collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mayor Nickels Proposes Gun Ban in Seattle Parks  (Read 17570 times)

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
Re: Mayor Nickels Proposes Gun Ban in Seattle Parks
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 04:59:18 PM »
Come on Ray......... Hempfest? 

Yes. I believe that marijuana is peddled by gang members in the city. Gang members are the perpetuators of crime. Thus anything that openly allows and advocates illegal drug use but does not allow the sale then I believe that it is supporting gang violence and is undermining the laws as well is contradictory and confuses the populace into believing it is not a big deal. Thus hempfest should probably be banned before any concealed carry guns.

Offline Diehard0123

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 07:48:29 AM »
Well if Mayor McCheese bans guns people will just use plastic grocery bags that they paid 20 :twocents:for to kill people.  The Seattle police will not be able to catch the perp because they will be staking out strip clubs and night clubs.

Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag

Offline Stalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2008, 09:52:09 AM »
Did anyone attend this?  How did it go?

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 10:21:48 AM »
I couldn't make it. I was out hunting.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2008, 10:22:42 AM »
I couldnt make it but watching the news last night, it looked like quite the turn out. It sounded like it was more of a formality than having any sort of sway in the Mayors decision.

Many in attendance were openly packing.

Offline Stalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 12:59:06 PM »
Good to hear there was a good turnout; interesting that a number would be carrying but that is part of our rights.  I apologize for asking questions on this but I don't get much WA news here; did the liberal media paint the pro 2AM folks in a positive or negative light?

Thanks guys for the info.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2008, 01:03:47 PM »
The newscast I saw showed a few more passionate people talk about the uselessness of "Gun Free Zone" signs, etc. It didnt seem to be negative, but the way they (the media) spoke about the meeting, the more it sounded like a complete waste of time for anyone who opposed it. They did not mention once that it was against the states constitution, only that the Mayors office could expect law suits from gun owners on the subject.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 01:54:21 PM »
Meanwhile he thinks he deserves a pay raise while much public money is feeling the crunch during the recession. What a classy guy. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008493973_salaries11m.html

Change of rules or not. I'll still pack anywhere I want in seattle. If confronted i will just hire a good attorney.

sisu

Re: Mayor Nickels Proposes Gun Ban in Seattle Parks/FROM SAF
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 10:15:40 AM »
Hot off the Press of SAF.

Second Amendment Foundation
12500 NE Tenth Place  • Bellevue, WA   98005
(425) 454-7012  • FAX (425) 451-3959  • www.saf.org
NICKELS HIDES WHILE GUN OWNERS OPPOSE SEATTLE GUN BAN SCHEME
For Immediate Release:   12/16/2008
BELLEVUE, WA – When a cross-section of firearms owners gathered at Seattle City Hall Monday night to oppose Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels’ gun ban scheme, the mayor was nowhere in sight to defend his plan, and the Second Amendment Foundation wonders why.

“If ever an audience reflected the kind of diversity that elitists like Greg Nickels normally rave about, Monday night’s turnout of gun owners certainly measured up,” said SAF founder Alan Gottlieb. “There were gays, straights, men and women, including one self-described feminist Democrat party activist. I was proud of the broad spectrum represented by the firearms community.

“Under any other circumstances,” he continued, “Mayor Nickels and other Seattle establishment insiders would be drawn to such a group like moths to a flame. But these were law-abiding gun owners, outraged over the mayor’s arrogant plan to ignore state statute and advice from the state attorney general. In short, it was an audience of citizens that Nickels and his ilk claim to represent, saying that he doesn’t. The mayor wanted no part of such a public embarrassment.

“Mayor Nickels started this controversy by proposing the gun ban,” Gottlieb observed, “yet he lacked the intestinal fortitude to defend his scheme before the very people who would suffer. Elitists like Nickels are always quick to sneer about ‘cowardly gun owners,’ but when he had the chance to face them, he vanished.

“Many department heads were there to take the heat,” Gottlieb added, “except for Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske. It is not clear whether he skipped the meeting because he doesn’t care for armed citizens, or because he was still out looking for his stolen pistol, which is more of a threat to public safety than anybody who testified at Monday night’s hearing.

“This proposed gun ban is nonsense,” he concluded. “It will not prevent a single crime. It will only leave citizens more vulnerable. As usual, Mayor Nickels chooses symbolism over safety, and he is clearly afraid to face the people whose rights he plans to abrogate.”

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nations oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 600,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New Haven, CT; and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit against the cities suing gun makers and an amicus brief and fund for the Emerson case holding the Second Amendment as an individual right.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »
Awesome report

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2008, 10:30:26 AM »
Nickels is running for a third term in 2009.  Looks like he's on his way to pissing off enough people to vote him out. 

http://www.gregnickels.com/

Offline 300winmag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2008, 08:49:47 PM »
How can he legally make such a stupid law ? I thought that the 2nd amendment gives us that right and that no city or town can just make up there own laws, because some wake job shot some one . One of these days those that take the gun away may need that gun to save there ace.

Offline Triplebrow

• Tracker
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 11:18:17 AM »
Meanwhile he thinks he deserves a pay raise while much public money is feeling the crunch during the recession. What a classy guy. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008493973_salaries11m.html

Change of rules or not. I'll still pack anywhere I want in seattle. If confronted i will just hire a good attorney.

That's the same view the people selling marijuana have...... you know the ones you just referenced in your above post about hempfest, and gangs.  They know it's illegal but they just keep doing it.

What's the difference from a legal standpoint?

Offline Triplebrow

• Tracker
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2008, 11:21:39 AM »
Come on Ray......... Hempfest? 

Yes. I believe that marijuana is peddled by gang members in the city. Gang members are the perpetuators of crime. Thus anything that openly allows and advocates illegal drug use but does not allow the sale then I believe that it is supporting gang violence and is undermining the laws as well is contradictory and confuses the populace into believing it is not a big deal. Thus hempfest should probably be banned before any concealed carry guns.

Sorry I said selling, you said "peddled by gang members".

Are you confusing the populace into believing it is not a big deal by saying you will continue to carry a weapon regardless as to whether or not it is against the law?

Offline rougheye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2008, 11:24:41 AM »
It is your constitutional right  to carry .  It is not to sell pot .  :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101