collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Glacier Peak Wilderness High Buck  (Read 125715 times)

Offline Everett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Glacier Peak Wilderness High Buck
« on: December 25, 2010, 09:10:07 PM »
I was wondering if someone could tell me how cramped it was up in the Glacier Peak Wilderness for High Buck this year?

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Glacier Peak Wilderness High Buck
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:42:02 PM »
From the Chiwawa side it was pretty full, but expected for that area.  Little Giant Pass had 20+ trucks parked around the trailhead the night before the opener, and most of the campsites towards the end of the road were occupied.  There were 3 horse trailers parked at Trinity IIRC.   Saw about the same 4 days later on the drive out.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline haugenna

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:46:13 PM »
From the Chiwawa side it was pretty full, but expected for that area.  Little Giant Pass had 20+ trucks parked around the trailhead the night before the opener, and most of the campsites towards the end of the road were occupied.  There were 3 horse trailers parked at Trinity IIRC.   Saw about the same 4 days later on the drive out.

:yeah:

Very packed.  I heard one of the trail heads had 50 cars at it.  That was with bad weather.  When the sun is out it is worse.

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »
I saw people in spots this year where I have never seen people before. One basin that I hunt had 2 guys camped right in the middle of it. Lots of gun fire on opening morning too. This hunt gets more popular by the year I think.

Dont you just love when that happens, happened to me this year elk hunting, people camping right where the elk cross.   :mor:

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 10:50:04 AM »
Do the folks at Trinity hike in a camp somewhere up there, or cross and hunt from the trail head?

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 05:56:36 PM »
If they were smart they would hike in far enough to get past the drop camps, and still expect some company.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
The Trinity trailhead gets a fair amout of horse hunters. Alot go up to Buck Creek pass and camp there hunting out of there. Drop camps go in White River and over Boulder Pass. There is plenty of hunters in there for sure. Funny when you say hike in past the drop camps as I know some drops camps further than a guy can hike on a good day.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline ser300wsm

• Sourdough
  • A man has got to know his limitations !!!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 06:28:33 PM »
The Trinity trailhead gets a fair amout of horse hunters. Alot go up to Buck Creek pass and camp there hunting out of there. Drop camps go in White River and over Boulder Pass. There is plenty of hunters in there for sure. Funny when you say hike in past the drop camps as I know some drops camps further than a guy can hike on a good day.
  :rolleyes:

Offline haugenna

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 07:35:15 PM »
Hiking in past the drop camps at Trinity will be a long day. An even longer day if you drop a deer in 90 degree weather back there.  More power to you if you can do it.  Nice country back in there.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 11:31:51 PM »
This hunt gets more popular by the year I think.

Lot of truth to that statement, it is pretty sad what it has become in recent years, anywhere on the eastern glacier peak is going to be hammered with people, the crowds are WORSE than during the general season becuase everyone is so concentrated.  Anymore its more of a camping trip than a quality hunting experience like it used to be back in the day. 

Pretty soon the western areas will start getting hammered as well. 

Offline Shed Stud

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 08:48:56 AM »
Thanks to the outfitters it's real crowded up gods country. Anybody with money can get packed in where they shouldn't be. The only thing those guys outfit are the woods with people.
Do the folks at Trinity hike in a camp somewhere up there, or cross and hunt from the trail head?
The people who own and run trinity don't hunt, and there is a good chunk of private right there. Most of the trucks at the end of the road parking lot take off north up phelps some south. There were a estimated 2000 people in the glacier this fall and what.... 12 bucks taken. It used to be good hunting...just a camping trip with a gun. If you leave your rifle you can carry more beer! :chuckle:

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 03:45:05 PM »
Thanks to the outfitters it's real crowded up gods country. Anybody with money can get packed in where they shouldn't be. The only thing those guys outfit are the woods with people.
The people who own and run trinity don't hunt, and there is a good chunk of private right there. Most of the trucks at the end of the road parking lot take off north up phelps some south. There were a estimated 2000 people in the glacier this fall and what.... 12 bucks taken. It used to be good hunting...just a camping trip with a gun. If you leave your rifle you can carry more beer! :chuckle:
Then you'll have to throw rocks at the cans  :bash: :bash:  :chuckle:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline Bobm

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 06:45:28 AM »
It was horrible up there.

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 10:49:24 AM »
I don't know what some of you are talking about.  We went up little giant and it was like a ghost town. 
I guessing it won't be like that next year  :bdid:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 10:59:59 AM »
Those granola's stole my waiders I used to get across the river. I had them hid good too.  I don't know why some one would steal them. :bash: :bash:.  They were watching me when I took them off.  I hid them good in the brush under a root ball. F#cker's
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal