collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Talk about my rookie mistake!  (Read 8865 times)

Offline pat riotic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Talk about my rookie mistake!
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:18:23 PM »

I am fifteen years old and this summer i decided that it would be cool to try out archery deer instead of rifle deer. I thought it would be great and that i would bag the big buck on day one  . the guy i hunt with said that it wouldnt be easy, but stubborn me took the challenge and decided i was going to get that buck. during the summer we set up our trail cams and to our surprise we had six great shooter bucks coming in  i was so excited and knew i would get one of them!
      A week prior to opening day the deer werent coming in as much so i lost some cofidence but i knew i would get my buck in the first week. september 1st rolled around and we were in our stand not even an hour before the buck comes in, and of course im half asleep and am not ready what so ever. The buck is like 9 yards away and i have a slight chance to get my bow and take aim. i have my bow in hand and i nock my arrow, my buddy says my arrow looks weird but i say thats how ive always nocked it and so i begin to pull back and my arm hits some branches that i didnt clear !! So i pull back again and again and again for a total of four times and of course the deer knows somthings up and slowly walkes about 10 yards away and i pull back again,finnally, sucsessfull i am aiming down the sight, the deer is still i am aiming it the right place and i am aiming with the correct pin for the distance i let the arrow fly and it goes strait into the stinking ground and i miss by 8 feet easily!!!  at first i thought i hit him because he jumped and i thought he was just around the corner dead on the ground but NO we get off the stand and we dont see him, the arrow, or blood so we begin searching and after ten minutes i find the arrow and i am so mad to see it without blood and so far from the spot i thought it would be at.
       at this point i am upset and discouraged and have no ideal why i missed so we went to go shoot my bows and my buddy sees me nock the arrow and says that i nocked it wrong which i did. i dont know what i was thinking  but i have learned that there is no margin for error when bow hunting.     
Made In America and Born to Hunt!

Offline madmack76

• Longhunter
Re: Talk about my rookie mistake!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:48:23 PM »
therse no margin of error for any type of hunting
hey anybody got a towel, i just hit a waterbuffalo

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:03:13 PM »
Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep it up. It will come.

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 07:34:15 PM »
Tip #2. Remove or don't hunt with a front shirt pocket. Your string might get caught on the corner  :)  Don't worry about it, it's part of the learning process.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 09:56:58 AM »
Did the same thing the first time I knocked my first arrow. The problem for me was that there were a ton of people around and they watched with a smile while I zinged the first one right into the ground. Sounds like you are way ahead of me with a shot op right out of the gate. Keep at it and good luck. I got my first archery kill this year and I've got a few years on you. Check out my floppy eared slick head in the deer section.

Offline pat riotic

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 03:54:42 PM »
therse no margin of error for any type of hunting
True dat but more when bow hunting i think? :P
Made In America and Born to Hunt!

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 09:12:12 PM »
My Elk stepped out from behind the tree just 10 yards away from my stand. I said "I have this one!"
When the arrow hit the ground just short of the Elk...I just stared in disbelief.  :yike:
 Found out later, I was so excited when I let fly, Both my eyes were wide open (I normally shoot with just one eye open).
 Later practicing on the Range and it did the same thing, falling just short of the Target.  :dunno:
Live and learn.  ;)
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 09:17:59 PM »
You'll find yourself doing lots of dumb stuff in hindsight. Every hunt is a learning experience, just try your darndest not to make the same mistake twice. I missed a deer at about fifteen yards this year with a rifle so I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 10:23:50 PM »
No need to be hard on yourself. It’s a learning process through it all. Everyone does something at some point that we can look back and say what was I doing or thinking. I still have mishaps and still learn. Even with many years and animals under my belt. Including a world record and a couple top ten in the world animals with a bow and a top 3 Washington animal with a bow. We are all still learning.

I shoot 4 fletch arrows for a reason I don’t ever have to look or pay any attention to what way my odd vane is facing. In a hurry to reload I have knocked it wrong in my young days and had arrows go astray. I’ve gotten frustrated with myself to but it doesn’t help anything. Stay focused if you got mentors listen. YouTube now days is a huge help with so many things. Lots of members here are very accomplished archers and hunters. Always happy to help and a youth with a good positive attitude will always find good help and info.

Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2022, 10:43:53 PM »
you should never be nocking a arrow when in the stand...unnecessary movement.I would say over 70% of the bucks I killed from a stand woulda never been killed if I was nocking a arrow when they come in

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 06:31:38 AM »
you should never be nocking a arrow when in the stand...unnecessary movement.I would say over 70% of the bucks I killed from a stand woulda never been killed if I was nocking a arrow when they come in
Agree, and after 12 years, I sure hope he's doing better!! lol
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2022, 06:36:07 AM »
@pat riotic   Been awhile, Bowes the bow hunting going.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline wannabhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 09:53:21 AM »
This is going to sound stupid, but did you use your peep? Buck fever gets the best of us. I made an awful shot on a bull in Idaho three years ago. My blood was pumping so hard that I found my pin and let my arrow fly. Wasn't looking through my peep. There's a little more to the story but the moral of it is shame on me. Watched my arrow fly low right and graze his back leg. Still makes me sick to my stomach. Take your time and make sure you are composed before pulling that trigger. Keep at it and good luck.
"PETA" People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 10:04:40 AM »
This reminds me of self 30yrs ago. And still learning!!!!!! :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Rutnbuxnbulls

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 12:25:01 PM »
This sport is humbling.  Doesn't matter what weapon type.  Just yesterday, I stalked into two bedded bucks.  Downwind, 25 yards, just need them to stand.  One is up, not legal.  The shooter then stands.  I draw, pin on the spot, let er fly, and.....WHACK! The arrow hit a branch I didn't see. 
I learned from that one.  If I had more patience he probably would have stepped and gotten into a good clear shooting lane.  Kicking myself today won't help much.  I've got to get back on the horse and get after another buck!  Attitude is everything.
I agree with huntnw on the stand stuff.  I'll typically get into stand and knock an arrow, then hang the bow from a trimmed branch or screw in ladder rack/bow rack.  That way when Mr. Big comes by one less step to getting drawn back.  Also, clear out and practice drawing the bow several times before the deer are on their feet.  All good lessons we all learned the hard way!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]