collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shed Hunters  (Read 15733 times)

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Shed Hunters
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 09:04:06 AM »
There are a few valid points here.  
1. The deer around Wenatchee are dropping.  We have picked up three out by the hay pile already, a four point a small two point and a spike.  The four point is now bald but haven't found the other side yet.

2.  People should be limited as to a season.  I have seen way too much abuse of the animals in recent years.  Guys chasing the deer, whether on foot or on atv, and waiting for the deer to stop running then chasing them again trying to get them to bound off stiff legged and drop em.  Makes me want to put holes in their tires.  Wrong time of year to be harassing them.

3.  I have dropped a few dogs for chasing wildlife.  We have a really bad problem in our area due to the orchards.  Every year (and I know this for a fact as I have seen it every year so don't jump all over me for saying this) we have migrant workers who come up for the picking season and get a cute little puppy.  In the winter they go back to Mexico and leave the dog here with no access to food so they chase wildlife and go wild.

Also as a reminder to everybody, if you have dogs and you love your dogs, keep em locked up.  Especially hunting dogs.  I have now seen on two different occasions two nice black labs with orange collars chasing deer.  If they didn't have collars they would have been dropped.  The second time I saw them I fired a warning shot but hunting dogs are accustomed to hearing gunfire and it did not phase them.  I chased them off as far as I could but who knows if they will be back.  Three strikes and your out.  The next time I see them chasing deer down they might get put to sleep.  I know there are a lot of guys out there that are like me so keep your dogs home people.  The areas I am seeing these dogs is well over 2 miles from a residence, it is not somebody's back yard.

My  :twocents:
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 09:18:27 AM »
I feel the same way
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Antlerking

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 03:20:59 PM »
My lab is my shed dog he does not chase deer and he does and will go with me every time out, wich is 3-4 times a week!  Telling me to leave my dog home is crazy. Not only is he a shed dog he is my bud and I will never leave him home.  I now you are refering to stray labs that maybe got loose and is running around the hills. :)

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »
If they are supervised they are fine. As long as they don't Chase deer
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »
Seems to me with all the "unwritten laws" pertaining shed hunting being discussed, competition, do's and dont's and self claiming of particular areas I predict WSF&G will be looking into a "shed season" in the near future. And we all know what that would mean....$$$. More licensing!!
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 04:32:43 PM »
"...please wait."  Never used to be and never will be people who wait!

Shed Freak Frenzy is a direct result of the internet with all the ATL shed pics kindling the fire in the ordinary outdoors-man.  :twocents:  I've been a victim of the SFF. :chuckle:  I can laugh about it because I caught three guys (two occasions) in late March last year on my property stealing the sheds I had placed for landscaping within a stones throw of my house.  Yeah, ran right by my no trespassing signs, by my picnic table and bundled up as many sheds as their arms could hold.  They left without my sheds and a court date for theft 3rd and trespass 2nd.  About two months later all three plead guilty.

I've got something up my sleeve for this years shed season trespassers. 8)  I just need to find a way to video it :chuckle:           

"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." -Wyatt Earp

Offline shedcrazy

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 04:40:24 PM »
I take my dog with me as well, he doesn't chase deer either!! As far as "shed hunting" off of someone's porch, wtf??? Who steals sheds out of a yard? What a bunch of idiots!!

Offline Lowedog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »
There is something seriously wrong with someone who feels the need to trespass and steal someones antlers out of their landscape.  

I've got something up my sleeve for this years shed season trespassers. 8)  I just need to find a way to video it :chuckle:            

HCH, you can borrow my trailcam that shoots video if you want.  

I don't want to speak for Bearhunter99 but I believe he was referring to letting dogs run free as in from your home not saying don't take them shed hunting with you.  
"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »
I think some of these guys that are out everyday of the week for months might just need to get a job.  

Collecting unemployment and picking up sheds all week long.  I've meet several of them and it's hard to beat that crowd.

I don't like to borrow, but thanks!  And, I feel I would need to trailcam the trailcam!
"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." -Wyatt Earp

Offline shedcrazy

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 05:10:10 PM »
I think some of these guys that are out everyday of the week for months might just need to get a job.  

Collecting unemployment and picking up sheds all week long.  I've meet several of them and it's hard to beat that crowd.

I don't like to borrow, but thanks!  And, I feel I would need to trailcam the trailcam!

When you do concrete work and the ground is frozen, it's a perfect time to gather up those lonely old sheds :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 05:16:19 PM »
"When you do concrete work and the ground is frozen, it's a perfect time to gather up those lonely old sheds :chuckle:"

BS, you should be out pruning trees! :chuckle:  A friend works for a local asphalt company and does the same thing during winter!

Offline Lowedog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 05:24:06 PM »
Sometimes those pruners find the biggest sheds!! 
"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Offline mountainman1

• Hunter
  • Sometimes we all have a bad day
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 05:25:52 PM »
I reccon you guys know if the WDFW gets a hold of our shed hunting you just won't be able to pic any shed s up because they the enviros will want them all left for the squirls and mice....

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 05:32:39 PM »
the last thing this state needs is more damn licenses. I'll shed hunt all I want where I'm at. Just try and stop me. Found one today already.

Offline shedcrazy

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »
Why is everyone putting the negative crap out there of squirrel food, shed seasons, money to shed hunt? It's not like this state doesn't suck enough of our money!! Making mountains out of mole hills. No matter how many people want to shed hunt, you have to have an eye for it, be willing to hike up and down hills for miles, have a good mix of public and private access and know that your spots produce year after year!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal