collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which 2 Way Radio and why?  (Read 7533 times)

Offline hangumhi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Which 2 Way Radio and why?
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:29:25 PM »
I've been looking for a new set of radios.  Right now I have three handheld Motorolas that have 5 mile range but really that equates to .5 miles if you're lucky.  I've seen these 25 mile radios and was wondering if anyone can give me advice on them if you've seen them in action.  Thanks

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Which 2 Way Radio and why?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 09:49:22 PM »
FWIW, I have tried several and always go back to these. I now have picked up 5 total on Ebay. I dont know why they ever stopped making these, they are the strongest I've ever used. We use them hunting, fishing, hiking, boating and on our car rally's. All the guys in the cars say I come over loud and clear compared to everyone else using those little ones. One bonus for not making them anymore is they are getting cheap on Ebay. Anyhow just my $.02.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-Talkabout-Distance-DPS-Two-Way-with-Mic-extras_W0QQitemZ110235903814QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20383QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 09:53:31 PM »
I have no problem with the Rino by Garmin it has a great range (up to 16 miles) and is a GPS that tracks your buddies movements as well.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline LongTatLaw

• Suckling Slayer!
  • Sourdough
  • My 2009 West WA - Shotgun kitty Kat
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 10:51:39 PM »
We use a HARRISON bran radio at work and Ill see where one can buy one on the civilian market... friday I left mine turned on and I was talking to people near the town of Rainier when I was at exit 134 on I5 North of the Tacoma Mall. But they probably are expensive!

M-Ray, dont suppose you know how to fix my Rhino 120 that suddenly stopped working for no reason? It was ok before it died!

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 10:58:39 PM »
mmm Not really I have the 530 chx but I can tell you that if you call Garmin they have an awesome warranty replacement department. A few years ago I left my gps on tmikes rig when he pulled out it went flying down the highway  :DOH: anyway it still worked but the back was broken well they sent me a cord for free to transfer all my data to my computer so when I bought a new one I would still have all my previous waypoints.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 11:32:54 PM »
I have been using these cobras for the past couple years:

http://www.cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=275&category_ID=29

They work okay, it is just like cell phones though if you get down into a hole it can be hard to hear or talk to someone on them. They are small and can be silenced which is nice, but if the battery goes dead and you don't have an outlet to plug them into recharge you are out of luck for you radio for the rest of your hunt or what ever you are using them for. The batteries will last around 24 hours. Try to get some radios that use AA batteries so you can bring some extras in case they go dead.

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 06:19:06 AM »
my vote is the garmin rhino 120. The perfect amount of features for the money.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 06:22:57 AM »
I still use the 30-06.  One shot means I have killed something.  X amount of shots in a particular order means it got me before I killed it, or its dark and I can't find my way out. :)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 06:23:49 AM »
these trad bows don't work quite as effective, but where I am at, no one will hear me anyway.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 06:32:33 AM »
Motorola elcheapo's.  I leave one on in the rig, always charging, then trade it out with the one from my hiking gear when I hit the trail. this way I always leave the road with a topped off unit.

I also like the elcheapo's., because I have had to lend one to someone in our camp on more than one occasion, because they showed up to camp and forgot to bring theirs...  >:(

Regarding range..., the steep country we usually hunt in... seems like everyone loses the ability to receive when you are in a deep canyon anyway...  Are some of your better radios actually pulling in signals when other radios are dropping out?
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 07:41:58 AM »
Regarding range..., the steep country we usually hunt in... seems like everyone loses the ability to receive when you are in a deep canyon anyway...  Are some of your better radios actually pulling in signals when other radios are dropping out?

Good question, do the expensive radios like the garmin rhinos work better than the motorolas or cobras that you can get for cheap? If so it might be worth it to throw down on some more of the expensive units.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »
I would go with the Garmin Rino.  I would also spend the extra money and get the 520 or 530 because of the extended range.  I upgraded from the 120 because it wouldnt go more than a mile in the ruff stuff.  The mapping feature is sweet.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 06:23:48 PM »
Regarding range..., the steep country we usually hunt in... seems like everyone loses the ability to receive when you are in a deep canyon anyway...  Are some of your better radios actually pulling in signals when other radios are dropping out?

Those Talkabout DPS have worked better than anything I have used. I would have to look at the power rating on them but we can communicate with each other when friends with different units have long disappeared. They tell us that they were able to hear us calling them but we couldn't hear them replying, even though we could hear each other.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 10:47:46 PM »
Thanks. I need to start breaking some gear up, so I can justify replacing it....  :chuckle:

Maybe start letting the kids play with the radios at school or a sleep over or something... Look honey what the kids did, they broke my stuff... :'(
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 11:28:09 PM »
Thanks. I need to start breaking some gear up, so I can justify replacing it....  :chuckle:

Okay folks I have an idea, I know stop laughing :chuckle:  With as many people on here questions like this can easily be answered if we have some volunteers that are willing to give honest opinions and not be biased by outside influences. What I propose is the next time a question like this comes up, how about some of us volunteer the gear we have to be checked out by others out in the field. Seems a no brainer to me, I have loads of gear I'm betting others would love to check out before buying, and I know everyone on here has other gear that can be compared to. Obviously we don't know each other personally and apprehension of loaning out big dollar items is understandable but I have to believe there are trustworthy folks on here that would be more than willing to help out and make this a positive opportunity. I'm not claiming to have all the answers, as I know there will be loads of questions, but collectively we should be able to come up with a decent plan. Let me know what you think, am I being naive to believe I can trust others with a $2000.00 spotter or binos? Maybe so but I choose to believe there are a load of good people on here that would appreciate the opportunity to compare products in the field before dumping a load of cash. :bdid:?????

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]