collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why is it spike only for Eastside Elk  (Read 18483 times)

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Why is it spike only for Eastside Elk
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2011, 09:26:15 AM »
I think how thick it is on the westside allows for enough escapement of large bulls so the herd dynamics are a bit different  :dunno:

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »
I thought the idea was to kill all the genetically deficient spike bulls, while letting the bigger bodied branch antlered bulls impregnate as many of the heard as possible, leading to more bigger bodied branch antler bulls in the future. Is this not correct?

That is "whitetail management logic".  May apply to whitetail deer herds (still debatable from what I have read), but does NOT apply to elk.  Most (nearly all) yearling male bull elk are spikes.  Does not mean they are genetically inferior.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
I think how thick it is on the westside allows for enough escapement of large bulls so the herd dynamics are a bit different  :dunno:
That was my understanding also, was not every Elk with a hint of antler getting slaughtered, just the ones dumb enough to stand near a road !  :chuckle:
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »
one thing i read is that the spikes if allowed to breed because the more mature bulls are not getting the job done is that the spike bulls normally are not able to breed the cows till thier second estrus cycle and causes the calves to be born later in the year and less of a chance to be ready for the fall and winter months so less calf survival.This is just one reason of many

if this were legitimate then it would make sense to be a statewide rule rather than just one side of the mountains.  they seem to use biology when they want to or when it backs up the politically motivated decisions  :dunno:
this is just elk behaviour in general.But i do agree with the last part of your post
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2011, 09:35:32 AM »
That was my understanding also, was not every Elk with a hint of antler getting slaughtered, just the ones dumb enough to stand near a road !  :chuckle:
:yeah:
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
My experience is in the blues, I don't know squat about the west sides elk. After hearing about elk hunting before the spike only rule from my elders, finding  a bull elk was tough back then. Hunters were everywhere and if something had antlers it better have a cave to hide in to survive. Now 20 years later we have one of the best trophy areas in the state, I'd even say the pacific northwest. The herd was struggling to say the least before they made the switch.  Now that the herd is thriving I would love to see more opportunities to hunt them, either draw only or more special tags, buy the current tags numbers are way to low.  All I know is that the rule was implemented here to help the herd recover it's numbers not to weed out small bulls.  Although weeding out the spikes may have been a unknown benefit to the rule.  Again this is only for the blues. 

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2011, 10:11:30 PM »
This is a dumb question, but it has been soooo long since I even thought about this one.. but what is the management philosophy behind having the Eastside be spike only?
If all you coasties stayed over on the west side and hunted the rosies we would probably be able to hunt branched bulls over here.  If you notice during elk season there are more people over here hunting than there is for a holiday weekend.  There wouldn't be any elk left!  Now we pay for it by true spike only!! :bash:

Bud, you live in Cle Elum. Thats pretty much a "bench" city. You're argument is weak and we need to stick together as hunters. You can drive a half hour and hunt 460 and kill as big a bull as you want, the choice is yours, if you're afraid of the jungle we "coasties" understand  :chuckle:
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline KHebden

• Pilgrim
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2011, 07:53:51 PM »
Hats off to MDGrand, think you've hit most of it on the head, but one step further, maybe we restrict to draw only for some CORE areas, these being areas that would thrive with lots of elk and great chances for hunters. as for not hunting, well if you're not drawn there would areas open to more hunters and access. The "killing" of an elk is only part of the equation the time spent with family and friends is also held dear for most, and the odds have to turn in your favor sometime.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]