collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Drift Boat opinions...  (Read 11244 times)

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
Drift Boat opinions...
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:42:52 PM »
Been pondering a drift boat lately, whatcha think is better, glass or aluminum and why. Got my eye on Willie and Clackacraft. Thanks. Later
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline fishcrazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Drift Boat opinions...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:23:17 PM »
metal. Willie.
"Simply the Best"

I own 2 of their boats.

Kris
This family supported by UNION wages. Proud member of UA Local 26

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook twice?

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:47:40 PM »
Kris, is there any advantage to metal? I really like their boats, along with all the options they offer. I'll use it on lakes more than rivers, but will see some river use as well. Later
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »
Will you float any rivers when they are low?

Metal boat- Hits rock, gets stuck. You get out and push.

Glass boat (Clack)- Hits rock, bottom flexes over it, and you keep on rowing.

A buddy of mine guided on the Kalama for a while and when all the guys with metal boats were at home cause the water was low, he was floating it and nailing fish in his clack.

I owned a Clack and my cousin rowed it (he had also rowed a Willie) and he said the clack was way easier to row and tracked way better.  :twocents:

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:57:32 PM »
Cool, thats what I was wondering Brent. I hate pushin, thats why I drive Toyotas. Laffin....
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »
I know the boys over in Montucky, E Idaho seem to like the glass boats...
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline CallMeBigPapa

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 08:03:25 PM »
I have a Willie when the waters up and a Lavro when the waters down. For rivers you should consider having both.

My buddy has a Clack that I've rowed a few times and there is no way it rows and tracks better than my Willie. My .02

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 08:06:49 PM »
Driftboats tend to be purpose specific a lot too...what do you want to do with it? My boat is a great general purpose boat but I like to flyfish and the flyfishing specific boats are definitely nicer for that purpose. They're not real good for big water though. See what I mean...
I have a 16' Lavro glass boat and have no issues with it. I think they tend to be a little heavier than aluminum so the aluminum boats tend to handle a little better, especially with a load in them but the glass is a lot quieter. I've done +/- 48 miles on the Oregon Deschutes in a 17' aluminum boat and it was great....loaded, 4 guys, all gear, camped out of the boat for 4 days. Also did a guide trip on the Rhonde when it was way low and we lined that boat and walked through some real skinny water. I woulda done the same with my glass boat though.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:11:25 PM »
My dad and I have an older alumaweld pot belly. Its a sweet boat. My good fishing buddy is the most hardcore steelhead guy I know. He has been a fish checker in Forks for over 25 years. Currently has 4 personal drift boats and has owned literally dozens over the years. Glass and aluminum. He'll tell ya the new Willies are junk. They are thinner and are made of lesser quality metals and can't take a hit like the older ones. They look all nice and shiny when they are new, but it would sure suck to hit a rock with a $4000.00 boat and have it dent. I had an 11' lavro glass boat too. I like both, I feel safer in a aluminum, but the glass boats are definitely warmer.
 :twocents:
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
I would try to decide which rivers you would primarily want to run with a DB.  Then look at the rocks/logs that you are most likely to encounter.  For a large, wide river with well tumbled rocks I'd think glass has a lot of advantages.  Then compare to a river that can get narrow with sharp rocks and branches near the bank and aluminum may look a bit better.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 09:09:56 AM »
I recommend the best one on craigslist...in other words, search the site and look for the great deal...be flexible enough not to let a great deal slip away (by the way, the Portland Area craisglist always has more drift boats...for some reason).

I got a 16x54 willies for $2800...it is a $4,000 boat...

but if you must know my preference it is an aluminum boat for one reason...propane heaters for winter steelhead fishing...my buddy has a Hyde and yes, it slides across gravel bars with ease...but I put a coating of "coat it" on my drift boat bottom and it too slides just as easy...

So, if there are two "specific" things I would recommend...one is try and get a wide boat...as they float higher in the water, like my 16x54 floats higher (less drag) than a 16x48...the second thing is think about what you will mostly use it for...you being from Chehalis, you might hit some of the local rivers more often, such as the Humptulips, Satsop, Wynoochee, etc...therefore a metal boat would my what I would recommend...those rivers have great fall and winter fisheries...and man, theres nothing better than a hot cup of coffee, on anchor with the propane heaters going while twitching jigs for coho...

G-C-R

PS. the main reason you see the guys in Idaho and Montana using glass boats is because their rivers can get real "skinny" in summer...and in winter it snows so its a "dry cold" something you can dress for...for us wetside washingtonians we get "wet cold"...rain instead of snow, and man, there is no way to "dress" for that...the best rain gear will still get you soaked with sweat while you row...so it's nice to have those heaters to dry out and stay warm...but again, the best drift boat is the one you got for a screaming deal...PM me if you want info on anchor locks, oars, seats configurations, etc...oh, and if you can get your hands on last Dec. issue of STS there is a great article in there on some "do it yourself" improvement projects for a metal boat...
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »
Great review Grade-Creek-Rd, very informatinal. Later
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline wildmanoutdoors

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 09:24:24 AM »
My 2000 Willie rowed WAY better than my 91 Clack. Have hundreds of hours on both on Forks rivers. My Willie had the UHMW bottom. It was the ultimate for sliding over rocks.

It tracked superbly for plugging. The Clack sucks for that.
That said, If I was buying a new drifter Id have to row the new Clacks with the tunnel hull and dimples before I made my decision.

If your not going to consider a new enough clack that has the tunnel hull and dimples, look to a metal boat for sure.
Even on lakes you work harder keeping it rowing straight with a glass non tunneled boat. Even with a electric trolling motor.

I'm not sold on the tunnel until I row it. I garentee I could get my Willie down the Kalama even on a low water day. Nothing stopped that boat!

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »
ive rowed a few boats, willies are better than a clack imo. my buddy put some stuff on the bottom of his boat because it would stick, cant remember the name, and it slids over rocks no problem now

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 01:16:46 PM »
I have been looking for a Willies for about a month on craigslist.  There was a Thor built drift boat on there but it was pulled.  My wife agreed the limit to spend is $4,000.  Jud, you going new or craigslist new.

275 down 2

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal