collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Must be a bait station for bear?  (Read 13682 times)

Offline tony04

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Must be a bait station for bear?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 10:47:16 AM »
 :yeah: i'd bet thats what it is..

Offline fishcrazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 11:34:51 AM »
Hide a trail cam and find out if it's even being used.

Kris
This family supported by UNION wages. Proud member of UA Local 26

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook twice?

Offline machine

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »
Found this one on timber company land.

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 12:35:12 PM »
I would just leave it alone and forget about it, if someone is baiting a bear so what. That's just my opinion, i think its a stupid law that doesn't make anysense.  People that bait generally get the big boars and don't usually end up shooting sows with cubs by mistake. I would just walk away.....
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 02:24:32 PM »
I would just leave it alone and forget about it, if someone is baiting a bear so what. That's just my opinion, i think its a stupid law that doesn't make anysense.  People that bait generally get the big boars and don't usually end up shooting sows with cubs by mistake. I would just walk away.....

A "STUPID LAW" doesn't make it right that someone is baiting here in Washington. Alot of stupid laws out there, doesn't make choosing which one to follow a personal choice.........  I would suggest a call to the timber company, maybe they have permits, etc to do it.  If so - then that is that.  If not - report it..

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »

A "STUPID LAW" doesn't make it right that someone is baiting here in Washington. Alot of stupid laws out there, doesn't make choosing which one to follow a personal choice.........  I would suggest a call to the timber company, maybe they have permits, etc to do it.  If so - then that is that.  If not - report it..
Man to bad the people of Washington did not have brains to figure that one out .. Baiting definately safes the younger animals .. gives the hunter a chance to see what he is shooting exspecially for the ones who do not see many bear .. most people see a bear and think they saw the biggest bear alive when most of them are no bigger than 200 lbs...why cant they think like us ? :bash: :bash:

Offline Wenatcheejay

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 04:05:40 PM »
Now that you have posted this on H-W the only thing for the original poster to do is to notify WDFW about it and give them all the information that you know. You also need to show them exactly where you found it. That is the only lawful thing to do.

BTW, I did not think it was illegal to feed bears only to hunt them with bait. There are some of people who put out dogfood in Longview but don't hunt. Personally, I can't express how much the anti predator hunting laws in this State make me throw up my hands. ( I need to take up gardening.)
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »
Now that you have posted this on H-W the only thing for the original poster to do is to notify WDFW about it and give them all the information that you know. You also need to show them exactly where you found it. That is the only lawful thing to do.

BTW, I did not think it was illegal to feed bears only to hunt them with bait. There are some of people who put out dogfood in Longview but don't hunt. Personally, I can't express how much the anti predator hunting laws in this State make me throw up my hands. ( I need to take up gardening.)

That is correct. You can feed them, but cannot hunt them with bait or even in a area close to the bait.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »
I know I'd be totally pissed if I were out hunting bear, got into an area with a lot of sign and downed a bear and didn't see that $($%@*))! barrel full of stale doughnuts a few yards away chained to the backside of some tree and the wildlife officer hiding just up the hill.

good luck 'splainin that one.

other than that, ya the law needs changed. 
hunting over bait is a good way to get bear, good way to choose the bear you want and you work for it. 

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »

Goly gee ward- wern't you  a little hard on the beve tonight??? com'n man really,  do you have to be such a anti hunter to just say "if it's against the law then turn them in.  I bet you've never baited a bear in your life, you probably never spent the time, money and hours it takes to do it.  Just because you have never done it, probably voted against it and don't have a clue doesn't mean turning the guy in is the right thing to do. You would probably turn in someone shooting a wolf too I would imagine?  Just my 2 cents.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline elkaholic

• Longhunter
  • Brokenleg elk
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
 :chuckle:

Sounds like a guy just wanting to get some cool photos and see whats out there during this time of year....

Could be a poacher? But as said earlier alot of time , money and work go in thats too much for your average poacher.

maybe its a bait site for Bigfoot??? :yike:

Offline Webfoot

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 06:32:29 PM »
 The others are right.
Timber companies put these out in the spring to feed bears. It keeps them from peeling trees to get the cambium layer.

John

Offline rebal69972

• Longhunter
  • wfw
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 06:44:42 PM »

That is correct. You can feed them, but cannot hunt them with bait or even in a area close to the bait.

is it legal to feed them for pictures as long as you dont hunt where you feed them? the laws really confuse me in this state
I'm your huckleberry

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »
Now, now folks come on..Those are just hunting blinds for midgets.. :chuckle: :chuckle:

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »
.. most people see a bear and think they saw the biggest bear alive when most of them are no bigger than 200 lbs...why cant they think like us ? :bash: :bash:

Quite a few Bears will go all there lives and never reach 200lbs. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]