collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: ellensburg hunters??  (Read 2831 times)

Offline tomyknocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
ellensburg hunters??
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:04:20 PM »
I need some advise on where to go around e burg, ive been out the last two weekends trying to bow hunt but i cant find anything other than poop and track, too cold? i was hunting the east side of 97 near liberty cafee, please help>>

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
Re: ellensburg hunters??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:19:06 PM »
Not many that I know of towards Ellensburg.  There are a few bunches scattered throughout the Taneum and Lt murray wildlife area.  Liberty is a good place to hunt.  Up Cougar gulch and any of those lower forest service roads that split off from the main town of Liberty.  Cle Elum has quite a few birds now, but a lot more private ground.  Cle Elum ridge and up near lake cle elum are where i usually see quite a few when i'm out and about in the woods. 

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 08:32:51 PM »
Your best bet would probably be around liberty area, but I have seen flocks in the manastash on private land, cooke and coleman canyons have birds scattered through out, and up reecer creek there are some birds. There just aren't a whole lot of birds like you will see if you go to the NE around colville. There is a lot of country around eburg with not a whole lot of birds.

Offline Head-shot

• General Underachiever
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
I wouldn't waste you time around Cooke canyon, or anywhere around the Colockum for at least another week or so if the warm weather holds. I went a few weekends ago ant there were still LOTS of snow on the roads. Some places the drifts were 4-5 feet deep still. If you have a ride with lot of ground clearance and a wince you might be OK. Early in the morning was easy as all the snow was still frozen solid do you could drive over it with out much problems. At about 10:30  or so it ALL TURNS TO MUSH !!!! On the big piles once you break through the crust your done....start digging.
Even after all the BS trying to get up there LongTat and I neither heard nor saw any birds, and I know there in there. Just a tougher winter as we have seen in most spots.

I'll agree with rougheye on Cle Elum. It is loaded with birds, and they are hunted pretty hard. So if you can get back off the beaten path and hike a bit you could be in for quite a trip.

Hope this helps, Good luck
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or destroy it, piss on it and walk away!

Offline Rhinoron247

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:37:48 PM »
Hit the south facing benches above Swauk Prairie between 97 and the Teanaway.  There is a lot of private land but if your honest, respectful and ask,  the locals will let you hunt.  Have seen a lot of birds in there.  PM me and I will give you specifics

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal