like the little cub will go lay down and die a peaceful death, it will suffer for days/weeks before it either starves or is torn to pieces by another predator. 

Even after the first year a juvenile bear that is very hungry can be REALLY dangerous.  You could be putting other people at risk.

I know that it happens, most of the time accidentally, (I hope) but we should try our hardest to make sure that we dont take a sow with cubs.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 01:05:47 PM »
No worries. I just know me and it will be tough to pass. Especially if it is a big sow. However, I think I would feel good about the decision (to pass) afterwards. I've never felt bad about passing on a shot at a deer that I thought was low percentage.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »
Kain, very good points. I hate to think of any anmial out there suffering needlessly. Also, a hungy cub/person interaction could be very bad.

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 01:07:18 PM »
On  the 4 different occasions that i have come across a mother with cubs the cubs have always emerged from the tree line or brush first with the mother at the rear everytime. This may be purely coincedental but maybe they tend to be out in front when grazing or more specifically not traveling to a specific location that the mother has in mind.  I've seen sows with a cub weighing greater than 60 lbs, which typically indicates the cub is over the age of 6 months old, they appear completely non agressive  when the cubs are this age. This leads me to believe they are in the process of trying to seperate from the cub. Cubs are dependnant on the sows breast milk for 30 weeks and typically reach full independence by 16 - 18 months.

These are just my observations and opinions and in no way am i trying to come off like an expert. i wouldnt hesitate to shoot a sow with last years cub for sure.
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Be come one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

One moment you're flying south for the winter, then - BANG - gravy.

Offline Hunter Dug

• Longhunter
  • Owner: S&D Skull Works
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 01:48:06 PM »
Cubs can stay with there mothers for up to 2 years.  With that being said this years cubs could be any were from large raccoon size to 40 pounds depending on when they dropped.  These sized bears will have very little chance of survival, and will probably be eating my garbage, or a camp ground garbage near you.  Just like any other situation just use your head if you are ethical you will make the right decision. Be patient and let the situation unfold a little longer that usual. :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]