collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Minimum solo hunting age in WA  (Read 31997 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Minimum solo hunting age in WA
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 10:58:29 PM »
It is pretty clear in the regs. at least for deer, 14 on the eastside and 16 on the westside.  I'm not sure about waterfowl. 

You're joking, right?

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 11:42:19 PM »
Bobcat is correct there is no minimum age in this state. The only thing about age for youth was on page 27 where it says that only hunters under 16 years of age can apply for youth hunts.

Offline pat riotic

• Scout
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 11:48:31 PM »
I gotta be honest, I hate any more hunting regulations than we already have, and no offense to any of you out there whom are very responsible parents or are very responsible kids.  But there are way too many out there who are not either, and I strongly believe there should be a minimum solo hunting age required by the state.  If you want to have your kids take hunters safety at age 5 or 7 or 9 or whenever you think they are ready for it, I have no qualms with that.  But having them solo hunt alone with a rifle should have some sort of minimum age.  Otherwise we might as well turn kids loose with a car whenever the parents deem they are responsible enough to be out driving.  Not any significant difference in my mind.  :twocents:
im 15 turning 16 in a couple days (august 7th) and i actually have to agree with you because in my first few years if i had gone alone i would not have half the knowledge i do now. but now that im moving to the vancouver(wa) area i have no one to hunt with so i will be on my own for a little while but im joinning a local shooting club so hopefully i meet some future hunting partners there. however i would rather hunt alone then not hunt at all.
Made In America and Born to Hunt!

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 06:20:52 AM »
I gotta be honest, I hate any more hunting regulations than we already have, and no offense to any of you out there whom are very responsible parents or are very responsible kids.  But there are way too many out there who are not either, and I strongly believe there should be a minimum solo hunting age required by the state.  If you want to have your kids take hunters safety at age 5 or 7 or 9 or whenever you think they are ready for it, I have no qualms with that.  But having them solo hunt alone with a rifle should have some sort of minimum age.  Otherwise we might as well turn kids loose with a car whenever the parents deem they are responsible enough to be out driving.  Not any significant difference in my mind.  :twocents:
im 15 turning 16 in a couple days (august 7th) and i actually have to agree with you because in my first few years if i had gone alone i would not have half the knowledge i do now. but now that im moving to the vancouver(wa) area i have no one to hunt with so i will be on my own for a little while but im joinning a local shooting club so hopefully i meet some future hunting partners there. however i would rather hunt alone then not hunt at all.

And at 16 years of age I have no qualms with you hunting alone, and your right, better to hunt alone than not at all.  My sense is simply in a state that has no MINIMUM age at which you can begin to hunt as long as you've passed hunters safety, then there should be a minimum age at which you can hunt solo.  That's all.  For me I would say age 14 would be a reasonable minimum age for solo hunting.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline Swannytheswan

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Team Predator Sniper
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 06:55:20 AM »
I disagree if there had been a min. in TN when I was growing up I probably would be a hunter today. My parents didn't care about me hunting  but my dad didn't hunt and he wouldn't have gone with me as much as I wanted to. I did drag him along for a youth hunt and I couldn't get him to be quiet. I was hunting alone at around 10-11 and am 27 now and I was responsible enough, it did take me longer to get a deer than it would have had I had someone to take me and show me the ropes but as far as responsiblilty goes I have always had clean kills and safe shots. I don't know if I am the exception or not however I will always choose to leave the decision in the parents hands rather than the governments. Parents know their children and the state doesn't. I know there are many parents that don't parent and would rather the government raise there kids but if we make the laws/reg. restrictive to do that good kids that are responsible will pay the price and hunting will die in america.
Swanny

Offline predatorpro

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 06:59:42 AM »
i was like 8 when i started hunting alone, but i know guys that are 30 that i dont think would make it an hour in the woods

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 08:10:01 AM »
I have to somewhat agree with Goldtip,  even if it is as low as 12.  There is just such a huge maturity gap between most 11 and 12 year olds.  At least a parent/gurdian should be within earshot fo the kid. 

As a kid, a long time ago... it was really annoying that I could drive myself to go hunting but could not buy ammo for myself to do it.

Offline Swannytheswan

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Team Predator Sniper
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 08:15:29 AM »
As a kid, a long time ago... it was really annoying that I could drive myself to go hunting but could not buy ammo for myself to do it.

:yeah:
Swanny

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 10:50:55 PM »
As soon as I hit 14 years of age, I headed right down main street, shotgun slung across my shoulder and headed for the river to hunt ducks.
 I remember cars passing me by with guys hanging out the windows hollering "Yeah...Go get them!" ( They must have thought I was headed for City Hall or something.)
Those times of tromping through the swamps to the fields by myself made for some good memories.
Doug
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 07:01:11 AM »
As soon as I hit 14 years of age, I headed right down main street, shotgun slung across my shoulder and headed for the river to hunt ducks.
 I remember cars passing me by with guys hanging out the windows hollering "Yeah...Go get them!" ( They must have thought I was headed for City Hall or something.)
Those times of tromping through the swamps to the fields by myself made for some good memories.
Doug

Love your posts...  Wish these days were still around!  Very cool.

_______
I do not support a legal minimum age for kids hunting - I feel that should be up to the parents.  The problem is - I have very little faith in most adults on making a good decision on topics like this!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
There already is a tried and tested age limit in WA - that age at which you're able to safely handle a firearm and comprehend what it means to be a safe and ethical hunter. For some advanced children, that age may be 6, 7, or 8. For others, maybe 12. Instituting an age limit is the creation of a solution looking for a problem. There is no need to change due to safety reasons, unless someone thinks that all of a sudden we're going to see 8 year-olds shooting people. So far, they don't. Leave it alone if it aint broken.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2019, 12:07:27 PM »
It all depends on how you are raised. I used to hunt at 12 all by myself. My brothers made sure that I could. They made me tough. Mental toughness is a big thing. Lots to scare you out there. I have had rattlers almost get me. Shot coyotes at close range.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »
I do not support a legal minimum age for kids hunting - I feel that should be up to the parents.  The problem is - I have very little faith in most adults on making a good decision on topics like this!

pretty much spot on where I am at :yeah:

Offline Birdgetter

• Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2019, 01:05:10 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2019, 06:12:55 PM »
With all the new gun laws here in Washington can a boy who is 17 years old legally take a rifle and go solo deer or elk hunting?

My youngest boy who is 17 is wanting to hit the first two weekends for deer during modern, I will be chasing moose in BC so he will have to go solo.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal