collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: therma cell??  (Read 6115 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
therma cell??
« on: June 10, 2011, 08:35:09 AM »
Does anyone use a Therma-cell for bugs? I know all the TV hunt masters use them so I assume they work beyond great (  :) ) but I was just wondering if there's any real world experience with them?
Thanks in advance.
JB
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline wormfood

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: therma cell??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 08:42:10 AM »
I use my religiously in Sept. while deer and elk hunting but have heard from outfitters the bears can detect it when its on and stay away. Couple of the tribal guys at Quinalt dont want you to bring them if you book a hunt. I shot a 4 point bull 3 years ago at 16 yards with my therma cell on.My buddy took a 6 point 2 years ago and both of us had therma cells running on our packs. I love the damn things.

Offline woodman

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »
I use mine and it works well.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:52:10 AM »
For the sake of discussion, I am not interested in one to use while hunting...just for general use...hang it on the deck, camping, etc. to keep the bugs away.
Thanks.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:59:10 AM »
For the sake of discussion, I am not interested in one to use while hunting...just for general use...hang it on the deck, camping, etc. to keep the bugs away.
Thanks.

I use mine while camping alot. We have property outside Cle Elum and the bugs are nasty this time of year. I put mine next to me and it works great. The only problem is if it is windy then it doesn't work as well. Other than that, they are worth it!  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline christopheri

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:59:59 AM »
Thanks.

Yes they work well.  :tup:

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:02:58 AM »
They work pretty good, i use one if i am just relaxing around my property, i do find it gets in my way if i am working/cutting wood ect, i use deet or permethrin if i am being active.
Have not used one hunting yet.
I did also try the "off" brand clipons, those did not work.
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline elkoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:39:39 AM »
Do they work for still hunting???
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be, time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, the animals, and fish that live there”.- Fred bear

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:10:50 AM »
works great for skeeters, dont do *censored* for the black flys

Offline woodman

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »
Do they work for still hunting???

Yes, they work for me just fine. I get into some pretty thick stuff and the bugs are thick. Without one it is very hard to sit still for me.

Offline elkoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »
I may have to give one a shot.. I was litterally sprinting out of my favorite elk spot opening morning last year...
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be, time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, the animals, and fish that live there”.- Fred bear

Offline flinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 01:11:23 PM »
works great for skeeters, dont do *censored* for the black flys
The no seeums? I use mine and love it sitting on a large stump get settled in, from thin air hundreds of the little black buggers. start the T.C within 5 minutes or so not a single stinkin bug! works great for me
You can also get the thermacell patio lantern ,I haven't picked one up yet but would assume they work the same except they may use a candle instead of the butane.
SEE YA IN THE FIELDS
        FLINGER

Online Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 12:31:36 PM »
I've used 'em out of a tree stand in Sept. for elk, worked great keeping the mosquitos away.

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 12:35:45 PM »
Thermacell is awesome!!!   And if your really looking for a deal go on the website and  buy the refurbished units!!!  The most expensive part is the butane refills and replacemnet pads, and there are videos i posted awhile back on youtube that show how to do your own refills if your a penny pincher.  I believe they have a lantern which is the way i would go if i wasnt wearing it and just using for the porch.

:tup:
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Be come one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

One moment you're flying south for the winter, then - BANG - gravy.

Offline sebek556

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »
I've also been thinking about on but was worried it was just another gimick thing. reviews sound good so I will give it a try and sit in the stand with it pryor to season and see what happens. thanks guys

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal