collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spot lighting from an improved road in a vehicle  (Read 11047 times)

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
Re: Spot lighting from an improved road in a vehicle
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 03:54:37 PM »
Here you go guys. I'll stir the fudge. If you're disabled with your disabled placard displayed, you can legally hunt off of any road spotlighting or not as long as you are as far off the road as possible with the motor turned off, you CAN have a loaded gun in your vehicle any time.

Let the battle begin.

Only if you don't have beer and ice cream in the vehicle ;)

So far 2 Game Officers and two sheriff friends of mine have told me no spotlighting from a motorized vehicle. Trying to get a definitive answer.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 05:17:39 PM »
.................oh crap, I just spilled my beer into my ice cream  :tup:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 05:36:41 PM »
The poaching part sucks big time and I hope they get caught.

On another note. If is perfectly legal to spotlight from an improved road with weapons. It is not legal to harass big game though. There is a difference. The warden will have to catch them shooting from the road or without a doubt harasing big game. But just spotlighting from the road with guns is not ground for a ticket.

I hope they catch then harassing or poaching though.

Here you go guys. I'll stir the fudge. If you're disabled with your disabled placard displayed, you can legally hunt off of any road spotlighting or not as long as you are as far off the road as possible with the motor turned off, you CAN have a loaded gun in your vehicle any time.

Let the battle begin.

Both of these 2 comments are correct. I have been checked out many times by both game wardens, and sheriff officers. Why spotlighting for yotes. I have not and will not ever get a ticket for what i am doing. Because the way I do it, its a 100% legal. If you do it the right way. :tup:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline LRP

• Tracker
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 11:11:30 AM »
The simple act of spotlighting is not illegal.  The law prohibiting spotlighting applies to big game.  If you are spotlighting big game and have a firearm, or bow in the vehicle, you are wrong and are subject to being cited, and losing your firearms, at least for evidence.  As for oppinions from different officers, whether game officers or deputies from around the state, remember they all have different thoughts, oppinions, and ways in which they enforce different laws.  You will not get the same oppinion around the state.  Make sure your local officer gives you his views and what he would do.     Disabled hunters can shoot from the vehicle as long as they have the vehicle off the roadway, (for paved roads) if the the road is not paved it must be off the road as far as possible.  Also the engine must be turned off.  They cannot drive around with a loaded rifle or shotgun in the vehicle.  As with everything, there is alway an exception.

Offline L8NITE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 11:39:42 AM »
Answers to some of these questions can be found at http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/ under Title 77 fish and game.
"The Hunts not over!"

Offline MIKEXRAY

• Sourdough
  • Bowhunter east side. Kayak Fishing cascade lakes.
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 12:11:02 PM »
There is a difference between " spot lighting " & harassing big game. I went into GMU 501 ten years ago the night before muzzy season & ran into " the decoy set up " . I only stopped my truck to look at the deer with my headlights as it was on a curve. Gamies came from all directions , & walked up to my drivers window. My muzzy was in the camper & I only was driving with socks on. 2 gamies talked to me & checked my paperwork, young gamie was all worked up & wanted to write a ticket for " Harassing " big game, older gamie talked him out of it. I am positive that if I was spot lighting I would of gotton a ticket for sure. I don't know the laws but they wanted to write some tickets that night ! 
As stated I don't know the laws that well & with that being said I would never spot light ever for any reason, better to err on the side of caution. Plus I don't really have a reason. Mike

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline LRP

• Tracker
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 04:00:15 PM »
I've thought long and hard about this, and I see there are some real concerns about regulations.  Bob33 has been posting links to the RCW's which gives the exact wording to our laws.  There are numerous Fish and Wildlife officers on this forum, but do not identify themselves for a lot of reasons.  But, since I see there is a real concern and a need for answers, I will tell you all I am a Fish and Wildlife Officer and have been so for over 30 years.  So, with that I will try and answer your questions.  But as I said, remember, regulations will be enforced at the descretion of the officer.  What one officer does is not necessarily what all will do.  I will not second guess another officers decission in other area's.  I believe in treating everyone equally and fairly.  What is unlawful for one is unlawful for all.  Even if I wouldn't write a citation, we will talk. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]