collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Washingtons 6 grains per pound of draw rule?  (Read 8177 times)

Offline JoeVon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Washingtons 6 grains per pound of draw rule?
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:52:51 PM »
What do you guys think of this rule?  Do you have trouble with it?  Do you like it?  Or is it pretty much a non-issue to you?  Thanks

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Washingtons 6 grains per pound of draw rule?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:05:36 PM »
I think that the rule is kind of a pain in the butt with todays bows and speeds... But - I dont' have an issue with making weight as my A/C superslims are plenty heavy enough.

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:27:10 PM »
it always confused me...i would add up all my wieghts according to charts and chit and it never added up right. then i would have the local shop tell me that im more then heavy enough. so yeah...i never know anymore lol

i just shoot what the shop tells me lol

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:54:39 AM »
I believe it is a little gray for most people.  One down side is that you have a 300 grain minimum.  In turn what that creates is if you have a kid or a woman that is only pulling 40# which is legal they have to shoot a damn log out there.  Todays arrows are so strong and they penetrate so well I believe we could get away from this and not be too bad off.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »
well i do know that 2 seasons ago i was shooting an arrows/broadhead combo that was 100gr lighter then i should have been. and i got horrible penetration on 2 elk and lost them both.

i went back to the shop and had my arrows checked and they were in fact way to light according to the regs.

so i baught new arrows and broadheads and notice after just 2 shots on my 3d target that i was getting MUCH better penetration...

its better shoot a little heavier and slower, the lighters and faster imo

Offline snohohunter

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 12:29:31 PM »
Hey Bankwalker...make sure you have those heavy arrows on you this year...I don't want to spend the entire day looking for your elk!!

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 01:09:14 PM »
Hey Bankwalker...make sure you have those heavy arrows on you this year...I don't want to spend the entire day looking for your elk!!

lmfao but what else are we gonna do for the rest of opening day after we both shoot elk with in an hour...

im using my recurve this year, im not gonna bother buying a new compound.

Offline snohohunter

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »
That's OK....after I take my elk, I'll let you use your old bow!  LOLOLOL   

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 01:16:54 PM »
No issue here.  I shoot a hoyt trykon xl set at 70lbs and it pushes a 480 grain arrow plenty fast.  My total arrow weight is 480 grains or about 6.85 grains per inch.  I have shot completely thru both elk thus far and they have died within sight.  I have calmed both down with calls immediately after shooting so that is part of it, but I am a fan of heavy arrow and lots of kinetic energy.
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 01:28:13 PM »
No issue here.  I shoot a hoyt trykon xl set at 70lbs and it pushes a 480 grain arrow plenty fast.  My total arrow weight is 480 grains or about 6.85 grains per inch.  I have shot completely thru both elk thus far and they have died within sight.  I have calmed both down with calls immediately after shooting so that is part of it, but I am a fan of heavy arrow and lots of kinetic energy.

yup the kinetic energy is an archers bestfriend. kinda the same way with handgun hunting, its better to be a little heavier and slower then lighter and faster. id much rather make sure that animal knew he was hit then to just blow right through him without him even feeling it. lol

snoho oh dont you worry ill use my old bow when you arent looking...lol

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 02:00:40 PM »
I have to disagree a bit here with that statement bankwalker, KE is not an archers best friend, arrow placement is an archers best friend.  If you hit an elk square on the shoulder, it will not matter if you have 60lbs of KE or 100lbs of KE, your left with poor arrow penetration and a wounded elk which you will most likely not find.  As I read in another thread about bullets, animals only get one degree of dead.  There is nothing more dead than a elk with an arrow through both lungs, and it don't get more dead if the arrow weighs more. 

Certainly there is some slight advantage to a heavier arrow, if you make a bad shot, but not much.  But I have killed over 30 animals in the last ten years, deer, elk, bear and hogs and only not had a complete pass through on one of those animals, and it was a 350lb hog in Oregon.  And that animal went a total of 2 yards, and this was shooting the 6gr per lb minimum of a 405gr arrow at 67lbs. 

