collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Antelope Reintroduction to Washington  (Read 85149 times)

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
Re: Antelope Reintroduction to Washington
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »
All good man, I just wanted to clarify. Hopefully there is some more in the works, no matter who does it.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline wa.hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »
Blackridg...
How did it come about?? I guess through a vision that we could and would make it happen and staying with that vision and number one coming up with the MONEY. Money makes things happen as does dedicated hunters and conservationist. Put the 2 together and we can and do make things happen. There are 6 SCI chapters in this state we all have our own agendas. If you want to find out more I will be at the Seattle Sportsmen's Convention on Feb. 18th and 19th, 2011 in Bellevue, Wa. for info go to www.workingforwildlife.com I am Joe and they will know me there. I can get you signed up and involved. Yes we need help. You would not believe all that we do. We are very involved in Washingtonian's for Wildlife Conservation WWC, Hunter's Heritage Council HHC and Washington State Chapter of Wild Sheep Foundation. If you do not know who all of these organizations are shame on you all. They put in 100's and 1000's of hours working with WDFW and other groups to protect your rights. There are some great people on this site that I have used to help on projects. Wish I could recruit some more of your help and support. More money and more help you would be surprised what we could get done.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 08:06:17 PM by jackelope »

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
my comment was not directed at you.... I would imagine the only way they could do it is work with another tribe because the WDFW is so wrapped in RED tape.  :bash:

Typical scene with WDFW....question from public.....can we plant antelope?  Ah let me see says bio....talks with his manager  Someone wants to know if we can plant antelope.  Don't know...probably some tree hugger types would question it and may take us to court because they were not here before...and we have snails and butteries to protect at the moment.....so we don't have the means to study it for 30 years, let alone have people to do it then if feasible.  Ah ok.....getting back to public.....sorry...they won't work here.

Oversimplification yes....truth...yes.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2011, 01:03:10 PM »
Joe-
Any photos of the release that you can share?

Great job to all involved. Hopefully it works out for the best for the sportsmen of WA.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline wa.hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2011, 01:07:40 PM »
I also know the Yakima Tribe has put into place some pretty stiff penalties if any tribal or non-tribal member poach one of these animals. Were they indiginous to our state? Yes and with out their documented records this would not have happened, on or off tribal lands.

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
Kudos to them, i hope they thrive
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 01:11:30 PM »
If pronghorn ARE native to this state, and there is proof of that, then the WDFW SHOULD be working to re-establish pronghorn populations just as they are doing with wolves.   :bash:  You'd think they'd be all for it, considering the antelope would provide more food for the wolves.   :dunno:

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 01:32:48 PM »
I think this could be a great thing!  (Of course I don't own any alfalfa fields out around the Toppenish/Granger area).  

I agree the WDFW is wrapped in red tape.  However, as I recall, it wasn't all that difficult to obtain permission to introduce wild turkeys to the west side, I wouldn't think antelope would be that much different.  I know they have been here in Washington before.  I know a guy personally who claims to have been a witness to some being killed back in the '70's on the Yakima Firing Range, or should I say the Yakima Training Center as I think it's called now.

My main concern is; how will the hunting/management be regulated, and how will these animals be protected until they propagate enough for hunting?  We already know there are a few on the reservation that have absolutely no regard for any law.  They give the entire Yakima Nation a bad name, but the fact remains, they are there and they will continue to kill everything they can if they continue to get away with it.  Does this SCI/Yakima Nation partnership have any policies or means in place to deal with them?  If not, I think these animals will disappear quickly.  That would be a real shame as I know there are people who have volunteered countless hours of their time, and a LOT of money to make this happen.  If I remember correctly, I think the final cost of a wild turkey from Arkansas to be trapped, shipped, tagged and released in Western Washington was well over $1500.  I'm sure it costs way for an antelope.  Now multiply by 100.

I sincerely hope this works out.  Only time will tell.
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline wa.hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »
Josh,
I am not to good at posting pics. send me your pnone number and I will send you a pic off my cell phone. I filmed the whole event with the exception of the release which was done late at night as we did not want to keep them contained any longer than we need to and we did not want to stress them any more than neccessary with alot of flashes going off.

Offline wa.hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2011, 01:39:55 PM »
Bobcat good suggestion but it is the FEDS that are actually doing the wolf thing and the state has to obey to some degree. I ask the same question .... why are we not forcing them the FEDS to do this with the antelope and bison? We have ample Federal ground in this state.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2011, 01:42:23 PM »
Yes, I have also thought the same thing- if it is necessary to re-establish wolves in this state, why not bison?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »
Josh,
I am not to good at posting pics. send me your pnone number and I will send you a pic off my cell phone. I filmed the whole event with the exception of the release which was done late at night as we did not want to keep them contained any longer than we need to and we did not want to stress them any more than neccessary with alot of flashes going off.

PM sent
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2011, 01:53:06 PM »
I want to thank SCI for supporting this cause as they so often do.

I wonder if antelope or bison were native in Washington?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »
I want to thank SCI for supporting this cause as they so often do.

I wonder if antelope or bison were native in Washington?

yes both antelope and bison were native in washington
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 01:56:44 PM »
Good news! Glad to hear some good news for a change! Hope to be able to see them someday. I think 100 animals should do well and grow. Pennsylvania started with a small number of elk that scientist figured to be doomed due to inbreeding, but they are thriving there now! Lets hope the speed goats can do even better!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal