collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: spring bear hunt season dates  (Read 7600 times)

Offline RubblesPH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: spring bear hunt season dates
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 01:02:31 PM »
I agree Rufous - another week would be nice.  A buddy was up there Friday evening and Saturday for the last day of the hunt and found a very nice boar, but wasn't able to get to him in time.  They are still feeding in the open on the grass, chasing the sows and showing themselves at relatively all hours of the day.  Personally haven't seen any rubs on em' yet. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »
I think the season is fine.  Remember we are managing for quality here and not quantity again.  If they wanted more bears killed, just issue another 100 permits.   Most springs I see bear the first of April end of March.  This year is one of the lastest springs we have had and in the last two weeks guys have been reporting 5-10 bear days.  I'm sorry, but thats a pretty good day in the woods.  June you get into heavier brush, and as mentioned harder to see cubs, the hides are usually rubbing really bad now, and really how much do you need to kill a big bear.

Offline RubblesPH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 05:20:29 PM »
and really how much do you need to kill a big bear

I need a big boar really bad!  Must be a sickness!

No, I get what you mean, how much time do you really need...right?  We'll that all depends on what you are seeing.  Could be the first trip up or the fourth trip about five minutes after arrriving for the evening hunt.  Mine was the fourth trip up when I arrived after work.  That was the first real big bear that I had seen.  Luckily I was able to score.  All the others were sows with cubs, lone sows, siblings that had just been kicked out by momma or small boars. 

I was seeing 5-10 bears (ten being a one day compilation of my hunting partner and myself) but when you count cubs, the number is somewhat deceiving.  One day I seen a sow with three cubs and a lone sow....that's 5 bears, but nothing I wanted to go after.  Personal preference I guess. 

Baseball practice on the weekdays and games on Saturdays was killing me.  Vacation time is always at a premium also.  But that's not something that the WDF&G needs to take into consideration, it's just my situation and a fortunate one in my eyes.

I would vote for them to start it a week late and give us that week on the back end.  Maybe it's just the Blue units that I and possibly Rufous are referring to, so maybe it could be a little more unit specific.  Neither Todd nor I have seen any rubs as of yesterday and their still coming out in the open to eat grass where you can field judge and look for cubs.  Either way works for me, but it would be nice to flip that week to the end of the season. 

Rubbles

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 05:51:02 PM »
The only hole in your arguement is that very nice big bear you shot with lots of time still to go. :)

Yes, that was what I meant about time.

Call me a freak, but I think if you make it too easy, you start denting into the quality of the bears you will be hunting.  I think a serious sportsman can get it done and done well with what there is in the season now.  Obviously there are lots of things like work, vacation time, etc that digs into that, but those are my first thoughts.  For th erecord, I am eastside only.
No big deal, I haven't even been drawn yet.  Just to be clear these are my honest thoughts, and thats all they are.  No one else has to agree.  Just an opinion.     

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 06:31:30 PM »
doesn't the season start again in August? No need for extra time IMHO.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 07:11:59 PM »
I'm sticken with my answer ;)

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 08:54:28 PM »
Boneaddict, you said: "Remember we are managing for quality here and not quantity again.  If they wanted more bears killed, just issue another 100 permits."

To my thinking issuing another 100 permits would reduce the quality of the hunt. One of the great things about these spring bear hunts is that those doing the hunting are not terribly crowded by other hunters. It is not every square inch of each unit that is prime bear habitat. Those in the know focus on certain spots. Increasing the number of hunters would likely increase the odds of crowding issues.

I too am asking for a quality hunt. For me that means access to the prime areas where the big boars are hanging out. My understanding of bear habits is that the big boys dominate the best areas, not the marginal areas. Additionally the older boars have figured out to hang in the more remote spots which tends to mean higher country. I just know from experience that I tend to start seeing the bigger boars later in the spring, especially once their breeding season starts. Rufous.

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/seasonsetting/index.htm

Hey guys and gals, you can complete a survey for WA Fish and Game to let them know what you think about various issues. I am going to let them know that I would like to see the spring bear season start May 1 and go until June 15 over here in eastern WA. Rufous.

Offline RubblesPH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 08:26:20 PM »
Good idea! Unfortunately I already filled mine out and spaced it off.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal