collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: average hunter safety age  (Read 22096 times)

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
Re: average hunter safety age
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2010, 09:46:47 AM »
I had been tagging along with my Dad since I was 4yrs old. When I turned 9, he told me he would buy me a shot gun if I passed. I took the class at the National Guard Armory in Snohomish. I think it was 4 nights. I ended up only missing one question on the test, and I out shot everyone else in the class. The next day I went and got my jacket. Dad asked me where I was going. I told him to get his as we were going to get my shot gun.  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Reminds me of something that happened right after PathfinderJR passed his test.  He was out playing in the neighbor's yard with a few other kids, and it was starting to get dark.  One of the other neighbors pulled up in his truck and told the boys that he had spotted a cougar in the area, and that they should probably get inside before it got dark.  All the other kids went home.  My wife caught PathfinderJR trying to reach the key to the gun cabinet... :chuckle: :chuckle:

"...but Mom...I've got a cougar tag... :dunno:"
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »
My sons passed at 7 and 10 - I took the 7 y/o along because I was already gonna be there with the 10 y/o.

The instructors were up front about not providing ANY additional help to younger students, but that was no problem for my 7 y/o.   He passed the written test easily and he passed the safe handling test easily (my kids carry an unloaded bb gun when we hunt from when they are about 4, to help teach them muzzle control).

Having said that, my 10 year old was ready to hunt safely and my 7 y/o wasn't.    He didn't carry until he was 10.   And even then we start out very conservatively with young hunters (If they carry, I follow along without a weapon so I don't have any expectations except to help them learn to hunt).

Someone said earlier that only YOU know when your kid is ready.   Amen to that one. 
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline PathfinderJR

• Tracker
  • If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2010, 12:31:01 PM »
I took it when I was 9. My dad(Pathfinder101) is a hunter safety instructor, so he got a hunter safety booklet, handed it to me one night, and told me to read a page(to see if I even knew what I was reading). I read it fine, so he let me take it. I got like a 96% on the test. Now I am 11, and I still love hunting. :) :) :)

Offline HOYT6.0

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »
My kids will take it as soon as they are able to read/comprehend, and I will be along to help them myself. (although they will take the test themselves)
I put more responsibility on myself than the instructors to teach them safety and common sense,
I have heard of (and met) too many "graduates" of the program that IMO still have no business handling a dangerous weapon.
And due to the fact that they (my kids) will be under my direct supervision for many seasons, see passing the course merely a formality.
I do not believe that it is anybody elses job to teach my children the proper ways to handle dangerous weapons, or to behave in a safe and responsible manner.
 :twocents:

You took the words out of my mouth.  My oldest is 5 this year. He will be going with me on my elk archery/deer hunt this year.  I want him to learn the woods and ethics of hunting before he puts a weapon of any sort in his hands.   IMO thats my responsibility as a father.

Offline mackdj

• Pilgrim
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
I passed with about 90% when i was 6 yrs old and was told i was the youngest in the state of Washington at the time. I still remember how seriously i took the training and how well i displayed proper safety when hunting at such a young age. I also had a lot of home instruction since i was about 3 and was never allowed to have a "toy gun" since we were taught guns were NOT toys and were to be treated with care and safety.

I do think it depends a lot on the person and the level at which they are able to perform safe hunting and gun handling. I also think it never hurts to take a refresher course later on if you start as young as i did.  :twocents:

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2011, 09:00:49 PM »
i think the refresher coarse isnt a bad idea, but if you keep them involved and around hunting and or guns and keep the information coming they will do great.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2011, 05:57:30 PM »
I have 5 daughters started them at ages 8 and 9. No problem passing.

Offline marty

• Hunter
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 06:08:27 PM »
My daughter was 9 and my son just passed in march at 8 neither had any trouble. Their mother and I really kept on them about studying. I think if the parents are willing to help them they shouldn't have any trouble.

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2011, 10:57:08 AM »
Get them in there as soon as they are able to pass the course.  They don't necessarily have to start hunting that same year, but you can then start building them points.  Some of my favorite hunts to this day were youth tags that I drew!

Offline .54 THUNDERHAWK

• Tracker
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2011, 12:03:10 PM »
My 9 yr old son just took the course and passed....he's all jacked up now

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 12:14:10 PM »
MY DAD MADE MA WAIT TILL I WAS 12 BUT I HUNTED WITH HIM SINCE I WAS 5, oops caps was on... my son took it at 8 but i didnt let him hunt until he was 10 and he only got to hunt grouse and he started huntn deer at 11 and has now whacked a couple bucks, but the reason i put him through hunter ed so young was to start building points, but like others have stated only you know when your kid is ready, my dad also didnt let my little bro hunt until he was 15 and even then he was never out of my dads sight. i was able to hunt on my own the year i got my hunter ed card. good luck to ya sir
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline rebal69972

• Longhunter
  • wfw
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2011, 01:06:54 PM »
i too mine when i was 11 or 12. 4 of my kids took theres  in may this year and did great all scored very well 12 son 11, 10, 9 daughters. my 10 y/o daughter seem alittle scared of the shot gun but done ok
I'm your huckleberry

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »
My wife, and kids all took hunter ed at the same time my son was 9, daughter was 11 both did fine the folks at Paul Bunyan in Puyallup run a great program.  That is my sons first deer shot the second day of his first season in my avatar the shot was over 200 yds he did great though I will say he wouldnt have been ready any younger.

Offline BENCHLEG

• Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2011, 01:30:26 AM »
my 8 yr old daughter passed, but she will not hunt until she can prove to me that she is a good shot time will tell. practice makes perfect and she will achieve that before we hunt. :twocents: she passed june 25 th 2011 and if it takes until 2014  before she carrys a firearm that is ok for me. she is good now but we want this to to be a good start to fun times. j

Offline pat riotic

• Scout
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2011, 09:21:20 AM »
i was 11  :twocents:
Made In America and Born to Hunt!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias