collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Minimum solo hunting age in WA  (Read 31994 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Minimum solo hunting age in WA
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 03:06:31 PM »
Anyone who has passed hunter's safety and has the proper tags and licenses may hunt by themselves. There is no minimum age limit for taking hunter's safety. The instructor may require that youths under a certain age be accompanied by a parent when taking hunter safety.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »
This came up a couple of years ago with a buddie and I.  Seemed to us that years ago it was 11 with a shotgun and 14 rifle.  one day he was going by an minimart and there were 11 wdfw enforcement trucks.  (yeah 11 in one place - good use of our $)  NONE of them new the answer.  A few days later the seagent called him and the answer is :

There is no minimum age:  it was changed some years ago.

So feel free to give a  youngster a gun and turn them loose.  Not that most would do that, but would seem to most reasonable adults that there should be rules for the idiots.

So are you calling me an idiot?
And I'm not clueless I know what I'm doing I dont even hunt with a round in the chamber, its on safety, the barrel is always up or down and I've always waited until I know what I'm shooting at before I pull the trigger

I think you must've have misunderstood his response. I don't think anyone is calling you an idiot.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline rock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 12:10:38 PM »
I started hunting alone when i was 12. but of course this was indiana where all my hunting spot are a mile from the house. I shot all my deer by myself. Doin what i wanna do. I do it legal and ethical. But its nicer for youth to be able to hunt by themselves. I blew a hunt when i was younger on a nice sized buck. Its taught me to be more patient. My parents trust me hunting by myself and with a selct few friends. My parenst i have to say are pretty strict like always having to talk to parents before goin to a friends house and all that good stuff. Its just a matter of trust. And i think i always get more game if i go myself too.
There's more than one way to skin a cat, but that cat won't like any of them...

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 05:28:35 PM »
same here, whenever i bring my friends hunting all i can think about is how loud they are

Offline longknife

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »
same here, whenever i bring my friends hunting all i can think about is how loud they are

LOL a making of a great hunter there!! I have said the same thing since i was 12!

I think alot of people got a bad tase in their mouth after the 2 youths that got dropped off by grandpa, and they shot a lady on top of Darrington. No law, but common sense,,, :twocents:
Paddle faster!!,,,,I hear banjo's!!!!

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »
yea its people like them that make it worse for the rest of us

Offline sebek556

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »
I like the idea of no minimum age for the hunter saftey course. Responabily lies in the parent, I have taken many army soliders out for hunts and some scared me more then my kids first hunts. i have three children ages 12-9-5 my old is my daughter while having her hunter saftey card for 2 years now, not comforable with her soling just yet. My 9 year old son has also had his card for 2 years but showed a interst in hunt much young and would sit in the stand with me, at the current path he is on by 12 would be ready to solo in a area close to me. and the five year old will get to it when the time comes. my older kids all took hunter saftey course in SC, and I am really glad the laws changed for my five year old so in a few years he can take it. And lastly my wife will hopfully get her first ever solo hunt (college schedule permitting) after a few years of bouncing around with the kids.

Offline pat riotic

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »
No minimum age if you have your hunter safety card.
good to know i didnt know that  :tup:
Made In America and Born to Hunt!

Offline YellowDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 09:56:53 AM »

LOL a making of a great hunter there!! I have said the same thing since i was 12!

I think alot of people got a bad tase in their mouth after the 2 youths that got dropped off by grandpa, and they shot a lady on top of Darrington. No law, but common sense,,, :twocents:

Did she have a nice rack? Two-point or better unit? This could have been justifiable.
No offense but that is a pretty distasteful remark given the fact that an innocent person was killed by a young hunter who mis-identified his target. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 10:01:12 AM »
OK, point taken. Sorry about your friend.

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »
No minimum age if you have your hunter safety card.
good to know i didnt know that  :tup:

True, but keep it quiet. This is Washington and the nannies could be getting bored!
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »
It is pretty clear in the regs. at least for deer, 14 on the eastside and 16 on the westside.  I'm not sure about waterfowl. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »
It is pretty clear in the regs. at least for deer, 14 on the eastside and 16 on the westside.  I'm not sure about waterfowl.

I can't find age requirements anywhere. Please tell me which page of the regs this is on and where on the page.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »
I gotta be honest, I hate any more hunting regulations than we already have, and no offense to any of you out there whom are very responsible parents or are very responsible kids.  But there are way too many out there who are not either, and I strongly believe there should be a minimum solo hunting age required by the state.  If you want to have your kids take hunters safety at age 5 or 7 or 9 or whenever you think they are ready for it, I have no qualms with that.  But having them solo hunt alone with a rifle should have some sort of minimum age.  Otherwise we might as well turn kids loose with a car whenever the parents deem they are responsible enough to be out driving.  Not any significant difference in my mind.  :twocents:
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »
 I told you so!
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!