collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wilderness Pack Question??  (Read 39275 times)

Offline dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Wilderness Pack Question??
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2011, 08:07:54 AM »
I think the Kirafu packs are made with gold thread!
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline colockumelk

• Frontiersman
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2011, 08:22:23 AM »
I think the Kirafu packs are made with gold thread!

:yeah:

Their prices are ridiculous
"We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm."
Author: George Orwell

Offline halflife65

• Sourdough
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2011, 08:30:30 AM »
I am not willing to drop the amount of money that Kifaru wants.  Thanks for the input dreamingbig.  I guess I'll stick with the MR Crew Cab.

Well, colockum, I have the MR Crewcab and it's definitely the best pack I've owned.  The thing is awesome.  Loaded up with just stuff that you'd carry on a day when you plan on leaving in the dark and coming back in the dark, when you pick it up off the ground it feels heavy but it carries so well that you would swear that it hardly weighs anything.

I also used it to pack out a deer last year that I had shot several miles from camp.  Boned it out and just took it with me.  It's great to be able to do that and not have to come back.  I love the pack.  Plus, you'll be able to add a 6500 or something else to the NICE frame later.  I got the foliage color on the frame so that I can add a bag that wasn't camo later if I wanted.  For those times when I'm not hunting and I want to use it.

Offline huntinhick

• Hunter
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
I just checked again to be sure but isn't the crew cab with frame and the hip belt around 450-500?  the Kifaru spike camp is just a bit bigger, 2300 to the 1900 for the crew cab and can be had for about 400 with the reverse able fleece cover (nice option blaze orange on one side camo on the other.   Don't forget that you also get great product support from Kifaru,  I have read countless stories of them fixing broken stays, bear chewed packs and basic hard use damage for free.  I am not sure about the options for attachments for the crew cab but I can vouch for some of kifaru's  I have the cargo chair and love it.  gives you the option to haul out meat on your hunting pack while still carrying you gear.

carl

Offline halflife65

• Sourdough
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »
Kifarus are a great pack, even with the gold thread.   :chuckle:  If I didn't own an MR, I would have a Kifaru, I think.

The reason I got the MR is because of the NICE frame.  You can then buy other bags to hang off of them. 

You're correct about the price - they are expensive, too.  They also stand behind their packs and repair/replace stuff when necessary.  I think that they are both premium pack builders and treat their customers well.   

Offline huntinhick

• Hunter
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »
I have been wearing a crew cab for the last two days, one of the other 3 Navy guys here has one from his time in a spec ops unit and let me try it.  it is a nice pack,  my spikecamp fits me better so it is a little more comfortable.  I was thinking of picking one up for a scouting pack until I saw the price for it.  I am thinking about a Kifaru scout instead now.  I am going to have to look for the gold thread at the price of gold now I might be able to afford the scout if I can pull it all out! 

btw he also has a 3 day assault bvs that would be a nice option for warmer days as it has great airflow venting...I like that one alot but it is limited for carrying game out
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:34:46 PM by huntinhick »

Offline colockumelk

• Frontiersman
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »
Huntinhick you are right on the price.  I was thinking you needed to buy the Longhunter Hauler ($430) as well as the Longhunter pack ($555) for a total of $985.   :yike:  I was wrong I didn't realize that the Longhunter pack comes with the hauler as the packframe. 

I'm pretty set on the crew cab but...  My Dad bought my plane ticket for me as a gift. Well his plane ticket is about to get regifted in the form of a pack. The Kifaru might just be that pack since he is dead set on an internal frame.
"We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm."
Author: George Orwell

Offline CountryslickR

• Scout
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2011, 08:47:41 PM »
What color would you go with on the Crew Cab?? Post pics when u finally decide!

Offline halflife65

• Sourdough
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2011, 11:51:59 AM »
I ended up with a multi-cam on the CC but would get foliage for either a longbow daypack or 6500 so it wasn't camo if I didn't want to wear it during hunting season.  I got the foliage NICE frame, as well.  The coyote is a super good color but I didn't trust that someone wouldn't think I was an elk and shoot me if I was wearing it.

Bad picture attached but my hunting partner got a picture when I was crawling through the brush and it shows the pack a little bit.  The multi-cam isn't the "cool" looking Optifade stuff but it looks good in the brush.

Offline CountryslickR

• Scout
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »
Pack looks great! I thought the NICE frame came together with the Crew Cab?

Offline halflife65

• Sourdough
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2011, 11:32:57 PM »
You can get them together but once you have the NICE frame you have a lot of options.  You don't necessarily need to get them together, though.

For instance, if you would have gotten a Longbow with a NICE frame you wouldn't have to buy another one to get the Crew Cab (and vice versa).

It's expensive up front for the NICE frame but gets a little more tolerable when you want to add additional stuff.  My next purchase will probably be a 6500 bag and I'll just sell my Gregory backpack because it will be redundant.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]