The problem I see with the 6gr per lbs requirement is this, on whose scale does this arrow get weighed?  I can weigh mine at home on my zeroed out digital RCBS reloading scale and get 404gr, go to the archery shop, use the same type scale and they weigh 400g, go to my buddies house and use a different scale and get 405gr.  So whose scale counts, and is there a % of fudge factor that the G&F boys allow if there scale reads 2gr lighter than mine does at home?  Also the other problem I have is this, if it's legal to hunt mith a minimum 300gr arrow out of a 40lb bow for elk, which would generate maybe say 40lbs of KE, why isn't it legal to use a 325gr arrow out of a 65lb bow which obviously generates even more energy? And let's not even start on how precisely accurate each different bow draw weight scale is, not too mention loss of poundage with string stretch

Simple fact is, I believe as long as your arrow is between 350-400gr, and you use proper shot placement out of a well tuned bow with arrows flying like bullets, proper shot placement is gonna leave a dead elk on your hands.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »
I have to disagree a bit here with that statement bankwalker, KE is not an archers best friend, arrow placement is an archers best friend.  If you hit an elk square on the shoulder, it will not matter if you have 60lbs of KE or 100lbs of KE, your left with poor arrow penetration and a wounded elk which you will most likely not find.  As I read in another thread about bullets, animals only get one degree of dead.  There is nothing more dead than a elk with an arrow through both lungs, and it don't get more dead if the arrow weighs more. 

Certainly there is some slight advantage to a heavier arrow, if you make a bad shot, but not much.  But I have killed over 30 animals in the last ten years, deer, elk, bear and hogs and only not had a complete pass through on one of those animals, and it was a 350lb hog in Oregon.  And that animal went a total of 2 yards, and this was shooting the 6gr per lb minimum of a 405gr arrow at 67lbs. 

The problem I see with the 6gr per lbs requirement is this, on whose scale does this arrow get weighed?  I can weigh mine at home on my zeroed out digital RCBS reloading scale and get 404gr, go to the archery shop, use the same type scale and they weigh 400g, go to my buddies house and use a different scale and get 405gr.  So whose scale counts, and is there a % of fudge factor that the G&F boys allow if there scale reads 2gr lighter than mine does at home?  Also the other problem I have is this, if it's legal to hunt mith a minimum 300gr arrow out of a 40lb bow for elk, which would generate maybe say 40lbs of KE, why isn't it legal to use a 325gr arrow out of a 65lb bow which obviously generates even more energy? And let's not even start on how precisely accurate each different bow draw weight scale is, not too mention loss of poundage with string stretch

Simple fact is, I believe as long as your arrow is between 350-400gr, and you use proper shot placement out of a well tuned bow with arrows flying like bullets, proper shot placement is gonna leave a dead elk on your hands.

true, but no one has perfect shot placement every single shot. no matter how much you practice. that kinetic energy comes into place alot when you are off just by an inch, its the difference between a shattered shoulder or an deflected arrow.

then again thats why i try to shoot everyday from mid june all the way through the end of the season. practice makes perfect and i dont want to blame poor shot placement on a lost animal.

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »
is the same 6gr per pound law the same for compounds and recurves?

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »
You know I don't believe the law differentiates between compounds and traditional equipment.  But yes, the heavier arrow may give you slightly more leeway on some shots that are not perfect.  And we all know, things rarely go perfectly when we are hunting.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 06:38:04 PM »
You know I don't believe the law differentiates between compounds and traditional equipment.  But yes, the heavier arrow may give you slightly more leeway on some shots that are not perfect.  And we all know, things rarely go perfectly when we are hunting.

yeah thats forsure, 90% of everything goes wrong. if everything went perfectly every year no one would come home empty handed and we wouldnt have any animals left. lol

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal