collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Moose hunting questions  (Read 4929 times)

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
Moose hunting questions
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:21:04 AM »
So I've been looking at the new regs and I have a few questions regarding the units.  Do all the units essentially have 100% success rate?  What makes some units better than others?  I see that more than 10,000 people apply for 49 Degrees North and Selkirk units but only about 1800 apply for Hangman.  Is that because of quality of animals, or can it be hard to find a moose to shoot in the Hangman unit?  Thanks for any help.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
Re: Moose hunting questions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:02:29 PM »
You can look at the fish and game website and many of the years past drawings and successes. You will also see in there how many moose were seen(if the hunters reported it accurately). Most people put in for the areas where there is the most success and most moose seen thinking they have a better chance of getting drawn. Since most are 100% you got a excellent chance of getting a animal if drawn if you just put in the effort.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:04:37 PM »
Also units with more private land will have fewer applicants due to access issues.

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:24:15 PM »
So are there still areas to get a moose in the lower access level lands?  I'm assuming Hangman has more private land?  Would I still be able to find an area to get one if I were drawn there?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 12:54:11 PM »
also take in effect the amount of tags offered for how many people apply.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 01:24:23 PM »
I ended up getting 1 of the raffle tags last year and I hunted all the units in and around NE WA with the exception of the Hangman unit.  I'm sure there are decent quality animals in the unit but the access is going to be your biggest challenge.   Technically I think I actually live in the unit and I've seen some pretty nice bulls right in my yard.  That being said I'm not sure what if any public access is available in the unit.  You may wanna check w/ the F&G or do some research before you apply there.   

I can tell you this for sure... you will be able to fill your tag if you put in the effort in the other units.  Depending on what you're looking for, in respect to size, will determine to a large degree how hard/much you'll have to hunt. 

Offline Sagedawg

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »
 For the most part,acess is an issue. The biggest chunk of public land is Mica Peak , but you still need a permit from Inland Paper, and I think this year its 40 or 50 bucks.  :dunno: dont really know why you'd want to choose this hunt, because there not any moose at all on the hill........ :rolleyes:  good luck in the draw and let me know if I can help you out, Ive been up there a time or 2.

Sage

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »
Actually isn't Mica a seperate moose unit from Hangman?  Don't quote me on that.... but something sticks in my mind about that.

I only hunted Mica Pk. 1 day but I saw 3 cows and 1 pretty nice bull.  They were right at the top on the south side in the clear cut below the tower.  I believe more animals move in there later in the year.  With the Inland permit the access is pretty good.  There's quite a bit if land but it wouldn't be my first choice on a place to hunt.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 08:18:28 AM »
Actually isn't Mica a seperate moose unit from Hangman?  Don't quote me on that.... but something sticks in my mind about that.

Hangman is a moose permit area that includes two GMU's...Mica Peak and Cheney.

Offline Sagedawg

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:11:50 AM »
 Agreed Intruder, not my 1st choice as well. I perfer the Nothern units, and the biggest bull I have ever seen was living up in the Huckleberry unit. Howd you do on your hunt?

Sage

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 10:19:03 AM »
49 is the easiest to hunt in regards to land, oppurtunity, etc.   Biggest bulls to my knowledge are in the Selkirks.  You can kill a nice moose in any unit.  Selkirks are one of the hardest to hunt in regards to geography.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »
My tag allowed for me to hunt 1 month prior to everyone so I did a lot of calling.  Had several bulls come right into my lap.  Did quite a bit of glassing too.  Saw lots that way but no bruisers.... although I did see what looked like a really big 1 on Mt. Spokane but it was really too far to tell for sure.

Judging was a big problem for me at first.  They all look big.  Everyone you talk to says they saw a huge one up on X Mt or ABC creek.  When you check it out it's a 38 incher w/ no fronts and 8 in paddles.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »
Thats my quote....any moose looks big when they come out of the brush at 15 feet.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 01:54:25 PM »
Agreed Intruder, not my 1st choice as well. I perfer the Nothern units, and the biggest bull I have ever seen was living up in the Huckleberry unit. Howd you do on your hunt?
  Sage

Sorry... misread your post.  Thought you asked how did I hunt. 
I ended up shooting a nice bull in 49 up the Tacoma Cr drainage near Kalispel Pk.  Net on it was 159 and change.  There's some photos somewhere in the Other Big Game category. 

Offline bowelkin

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 09:24:11 AM »
Hi,
I had a Hangman unit either sex tag last year.  There is a lot of private land, if you have an atv to use you can see a lot of moose.  From what I saw a bull in the 30's is easy.  There are several much bigger, but you will probably have to put in a fair amount of time.  In the one relatively small area I hunted I would see at least 10 moose a day with half being bulls.  If you want more info I would be happy to help.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]