collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: average hunter safety age  (Read 22102 times)

Offline wiremonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA Life Member
average hunter safety age
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:08:57 PM »
Just trying to get a feel for what age might be appropriate to start kids in hunter safety. Obviously it ultimately depends on the kid, but is 8yrs too young or is 10yrs of age worth waiting for?

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
Re: average hunter safety age
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 12:16:06 PM »
I was 11 and thats what I'm going with with my kids if they prove they are ready
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline huntinhick

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »
Well that one is hard to say.  I took my oldest daughter at 11 and she did fine,  my oldest son I plan on taking at 10 just because I will nto be able to take him any sooner my next boy I am not sure about, he is a beast of a totaly different nature we might have to wait until 11 or 12 before he can go.  when I took my daughter there were kids from 6 all the way up.  one little six year old girl kicked butt on everythign except the shotgun. so I guess what I am saying is you know your kids best and if you think they are up to it the should be.  they do have to be able to read, write, take some notes and be able to pass a writen test by them selves.  

Offline chrisb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »
Made my kids wait until they were 12. That way they could take the class w/o me being there and so they would be a little more mature to handle the seriousness of it.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »
My son is exceptionally gifted academically and pretty mature for his age.  he took it right after he turned 9 and passed, but not with a very high score, and with the advantage of an ex-WDFW game biologist attending with him and helping him study.  All of the 8 and unders in his class didn't pass, and I think he was the only 9 year old (excellent, but hardcore instructor, who only passes students who actually PASS) to pass.  Most of the 10-12 year olds passed, at least as well as the adult students, so i think 10-11 is a good age, but some exceptional 8-9 year olds can pass (and some instructors pass young kids who maybe did not REALLY pass ...)
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline wiremonkey

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 02:08:50 PM »
this is all great, thanks for the input. i couldnt for the life of me remember when i went through. my son is 6 now and will have a couple of years to prove himself able to go by age 10.

Offline br8kitoff

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 02:13:06 PM »
My 16 and 17 y/o took it when they were 12, they were more involved with other sports when they were younger.  My 10 y/o boy took it last year and did fine, he's been wanting to go hunting with me since his older siblings started and he is just really into being outdoors moreso than all the kids.  His younger brother who is 9 now still isn't ready.  You just need to know your child and the rest is self explanitory.  Washington is unique in the fact that there is no minimum age.  States like Montana you can't hunt until your 12.
We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
IAFF Local 2819

Offline Little Dave

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 02:49:20 PM »
My oldest son passed the class at age 8.  If we took the class, my second oldest could pass the written test at age 7 but he's not ready to handle a gun.  My 4-year-old son enjoys shooting the 22 but is not ready to take the written test or handle higher caliber rifles yet.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 03:04:57 PM »
My kids will take it as soon as they are able to read/comprehend, and I will be along to help them myself. (although they will take the test themselves)
I put more responsibility on myself than the instructors to teach them safety and common sense,
I have heard of (and met) too many "graduates" of the program that IMO still have no business handling a dangerous weapon.
And due to the fact that they (my kids) will be under my direct supervision for many seasons, see passing the course merely a formality.
I do not believe that it is anybody elses job to teach my children the proper ways to handle dangerous weapons, or to behave in a safe and responsible manner.
 :twocents:
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 04:30:24 PM »
Mine took it at 7 1/2 and passed it legitimately.  He was 85lbs at that age though and has lived around hard core hunters since he was 3.  My dad and brother had him well trained by the time he took the course.  Honestly, outside of the shooting, I think he could have passed at 6.  Not only depends on the maturity of the kid but, how well he's been trained.  I swear that, my oldest knows more about hunting than a lot of people that do it every year.

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »
We've had them as young as 7 or 8.  It's best if they can hold a gun up for the hands on test.  Ten - twelve is a good age but if you want them out there and they can shoot one of your guns comfortably now then send them in.  If they fail they've had a practice run.  We usually have very few who fail and do our best to help them pass.  Not having supportive perental help with a bad attitude is a sure way to flunk it.  If a child passes and has no good support in the field it doesn't work either.  It is esier to start a kid out shooting deer or turkey cause they don't hav to swing through to shoot. Upland birds are the hardest because there is alot more room for error.  Most start at twelve but we see alot of young adults that have never taken the course.  Good luck with your child.

Offline Old Dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 05:42:42 PM »
My kids will take it as soon as they are able to read/comprehend, and I will be along to help them myself. (although they will take the test themselves)
I put more responsibility on myself than the instructors to teach them safety and common sense,
I have heard of (and met) too many "graduates" of the program that IMO still have no business handling a dangerous weapon.
And due to the fact that they (my kids) will be under my direct supervision for many seasons, see passing the course merely a formality.
I do not believe that it is anybody elses job to teach my children the proper ways to handle dangerous weapons, or to behave in a safe and responsible manner.
 :twocents:
I've been an instructor for 13 years, and I agree.  However if a child does not have that kind of support they should wait until they are older :twocents:
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline runningboard

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 06:59:17 PM »
Had one 8 year old pass and in past while working with another team had one 7 year old pass, but as mentioned by others she had alot of good at home instruction before coming in. had one 7 year old pass the written but couldn't shoot due to size and had one 10 year old who just couldn't hold a firearm for very long (too weak).
last class all passed all sections of written, two 10 year-olds and two 11 year-olds in that class.
says right in my opening night slideshow if they can't sit still, pay attention, and behave themselves, please wait until they ready to before bringing them. had one kid, smart as a whip. passed written with ease but had hard time with his behavior, still wanting to run and play graba$$, for sure I'd not wanna be in same woods if he had loaded firearm.
In my classes, they tend to fail themselves by not paying attention and end up muzzling someone on range day, not loaded, field course portion.
all that being said, I disagree with folks who bring them in too early and they end up heartbroken 'cause they failed. in some cases they don't want to return. had one in my last class who took it 3 times prior 'cause he wasn't ready to shoot & his parents kept sending him, he did well, but he was 13.
parents aren't allowed to speak in test room, students are separated, so no peeking. all take test themselves. if your kid passes my class, THEY PASS IT, not the parents or whoever else brings them. also don't believe in passing "close enough" youngsters. yes or no only.
Romans 14:2 he who eats only vegetables is weak
Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »
I was 28 and loved the class!

Offline arrowflinger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ChasingWildCreatures
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 10:19:58 AM »
I have been help out as an instructor. Must of the younger/small class members (8-10yrs) are weak to carry a gun throught the field course and end up failing. I haven't run across one that has failed the test.
During our test, parents are sent outside of the building. They are not allowed to walk the course with their kids either. I also can't believe how many kids are sent throught the course that have never shot a gun......

Just some of the things I have seen and there isn't anything wrong with them taking the class again. I believe you can learn alot in the class.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal