collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A crazy, f'ed up season, but...  (Read 3674 times)

Offline fishunt247

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: A crazy, f'ed up season, but...
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 09:00:50 PM »
And by the way, we pattern our guns at 5 and 10 yard incriments from 25-55 (sometimes 60) yards. I spend a lot of money and time on loads and patterning. With the loads I'm shooting right now, the best I've had is 249 pellets in a 12" circle at 37 yards. That's pretty damned good.

The jake that I had to shoot was 60 yards past the shooter and not lined up with the bird that was shot at. If any of you have ever called in multiple birds, I'm sure a stray pellet or two has ended up in one of the other birds.

The jake dad shot (on accident): he knew it was a gobbler by the head...all of us who turkey hunt can tell a gobbler from a hen based on the head, right? He shot it based on the blood red head, and he just assumed it was the lone longbeard that just gobbled right there.

Since I've started turkey hunting in 1997, not counting this season: I've missed two birds, Justin has missed two, and dad has missed three. Missing happens.

Offline yelp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 07:00:33 AM »
Not targeted at FH comments..My own opinion on this topic. 

No matter what my pattern, load and setup..Everytime I squeeze the trigger I am aware of the background and that no other birds are shot.  Many multiple toms have come into my setups and left..why?  Couldn't get a clean shot.  Because I can hunt them later or tommorrow.  It was not worth it to wound another to take one home.  I personally celebrate the kill of each bird too.  I don't flock shoot to get my two birds in eastern washington.  One per day for me.  I also enjoy the hunt, the challenge.  If it is about the meat I know of cheaper means to acquire that meat.  :twocents:
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 07:07:21 AM »
Not targeted at FH comments..My own opinion on this topic. 

No matter what my pattern, load and setup..Everytime I squeeze the trigger I am aware of the background and that no other birds are shot.  Many multiple toms have come into my setups and left..why?  Couldn't get a clean shot.  Because I can hunt them later or tommorrow.  It was not worth it to wound another to take one home.  I personally celebrate the kill of each bird too.  I don't flock shoot to get my two birds in eastern washington.  One per day for me.  I also enjoy the hunt, the challenge.  If it is about the meat I know of cheaper means to acquire that meat.  :twocents:
I run the same way Eric ... one bird per day is good enough for me to ... glad you guys had an awesome year ... awesome pictures and good friends and family thats what is all about !!!! john

Offline packmule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 08:30:30 AM »
And this is exactly why I quit visiting this site. Everyone knows everything. For those of you that know me, personally or through this site, you know that Dad, Justin, and I are very successful and responsible.

After each bird we missed (aside from mine on the last day because we were still in the woods), we repatterned our guns to be sure. In the past four years, we've called in and killed five birds that have been previously shot in a non-vital area.

And we scoured the area every time after we shot.

Sorry, I gotta go "blast away" at more birds. This site is ridiculous.

FH,

I know you "took it on the chin" early in this string and I agree that many posts come from "the expert in us all."  My initial reaction to your first post and photos was that something was definitely wrong with this scenario, it sounded like chaos.  Once we got more information about your group and the degree to with which you prepare with patterning, etc., that helped understand the situation. 

Reading most of the follow-up posts as a neutral party, I don't think too many people were trying to bash you as a person.  It sounded to me like a lot of people are protective of our resource and the image that we convey.  In fact I recently saw on another site a list of "Thou shall not dos" that included posting information about wounded birds, long shots, etc. because of the implications associated with negative images that non-hunters could take from those posts. 

Congratulations on a successful season, and thanks for telling your stories and showing the photos.  Hopefully the story about the jake that was killed from overspray will help us all to be more selective with shots in the future and reduce the number of wounded birds in upcoming seasons.

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 06:24:27 AM »
 :yeah:
       I know that many of us are very dedicated and passionate about this sport, we know what it took to build this into a decent hunting opportuntiy in this state, and have a tendency to be very protective when we see or hear anything that may appear to jeopardize it in the least.
       I also have had the opportunity to meet FishHunt and can tell everyone that he is a extremely fine young dedicated hunter (and great turkey caller), and is as passionate about this sport as anyone and everyone else.  He is the type of young man that we need now and in the future to be involved with this sport, and although I understand the concerns raised, I guarantee you in this case they were not warranted. 
        :twocents:

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 07:23:41 AM »
Well stated PackMule and TurkeyDancer.  I'd agree as well that I believe most of the comments in this thread stem from the desire to protect our image and resources, but I would go one step further and state that I don't think the 'constructive criticism' was delivered in the best format.  There is a fine line that needs to be walked when honestly trying to respectfully offer advice, and sometimes people fail when it comes to the delivery.

FH - great season.  Don't let the comments of a few turn you off to this site.  Does baseball as a whole suck just because A-Rod plays?  Nope.  This site is a valuable resource for all and it brings the hunting community together in ways that were never before possible.  Keep up the good work and we'll all be looking forward to future stories to share

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal