collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lions & Dogs  (Read 10911 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Lions & Dogs
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »
Morons used a photo of a bobcat for a lion story.  Other then that the really good news is they are opening up the whole state!!

http://www.komotv.com/news/local/16647776.html
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline DeKuma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Lions & Dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »
Cool.  Doesn't affect me as I do not run dogs, but it is great news for those of you that do!
- Scott

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »
Maybe their next step will be to have a pilot program for baiting bears. So, do you have to get drawn for a chance to run your dogs on big cats or is this just more for damage control statewide?

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 10:49:24 PM »
What other counties do you think will take part?  I doubt many will other than the already 5 county area.  Seems like it is just based off of counties with prior cougar complaints and public safety concerns, so possibly a few of the west side counties?

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 06:59:45 AM »
What other counties do you think will take part?  I doubt many will other than the already 5 county area.  Seems like it is just based off of counties with prior cougar complaints and public safety concerns, so possibly a few of the west side counties?

I would not be surprised if Thurston County took part. We have lots of cougars and lots of urban growth. Maybe the eastern portions of Pierce, King and Snohomish.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:37:52 AM »

I would not be surprised if Thurston County took part. We have lots of cougars and lots of urban growth. Maybe the eastern portions of Pierce, King and Snohomish.
But I don't think the majority of the population realizes there are that many in TC, so who knows if they will take part. I did just deploy my trail camera to try and get some proof though.  :chuckle:

Offline HoundGirl

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 01:27:11 PM »
My understanding is they are opening it to ALL counties in WA. And who ever said something about baiting bears... not even close to the same thing.

Offline RubblesPH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »
Anyone hear any new rumors about opening up other counties in WA?  I think the application period opens in August....right?

Rubbles

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 11:37:57 PM »
Well whens the draw, I need a lifesize long tail for my Taxidermy display.. Havent got drawn yet for the eastside, maybee I have a chance now.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 07:42:23 AM »
Any chance they are going open it to more than just the few whom have and own dogs?  I know Machias, you and I discussed this last year as well.  I still can't say I agree with it only being open for the poeple who own dogs, I understand it, but can't say I agree with it.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline provider

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 09:31:14 AM »
It looks like it is finally getting changed so all have equal opportunity to apply...   not just those who own hounds.
"A greater appreciation for the outdoors and the hunting experience."

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 09:58:10 AM »
I found it interesting that the article worked in the wording "that the big cats' population is declining".  They did say it was according to animals rights activists but it goes back to the whole thing that people believe what they read.  So every bunny hugger in Seattle is now convinced that cougars are on the decline when the reality is that the population is at worse stable in most places and certainly expanding in others. 

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 11:09:59 AM »
 There's a study now that the WDFW is pushing to say that the hound hunters are killing all the mature animals and causing disorder in the population.  Total BS.  I'm not sure that one biologists opinion is a good starting point for season setting.  The harvest stats are pretty clear that boot hunters kill as many lions in the hound units as the hound guys.  they also kill nearly equal #'s of males/females...WTF?

Offline RubblesPH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 03:50:16 PM »
I sure hope they open up some areas in the Blues. 

I also agree with bearmanric...I hope they don't open it up or everyone.  My personal belief is that there will be a lot of guys without dogs that will put in and anticipate that they can get someone to run their hounds for them because they drew a tag and the hound owners just want to run their dogs....."I'm really just doing the houndsman a favor by letting them run their dogs for me."  If you don't have hounds or have a 100% guarantee that you'll be able to run someone else's dogs, your probably taking that opportunity away from a deserving houndsman.  :twocents:

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 05:18:52 PM »
when they do bear damage you have to own the hound's. the blue's has to many Kittie's. been there.Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal